No actionNo action
116 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
106 of 116  Fri 7th Sep 2018 3:44pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3125

TSP To me, Rider Betts could be a long story of survival. I'm not sure if they started in Broadgate, but if not, I'm not sure if you know but that bridge linking the two buildings in the centre is the hook and chains that hoisted the bags from off the flat dray lorries into the building and visa-versa. On either side the buildings held the goods corn, cow-cake etc, not sure if they sold blocks of salt. But before the First World War it would have been horses so they would have had stables, many horses, drays, and I believe they had large courtyard next door - I also think the dray-drivers lived in those cottages in the street. But those drivers would have known what each horse was capable of - to take a large load up Bishop Street may have taken a team of six, horses would have fallen to their knees on steep ascents, or maybe they would have attached two extra, unhooked the two at the top and some boy employed to bring them back. The return journey, if laden, the horses were often trapped by their heavy loads which overtook them. In the days before pavements and tarmac roads the drivers would simply drive into the grass verge as a means of slowing down. In 1914 firms had to give up two thirds of their horses to the Army, unable to replace them for years, but by then they were replaced by engined vehicles - many firms did go broke during the period. That Rider Betts survived is one of the stories of Coventry's history.
West Orchard
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
107 of 116  Fri 7th Sep 2018 7:06pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1635

Another fascinating recollection. I'm always bemused by the old photographs of streets with nothing but horses. My mind can't grasp how long photography has been around. Vehicles with horse power are a lot more familiar to me than real horse power.
West Orchard
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
108 of 116  Sat 8th Sep 2018 12:38am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3353

You remembered to get your balloon from the rag 'n' bone man then Helen? I remember him very well for a few years after WWII. Kind of missed him in a way.
West Orchard
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
109 of 116  Sun 9th Sep 2018 10:25am  

I'm looking through this topic again and I believe there's a few errors - but then I could be wrong. Neil - your photo on post 47, Gibney 1890-1910, looks to me there's a cinema advert on the wall, Laurel and Hardy? Late twenties or early thirties?
West Orchard
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
110 of 116  Wed 3rd Oct 2018 10:14am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2329

No Kaga - as per the photo it's around the turn of the century. The photo came from a Gibney family relative. I have a large copy which I can zoom in on - cannot see Laurel and Hardy/Cinema Ad?
West Orchard
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
111 of 116  Wed 3rd Oct 2018 11:54am  

Neils yard, OK, thank you. I don't have your ability, accept what you say. Regards, Kaga.
West Orchard
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
112 of 116  Sun 7th Oct 2018 3:51pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1120

The Fish Market, West Orchard, post blitz
West Orchard
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
113 of 116  Fri 26th Oct 2018 1:19am  

Interesting Blitz damage image of West Orchard looking east, and the bombed out 'new' Owens building - slightly further east and earlier than Prof's image above. Edited by member, 26th Oct 2018 1:20 am
West Orchard
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
114 of 116  Fri 18th Jan 2019 3:03pm  

NeilsYard. Opposite the car above was MHW iron works. Here they had a massive forge. I believe the building had a corrugated iron (not sure) roof, but when the sun shone in the summer, and the flames of the furnace rose so did the temperature, so the big doors were wide open. The air itself, in and around the factory, was hot. All day long, the place resounded with the deafening noise of the forge - iron on iron - and the shop filled with iron bars, broken wheels, broken ovens. All the same the forge had a great power of attraction. There was always people standing round watching. The men seemed to work at superhuman pace, as if life depended on getting the particular job finished in the next five minutes. It was a fine sight to watch them banding a wheel, or twist and turn iron bars into shapes of flowers and plants for the backdrop of fireplaces and gates etc. It set one's imagination travelling along tracks of swords, shields, and all from hammering the iron. Cannon, and civilization, the plough, the wheel. But also the rhythm of the blacksmith's hammer was to me like an ancient song, a mythical force. It was the Coventry I knew as a boy, and lost.
West Orchard
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
115 of 116  Mon 10th Jun 2019 10:07am  

Interesting view of what was left on West Orchard post-war here - Edited by member, 10th Jun 2019 10:07 am
West Orchard
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
116 of 116  Mon 10th Jun 2019 12:03pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3353

On 7th Oct 2018 3:51pm, Prof said: The Fish Market, West Orchard, post blitz
Gosh Prof, I remember the old fish market when a toddler. All that fish out in the open air for sale!
West Orchard

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 106 to 116 of 116 posts

Page 8 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Stivichall Infant and Junior Schools
|

Next (newer) topic

Canley (inc. Sir Henry Parkes School)