31 of 43  Thu 2nd Feb 2017 11:14am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1499

Eli's triangle, etc
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
32 of 43  Thu 2nd Feb 2017 3:13pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:846

Is that the overhead driveshaft hanging down from the top floor Neil?

Question

Milly rules

Eli's triangle, etc
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
33 of 43  Thu 2nd Feb 2017 4:19pm  

Yes Norm - if you look back to the start of this thread you will see some amazing photos taken by forum member Covjb35 before they were bulldozed including the driveshafts.
Eli's triangle, etc
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
34 of 43  Thu 2nd Feb 2017 4:50pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:846

Thanks Neil. We demolished quite a few of these Top shop houses and I can't remember seeing any of the shafts at all, maybe they hadn't got it in all of them.
Milly rules

Eli's triangle, etc
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
35 of 43  Thu 2nd Feb 2017 7:17pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:448

On 14th Oct 2016 4:23am, Dreamtime said: Great pictures Heathite - a window cleaner's dream I should imagine! Roll eyes
I would imagine the "Omo" washing powder salesman did quite well round there as well Cheers
Eli's triangle, etc
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
36 of 43  Sat 11th Feb 2017 2:48pm  

I think the chap with his dog is on Vernon Street looking at the final remnant of the Triangle that still remains on Brook Street with Berry Street on the right. At that time Vernon Street ran on to Yardley Street at the junction with Brook Street which you can see in the distance with the Ring O'Bells pub. And yes we think somewhere down the line there is a family connection with Yardley Street Big grin Edited by member, 11th Feb 2017 3:29 pm
Eli's triangle, etc
Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
37 of 43  Sat 11th Feb 2017 10:04pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:188

You are exactly right on the location, NeilsYard Thumbs up
Eli's triangle, etc
colintheglen
Whitley
All posts by this member
38 of 43  Sun 12th Feb 2017 10:57pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:2

Hi All, Although I have been a member for a couple of years I have not really done a post as such, so can you all make an allowance if I drop the odd mistake or two, thanks and hello to all. I always read the forum every morning whilst munching on my cornflakes and have found many great articles which I can relate to, Frederick Bird School, Hillfields and Stoke related topics to name a few, so when Eli Green's Triangle came to my notice, old memories were stirred with the superb collection of photo's which I thank Covjb35 for providing. As a young lad in the late fifties / early sixties I remember it fondly as I made my way along it with my mate who had the nickname Mammoth (he was on the large side a bit) to attend Cubs in the St Peter's Parish Rooms at the far end of Yardley Street and I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that a company called Liggins were there producing garments or possibly underwear? There was a archway that went through the line of the terrace, about one third down from the Berry Street end giving access to the courtyard inside the triangle. Great Forum, love reading articles Cheers
Eli's triangle, etc
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
39 of 43  Mon 13th Feb 2017 11:44am  

Hi Colin Wave I'd love to hear what that courtyard was like inside!
Eli's triangle, etc
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
40 of 43  Mon 13th Feb 2017 6:10pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:539

On 12th Feb 2017 10:57pm, colintheglen said: I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that a company called Liggins were there producing garments or possibly underwear? There was a archway that went through the line of the terrace, about one third down from the Berry Street end giving access to the courtyard inside the triangle.
You are right there was a company called Liggins, I remember it being in Brook Street/Vernon Street and they made lingerie. Mum had a friend who worked there, she used to bring me off cuts of lace that I used to make dolls' clothes. I can't remember the archway in Berry Street but hopefully someone who lived in the area will.
Eli's triangle, etc
Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
41 of 43  Mon 13th Feb 2017 9:09pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:188

I don't remember an arch on Berry Street either, Tricia, but I can see what looks like an arch in post #1, photo 13, on the Vernon Street side.
Eli's triangle, etc
colintheglen
Whitley
All posts by this member
42 of 43  Mon 13th Feb 2017 9:24pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:2

Hi, Tricia I'm sorry for misleading you, what I meant was that the archway / entrance was in Vernon Street about 1/3rd down from the Berry Street end, it had, I seem to remember blue wooden doors which were closed when I went past on my way to cubs at around 5.30 in the evening around 1962-4, so like Neil, I also would like to know what the inside was like, but I suppose what was behind the blue doors must remain a mystery!
Eli's triangle, etc
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
43 of 43  Thu 16th Feb 2017 4:34pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:988

Just started to read "Pioneers to power". There is a comment that the owner of the Vernon Street block was not over-scrupulous about such niceties as bye-laws. He was not content to sell power from his steam engine on one side of the street, but he dug a trench in the dead of one dark night, laid down a shaft to carry power to the other side of the road, and covered it up before dalylight. The trench, with the original shaft still in place, was discovered during road excavations in the late 1940's.
Eli's triangle, etc

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 43 of 43 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Keith John Davis
|

Next (newer) topic

West Orchard
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 50ms)