No actionNo action
155 posts:
Order:    

Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
151 of 155  Wed 18th Jan 2017 9:24pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:252

On 17th Mar 2013 8:21pm, Foxcote said: Thanks Herberts lad. That's exactly what I enjoy, researching one thing and it leads you down another path! I am sure between us all, we shall solve Midland Red's poser Thumbs up There was also the 'Radenite' battery maker just past the General Wolfe on the left hand side going towards Longford, by Wilson's Meters.
Radenite batteries was on the corner of Foleshill Road and Blackwell Road. George Wilson's gas meters was on the corner of Livingstone Road. I believe The Radenite factory was either listed or scheduled to be but was demolished, a good few years ago. The building which replaced it still doesn`t appear to be finished. The Radenite building is probably what was Repanco in the 50`s/60`s and is opposite the end of George Eliot Road. Edited by member, 18th Jan 2017 9:49 pm Post moved from topic Ghost ads on 19th Jan 2017 8:05 am
Foleshill
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
152 of 155  Thu 19th Jan 2017 7:32am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:414

Radenite Batteries was there for umpteen years when I used to visit my aunt in Foleshill on the bus. My paternal grandfather was a tinsmith, and the family moved to Cov from Brum in 1923, when he was offered a better paid job at George Wilson's gas meters. In those days Coventry was booming, and it was said that the streets were paved with gold. This reputation obviously reached the USA, evidenced by the US military marching song:
I don't know but it's been said, streets of Birmingham a' lined with lead; I don't know but I've been told, streets o' Coventry lined with gold.
So that proves it. The family always lived in Earlsdon, and in later years my granddad worked nearby, at a factory in Hawkins Road. I'm not sure if this was Wilson's - does anyone know. He had quite a well paid job as a working foreman, and received a small payment out of the profits, maybe a bonus or something. That factory was a short walk through the jetties to their house in Broomfiled Road. My nan often related that if he was not home by 1800 hours, she knew where he was - he had stopped off in the Albany for a quick one, which invariably lasted until closing time. He was a 7-days-a-week heavy drinker, and would stagger home at about 2300 hours. One evening, she waited for him behind the kitchen door, armed with a carving knife, and threatened to run him through, such was her accumulated frustration at his boozing habits. He was still working full-time up to the age of 70. Then he died.
Foleshill
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
153 of 155  Thu 19th Jan 2017 10:25am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:884

The George Wilson gas meter factory was on Livingstone Road. It was on the opposite side from the swimming baths and took up much of the street. It had a frontage on Foleshill Road too. It was actually split in two by the office where I worked, the Coventry City Council Weights & Measures Department, as Wilson's had the factory on one side and their offices on the other. I believe that the Weights & Measures offices and testing labs were once part of Wilsons too, many years before, but were bought by the council and became a state of the art weighing and measuring facility which housed an amazing array of standards and equipment.
Foleshill
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
154 of 155  Thu 19th Jan 2017 10:33am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4908

They actually have their own thread here Thumbs up
Foleshill
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
155 of 155  Tue 22nd May 2018 9:55am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:432

I'm posting this as an addition to the Woodway Lane and Potters Green topic, it is more appropriate here. For anyone interested in reading about Foleshill and what the 1840 directory has to offer. Edited by member, 22nd May 2018 9:56 am
Foleshill

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 151 to 155 of 155 posts

Page 11 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Water features in town
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry rugger (from "Cov" and Coundon Road to Butts and Wasps)
View similar topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2018

Load time: 88ms