No actionNo action
41 posts:
Order:    

colintheglen
Bempton, Yorkshire
All posts by this member
31 of 41  Sun 12th Feb 2017 10:57pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:3

Hi All, Although I have been a member for a couple of years I have not really done a post as such, so can you all make an allowance if I drop the odd mistake or two, thanks and hello to all. I always read the forum every morning whilst munching on my cornflakes and have found many great articles which I can relate to, Frederick Bird School, Hillfields and Stoke related topics to name a few, so when Eli Green's Triangle came to my notice, old memories were stirred with the superb collection of photo's which I thank Covjb35 for providing. As a young lad in the late fifties / early sixties I remember it fondly as I made my way along it with my mate who had the nickname Mammoth (he was on the large side a bit) to attend Cubs in the St Peter's Parish Rooms at the far end of Yardley Street and I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that a company called Liggins were there producing garments or possibly underwear? There was a archway that went through the line of the terrace, about one third down from the Berry Street end giving access to the courtyard inside the triangle. Great Forum, love reading articles Cheers
Eli's triangle, etc
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
32 of 41  Mon 13th Feb 2017 11:44am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2194

Hi Colin Wave I'd love to hear what that courtyard was like inside!
Eli's triangle, etc
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
33 of 41  Mon 13th Feb 2017 6:10pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:546

On 12th Feb 2017 10:57pm, colintheglen said: I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that a company called Liggins were there producing garments or possibly underwear? There was a archway that went through the line of the terrace, about one third down from the Berry Street end giving access to the courtyard inside the triangle.
You are right there was a company called Liggins, I remember it being in Brook Street/Vernon Street and they made lingerie. Mum had a friend who worked there, she used to bring me off cuts of lace that I used to make dolls' clothes. I can't remember the archway in Berry Street but hopefully someone who lived in the area will.
Eli's triangle, etc
Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
34 of 41  Mon 13th Feb 2017 9:09pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:192

I don't remember an arch on Berry Street either, Tricia, but I can see what looks like an arch in post #1, photo 13, on the Vernon Street side.
Eli's triangle, etc
colintheglen
Bempton, Yorkshire
All posts by this member
35 of 41  Mon 13th Feb 2017 9:24pm  

Hi, Tricia I'm sorry for misleading you, what I meant was that the archway / entrance was in Vernon Street about 1/3rd down from the Berry Street end, it had, I seem to remember blue wooden doors which were closed when I went past on my way to cubs at around 5.30 in the evening around 1962-4, so like Neil, I also would like to know what the inside was like, but I suppose what was behind the blue doors must remain a mystery!
Eli's triangle, etc
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
36 of 41  Thu 16th Feb 2017 4:34pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1522

Just started to read "Pioneers to power". There is a comment that the owner of the Vernon Street block was not over-scrupulous about such niceties as bye-laws. He was not content to sell power from his steam engine on one side of the street, but he dug a trench in the dead of one dark night, laid down a shaft to carry power to the other side of the road, and covered it up before dalylight. The trench, with the original shaft still in place, was discovered during road excavations in the late 1940's.
Eli's triangle, etc
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
37 of 41  Tue 10th Sep 2019 4:29pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1080

On 25th Oct 2013 5:15pm, Covjb35 said: 14) A house in Hillfields, but I'm uncertain where. 1971.
Photo 14.The house in Hillfields looks very like the St Peter's Vicarage, Brook St, right at the end of the shot.
On 1st Nov 2013 10:14am, NormK said:
Post 20. NormK gives a better view of the Vicarage. Guarantees it is the same as in Photo 14. Edited by member, 10th Sep 2019 4:32 pm
Eli's triangle, etc
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
38 of 41  Tue 10th Sep 2019 5:28pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:683

Sorry Prof, definitely not the Vicarage in photo 14. In NormK pic (post 20) top right is the Vicarage, to the right of the big tree. The Vicarage stood in its own walled grounds with its entrance by the entrance to Primrose Hill Park, the short side road off Paynes Lane. My area, spent a lot of time at the Vicarage and the gardens parties were held in the grounds around it. I used to help out with them, knew Father Jones and Brother Stuart well who later became Father Stuart, his church being in Rugby. Thumbs up Edited by member, 10th Sep 2019 5:30 pm
Eli's triangle, etc
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
39 of 41  Tue 10th Sep 2019 7:43pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1080

Thanks Scrutiny for putting me right. I well remember the Vicarage in its walled garden, as you say near Primrose Hill Park behind. It just looked like a similar house to me, but of course it is not the same. 9 bus went round it into Paynes Lane.
Eli's triangle, etc
Blueleader
Coventry
All posts by this member
40 of 41  Tue 10th Sep 2019 8:19pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:48

On 10th Sep 2019 5:28pm, scrutiny said: I used to help out with them, knew Father Jones and Brother Stuart well who later became Father Stuart, his church being in Rugby. Thumbs up Edited by member, 10th Sep 2019 5:30 pm
I think it was Eric Jones who was Padre at 8F Squadron ATC. I remember marching to St Peters on the first Sunday in the month. I remember Brother Stuart too. They were happy days!
Ric Osborne

Eli's triangle, etc
colintheglen
Bempton, Yorkshire
All posts by this member
41 of 41  Wed 11th Sep 2019 6:39pm  

Hi all I now live in a coastal village on the East Riding/North Yorkshire border after leaving Coventry 2 years ago after taking early retirement and every day I read the HFC to keep in touch, love the nostalgia of the forum and the memories people share, so thanks for my breakfast read to all. Hope I can shed a little light on the articles 37-39. I believe the building in photo 14, was located on the left corner of Paynes Lane and Lansdowne Road looking from the corner of Oxford Street. The large building in black and white photo is not the vicarage, the vicarage was located behind the large tree to its right and cannot be seen. The building in the photo is located on the top left side of Berry St, opposite to the apex end of the Eli’s triangle and backs onto Primrose Hill Park. The house is still standing whereas the vicarage has long since been demolished, early 80’s I think. Adjacent to the house was a footpath which ran from Berry St to Nicholls St, a gents public toilet was located next to the house, which also backed on the park. Along the left hand side of the path was the park border. St Peters Vicarage was situated on the right side of the pathway (walking from Berry St) with its boundaries along this path to the top part of Paynes Lane, where there was a wall which in turn ran back to the start of the path in Berry St, so the grounds of the vicarage formed a quarter circle shape roughly, where the vicarage stood was in the middle of the grounds and was a detached house, where every summer the fete was held and accessed by a double gate in Paynes Lane. I can remember the summer fetes being held in the grounds in the early sixties, they even had the local pop group The Sorrows playing there around 1962. The last time I went there was about 1967, when I played football for St Peters in the Choristers League and the vicar of the time wished us well for the forthcoming season. Paynes Lane runs from the Park Gates over Catherine St and Berry St to Gosford Green (I can still remember the Park Keepers Cottage which was demolished early 60’s). In 1966 England won the World Cup and after passing my 11 plus I was duly despatched to Binley Park Comprehensive for schooling, thus 5 days a week were spent traipsing this route from my home in Burlington Road, back and forth to Gosford Green to catch the No11 bus and have the route engraved in my mind. I’ve found this map on an article by Derrick Arthur on the forum, I hope you don’t mind my borrowing it. Photo poser - Factory workers, Post 25. On the right hand side of the map it shows the locations of the vicarage, footpath and park. Hope this helps Cheers Edited by member, 12th Sep 2019 6:31 am
Eli's triangle, etc

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 41 of 41 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Boxing and boxers
|

Next (newer) topic

Railways around Coventry