Next pageLast page
107 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 107  Sun 24th Nov 2013 6:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3852

Hi all Wave We might be forgiven for drawing conclusions about criminality when we hear someone's name or country of origin where we pronounce them guilty on just that. There is nothing to suggest anything out of the ordinary with this individual from his name, but just read on, but not too much as it might make you sick! It has with me! Sad A Methodist minister too. I come from a Methodist tradition, so it hurts even more. Paul Flowers
Sorry state (non-Cov)
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 107  Wed 20th Aug 2014 11:02pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3852

Hi all Wave Crime affects us all. The cost of policing as well as the whole justice system. Even worse is when we become victims of crime. All of the best schemes of prevention can & do fail from time to time. On-line shopping is fraught with risks, for me the biggest issue is knowing, or not knowing who I am dealing with. eBay give a rating for every trader, as well as their period length of trading. I have always given highest priority to who I am trading with, no matter whether on line or from a shop. I have yet to be a victim of fraud on ebay, & whilst most of my purchases are relatively small in value, I have bought a couple of high-tech music bits as well as a camera. Those all came from a trader with a physical shop. I also sent a technical enquiry to the traders, just so as to test that he knew about the items that he was selling. There are things that we can do to minimise risk, although nothing will ever be full proof. Please don't feel afraid to ask advice from a member of your family, a trusted neighbour or even ask to see if there is advice on here from anyone. I do try to stick to my own rule, that if I do not know who it is that is trading, then I do not do business with them, no matter what. That applies on line, door to door or to anyone. Please keep safe. Wave
Sorry state (non-Cov)
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
3 of 107  Thu 21st Aug 2014 9:46am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:474

If it looks too good to be true, it most likely is.. Wink
Sorry state (non-Cov)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 107  Wed 28th Jan 2015 3:52pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1642

Hi all, I suppose today the word 'Scam' is what we used to call con-men. and Coventry had there share back in the fifties, (or do we want to hide it under the carpet) but then it was more open. Young Coventry lad I knew off, slightly, was working on Victoria station, with a chocolate and soft drinks kind of trolley,with time to spare we talked, he told me he had to get out of Coventry, (police attention), while talking I noticed he was short changing everyone, when I asked him about it he told me to clear 'off' Later I heard he got 'hot' in London. went to Marseilles, joined the French Foreign Legion, three days later they dumped him back in Marseilles, in a pair of torn shorts, an old vest and his passport, no money, no anything. After some years of trying, three Coventry con-men finally conned me out of a 'sum' of money,Luckily some six-months later, with the help of a young lady and a guy of authority, I did the same to them, retrieved my money and a little extra. The great days of the fifties, I was known as a 'character' and I loved every minute of it.
Sorry state (non-Cov)
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
5 of 107  Fri 30th Jan 2015 12:50pm  

It has been suggested that the word SCAM came from this.. Scamp.. noun.. an unscrupulous and often mischievous person; rascal; rogue; scalawag.,

Maybe if I had been given a name like yours, I would have had an interesting life too.. Smile. As it is, I have spent most of my life in the middle of a self-made debris field, trying to find something with which to build a life again. I guess that it was interesting at times, exciting watching everything I touched explode in front of me, but not anything that one could call successful. This fourth time,I have not done very well, still as poor as a church mouse that has been mugged. If I was a Coventry building, I would be the old Cathedral, full of good intentions but no roof.. Lol See? It's all in the name Michael..

Sorry state (non-Cov)
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
6 of 107  Fri 30th Jan 2015 2:49pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2870

Well the old Cathedral is still standing Mike and being so has brought a lot of citizens lots of comfort over the years. I only remember it as it is now and it served me as if it was whole again, so the name Michael has a great significance to most people. I wish you well. Wave
Sorry state (non-Cov)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
7 of 107  Sat 31st Jan 2015 7:08pm  

Mike, Hi, nickname, way back when I was a kid, a left handed person was called kaggy-handed, but at two years of age couldn;t manage that, just kaga, it stuck until I was seventeen, now a family joke, and talking about my childhood down the slough, introduced as kaga on this forum, let it stay. Many kid as hated the name they were given at school, but to young to do much about it. Now I am well past my sell-by-date, thought I would share my unusual experiences with other people 'no worries' hey was in a bank once, big explosion money floating through the windows, into the street 'free for all' never seen a film to match it. Regards Kaga.
Sorry state (non-Cov)
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
8 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 2:29am  

I am amazed that you were allowed to be kaggy. It was really looked down upon at the Cov Prep school and anybody showing signs of being kaggy was beaten into submission. I hardly knew anybody who was kaggy handed or who would admit to it. In later life, I have come across many. BTW, my nickname was 'Stupid' Lol
Sorry state (non-Cov)
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 8:54am  
Off-topic / chat  

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
10 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 9:35am  
Off-topic / chat  

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
11 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 10:27am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2359

Lol Lol Lol
Sorry state (non-Cov)
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
12 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 10:42am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:856

Mike...I think that was rather cruel...Don't think I would have stood that sort or any sort of bullying at school. My school nickname was Budgie because one teacher said that I had more rattle than a budgerigar ..That name stuck till I went to work at Newdigate Colliery where my nickname became Roundhead or just Round but I have no intention of revealing the origin of that. When I worked ambulance crew in Birmingham practical jokes were everyday hazards. Ambulances then were rather basic and ambulance crews were little more than guys who could stick on a plaster. Had a call to a woman who was said to be dead on the pavement in Hurst Rd. When we arrived she was sitting up but rather shaken. Got her in the ambulance, she asked if we had a glass of water. We carried water in a glass container with a little tap at the bottom, this in turn was kept in a wooden cabinet.. I opened the cabinet and there was a small goldfish swimming around in the water.I was horrified. My body was between the fish and the woman so she couldn't see the fish. What could I do? I just gave the woman a drink and hoped that the fish was healthy. For the following twenty years I was called Goldie. The fish was then kept in a bowl at Henrietta St,after about a year it died and was buried at the back of the station with full honours...Norman
Just old and knackered

Sorry state (non-Cov)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
13 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 12:52pm  

Please people, don't let us start bickering, on this excellent forum, that's the last thing I want up to now I have had kindness and help from everyone, kind regards Kaga.
Sorry state (non-Cov)
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
14 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 1:30pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
15 of 107  Sun 1st Feb 2015 3:58pm  
Off-topic / chat  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 107 posts

Page 1 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Inner Ring Road
|

Next (newer) topic

Foxford Schools
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 54ms)