No actionNo action
181 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
181 of 181  Mon 8th Jul 2019 1:41pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2923

But for all the heavy industry in Foleshill, there were other things - amenities. The Livingstone swimming pool, a few yards down was a gymnastic club above Farr and Reddy's bakery - this club had all the equipment for competition. On the other side of the road to the bakery was a small bric-a-bac shop, amongst other things the grey-haired proprietor sold Charles Atlas books/schedules. He was well built and an old strong man, circus performer. Here he had a pair of John Skeaping racehorse statuettes that I bought from him. A girl at the gym club told me they belonged to her grandmother and had been stolen, and if she saw them close up she could prove it. I could sense her tensing up - the girl was of a rapturous beauty but of an oddly cold, uninvolving nature. "Well, the only way you can see them, you will have to visit my apartment". She walked away. Then she changes, walks back, and whispers, "I have half-day tomorrow, can we meet?" We met at 2pm. She smiles, she makes jokes, we walked to my place. She hardly glanced at the statuettes. A spring afternoon pours into your heart like a river. She left at a few minutes before 11pm for the last bus. Everything is radiant, I sleep like a log. I think, "Yes, there is more to Foleshill than industry".
Foleshill (inc. Foleshill Road)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 181 to 181 of 181 posts

Page 13 of 13

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 13
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Ravensdale School
|

Next (newer) topic

Hertford Street