No actionNo action
2 posts:
Order:    

Billybobs
South Warwickshire
All posts by this member
1 of 2  Sat 2nd Nov 2013 2:49pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:20

Browsing through the numerous topics, brought back many memories, one which I can't see covered elsewhere is the arrival of the circus each year (sometimes twice) on Hearsall Common. Hopefully we can put aside the arguments of cruelty to animals because as kids we didn't know any different. Billy Smarts and Chipperfields were the regular visitors. I remember the elephants walk from the goods yard near the station. In the early years I recall it being quite a parade with clowns and other animals being involved. There was always the rumour at school that if you helped erect the big tent you would get free tickets, never did happen - either help raise the tent or the free tickets. Mind you I do recall cycling around whilst the tent was being erected, the old elf n' safety police would be horrified now! There was one year when Mr Pastry - do you remember him - was travelling with the circus. Kids who lived locally were often seen near to the tent, normally cycling around taking in the atmosphere and the smell of sawdust. I don't think we ever caused any problems. One morning we saw Pastry just outside his caravan, we were probably 30 yds away, causing no problems, but suddenly for no apparent reason there was a cascade of abhorrent language coming from his direction. In no uncertain terms we were being told to clear off or words to that effect.
The Circus comes to Town
mickw
nuneaton
All posts by this member
2 of 2  Sat 2nd Nov 2013 4:42pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:441

Hi Billybobs. My dad was the park keeper at Hearsall Common, me and my mate used go to help him take in the football nets after the games. I remember once we went to watch them put the circus tent up but wouldn't let us help but when the fair arrived the man erecting the chairoplanes which was a large roundabout with chairs hanging off chains let us help him, he said he couldn`t pay us but said we could have some free rides when they opened which we did. We stayed on it for most of the night as I recall being extremely sick afterwards. Didn`t go to help after that. Thanks for the memory Thumbs up Thumbs up
The Circus comes to Town

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

B J Timing & Son - Butchers, Brook Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry in 3D
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 328ms)