No actionNo action
532 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
526 of 532  Mon 11th Mar 2019 3:13pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:498

Amazing how times change. Growing up we never went anywhere without a knife. Usually a sheath knife or a multi-purpose penknife complete with a thing for taking stones out of horses hooves. Try as I might I never found an opportunity to use it. Weren’t Boy Scouts required to have a sheath knife as part of their equipment or am I mis-remembering that? It's only single knives that Asda are removing from sale. I think if you were buying a knife for whatever reason it would look more suspicious buying one rather than a kitchen set so I am not sure how effective it will be but we live in hope.
Sorry state
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
527 of 532  Mon 11th Mar 2019 3:49pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3017

It depends on the person not the sheath-knife. As a Boy Scout most of us carried a sheath-knife and that is where it was kept, in its sheath most of the time. We never heard of a stabbing in Coventry. But at eighteen was taught to kill with one, and how to take one off a person. Then again middle thirties in the London underworld it was all knives and not guns. People became famous names etc. but we have become a soft nation, the fine for carrying one without due authority is too light. I hate this wolf-pack thing of today's youth, rather than the fisticuffs of my day.
Sorry state
Derrickarthur
Coventry
All posts by this member
528 of 532  Mon 11th Mar 2019 6:37pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:163

I was a Boy Scout in the 1960's and used to spend many weekends at Rough Close. I caught the bus from Foleshill to town, then another to The Bell at Tile Hill, then walked to Rough Close. I was always in uniform and carried two sheath knives and a hand axe on my belt and sometimes also carried a felling axe. Can't imagine anyone getting 100 yards with those nowadays.
Sorry state
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
529 of 532  Wed 13th Mar 2019 3:56am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3318

Proper little 'Rambo' in your day then Derrickarthur. Lol
Sorry state
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
530 of 532  Wed 13th Mar 2019 8:13am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:534

When I was a kid, each of my friends always had a knife and box of matches. My knife was a modified carving knife: I'd ground the blade down so it was about 5" long, had a sharp point, and I kept it razor sharp. It was perfectly balanced and was a brilliant throwing knife - into trees or fences, not at human beings. It was a useful tool. None of us smoked, but liked to start fires and burn rubbish - not set light to people's houses. I also had a similarly sized professional lock knife. I bought it from Exchange and Mart in New Buildings. I saw a card full of them in the window, and thought they were flick knives. So I went in and asked the bloke in the shop for a flick knife. He responded with "A flick knife? Phwooarr, you'd get locked up for 20 years if you had a flick knife. Those are lock knives". All perfectly legal... then. I understand they are illegal today. What annoys me is the mamsy-pamsy attitude of politicians (all 600 plus of them, "House of Fools" as today's Daily Mail [I think it was the Mail] so aptly puts it) and judges. "Knives should only have a blunt rounded end to the blade." A lot of use such a French cook's knife (my favourite) would be in the kitchen. Same with battery acid: "Restricting the sale of acid to the public would stop acid attacks". Like heck it would. If I was determined to get some sulphuric acid, tipping some out of your bog standard car battery would not be difficult. And I'm sure anyone with a basic knowledge of chemistry could manufacture it at home. What next? A total ban on all wheeled vehicles... then nobody would ever be killed in a road traffic accident. It's typical of people in authority to treat the symptom, not the cause. It's not the knife's fault when somebody is stabbed, or the acid's fault when it's thrown into someone's face. It's the fault of a human being. The reality is that our prisons are overcrowded, and the punishment no longer fits the crime. And having a virtually non-existent police force doesn't help. Angry Edited by member, 13th Mar 2019 8:33 am
Sorry state
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
531 of 532  Wed 27th Mar 2019 1:49pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:534

On 14th Mar 2014 12:07pm, MisterD-Di said: Allesley Hall used to be the headquarters of the Coventry Parks Department at one time. The Parks Superintendent was a chap called Bill Shirran, who I seem to remember committing suicide, although I have no idea why.
A belated reply, MrD-Di; I've only just seen this post, my memory being jogged by the recent picture of an old oak tree on the Oldest Tree thread. He and his wife were customers in my parents' nearby shop (Cannon Hill Rd). My godfather's friend owned a company which did resurfacing paths and roads, and this company was getting the lion's share of Coventry Council's orders. The reason was bribes: the boss of the company had given a brand new car (a Rover 2000/2500/3500) to Mr S, and maybe others. Suddenly, CCC got suspicious, or someone blew the whistle, and they had a crackdown on bribery and corruption. Mr S couldn't face the consequences, and decided to drown himself in his car in the pool at Coombe Abbey. I can still see the picture of the car being winched out, a la Psycho, on the front page of the CET. My godfather's friend, the successful businessman, big car, cigars etc., was sent to prison. I won't name him, but he died in 2011. Another man, high up in CCC (whose son/s went to our old school), and who lived just down the road, gassed himself in his garage shortly after Bill Shirran. I wonder why...?
Sorry state
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
532 of 532  Sun 21st Jul 2019 11:03pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:203

Teenager, 15, shot in Coventry City Centre (Coventry Telegraph) Drive by shooting outside McDonalds.
Sorry state

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 526 to 532 of 532 posts

Page 36 of 36

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 . 32 33 34 35 36
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Bakers and Bakeries
|

Next (newer) topic

Air Raid Shelters etc