Next pageNo action
198 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
181 of 198  Mon 8th Jul 2019 1:41pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3136

But for all the heavy industry in Foleshill, there were other things - amenities. The Livingstone swimming pool, a few yards down was a gymnastic club above Farr and Reddy's bakery - this club had all the equipment for competition. On the other side of the road to the bakery was a small bric-a-bac shop, amongst other things the grey-haired proprietor sold Charles Atlas books/schedules. He was well built and an old strong man, circus performer. Here he had a pair of John Skeaping racehorse statuettes that I bought from him. A girl at the gym club told me they belonged to her grandmother and had been stolen, and if she saw them close up she could prove it. I could sense her tensing up - the girl was of a rapturous beauty but of an oddly cold, uninvolving nature. "Well, the only way you can see them, you will have to visit my apartment". She walked away. Then she changes, walks back, and whispers, "I have half-day tomorrow, can we meet?" We met at 2pm. She smiles, she makes jokes, we walked to my place. She hardly glanced at the statuettes. A spring afternoon pours into your heart like a river. She left at a few minutes before 11pm for the last bus. Everything is radiant, I sleep like a log. I think, "Yes, there is more to Foleshill than industry".
Foleshill (inc. Foleshill Road)
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
182 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 9:27am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2347

Sorry to report that it seems what was an old church (anyone know what it was called?) that was being used at some point as a nursery on Station Street East appears to have burnt down last night. It was fairly derelict by all accounts which leads me to suspect arson may be involved, but sad nonetheless. (Temp FB photo (c) Adnam Rahman) (c) the Telegraph - Edited by member, 18th Sep 2019 9:29 am
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
183 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 10:59am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1563

Hi Neil, could it have been Paradise School? That seems to be advertised to let on t'internet.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
184 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 11:17am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2347

Similarities Anne but I don't think so.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
185 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 12:48pm  

I think that is a different one Neil. They are both listed on the British History site. The Primitive Methodist School is in Cross Street. Paradise School is in Station Street East. They are both referred to in the newspapers as well. Edited by member, 18th Sep 2019 1:28 pm
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
186 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 4:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4211

Afternoon all Wave Quote from British History. "Another congregation originated as a domestic meeting in 1941, and from 1947 to 1954 occupied a room in Paradise School in Station Street East". Most of any activity around Foleshill before about 1962 is out of my bounds as despite my family connection to both Station Street West Methodist and Durbar Avenue "Free Methodist" (I will do forty week teaching on that if anyone is still alive) as I grew up and lived in Wyken. What I do remember was the Salvation Army having an asbestos hut in Broad Street which often needed renovation, so they used the church that has gone up in smoke from time to time.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
187 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 4:52pm  

On 18th Sep 2019 11:17am, NeilsYard said: Similarities Anne but I don't think so.
That building on the corner of Cross Road & Stoney Stanton Rd, Neil, was demolished when the new Holbrooks bypass was built. It was often referred to as Paradise chapel, not because of its "Heavenly" or otherwise status, it happened to be in the district know as Paradise, where opposite was Paradise post office. Now an open all hours shop. This was a poor area, of generally hard working folk at the time that these churches/schools were built. The reason for the "school" terminology is because at the time, state funded schools were as rare as railway model shops are now. So, the only education youngsters received was Sunday school. Not a happy clappy singalong, as I remember Sunday school. It was a day of learning the three Rs. Hope that makes sense. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
188 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 6:50pm  

Getting confused now Philip !! Isn't this the one in Neil's picture without the front or is there another church/school.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
189 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 7:43pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:222

A search on Old-Maps.co.uk shows it as an infants school. The Derelict Places website suggests it was Paradise BD infants school (closed 1959), and then a Day Centre/Nursery (closed 1994). Peter.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
190 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 9:23pm  

This is the one in Station Street East that had the fire Peter I think, not the Primitive Methodist School in Neil’s picture in Cross Road. Edited by member, 18th Sep 2019 9:30 pm
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
191 of 198  Wed 18th Sep 2019 10:15pm  

Hope this works
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
192 of 198  Thu 19th Sep 2019 9:18am  

Weren't they on either side of the road? I should know the thousands of times I went down the street. But hey look at that, about 2/3 doors down. Early 50s. We had a wild telephone call, “Come quick, a bomb gone off in our kitchen.” “Address?” The phone went down. We raced to Station Street East, the police were there from round the corner. We put the water on the fire, the Chief spoke to the police and the stricken woman and daughter. We entered, the smoke and flames horrendous, we got it under control. I was sent upstairs to check the rooms. The aftermath - the woman had put a metal toilet ball, that controlled the flow, in the oven to dry, it had exploded. The fire too high, really a chimney fire and kitchen fire combined, but people panic. We would have been parked about three doors down from that fire engine in the photo.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
193 of 198  Thu 19th Sep 2019 12:34pm  

Thank's Philip, I can see on the map there is another Primitive Methodist Chapel in Holbrook Lane built in 1847. But I still think the answer to Neil's original question is that it is none of these Methodist Chapels but Paradise School in Station Station Street East that had the fire.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
194 of 198  Thu 19th Sep 2019 1:51pm  

NeilsYard, If it was just inside Station Street on the right, could it have been St Paul’s Church?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
195 of 198  Thu 19th Sep 2019 2:25pm  

On 19th Sep 2019 12:34pm, Annewiggy said: Thank's Philip, I can see on the map there is another Primitive Methodist Chapel in Holbrook Lane built in 1847. But I still think the answer to Neil's original question is that it is none of these Methodist Chapels but Paradise School in Station Station Street East that had the fire.
Actually, I agree Anne. You have unravelled the confusion. That's the three brill salute!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 181 to 195 of 198 posts

Page 13 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's Universities
|

Next (newer) topic

Forum Breakfast Meet-ups