Next pageNo action
564 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
541 of 564  Fri 24th Jan 2020 1:42pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4259

Sadly, "A spokesperson for West Midlands Police said: “Police are investigating a burglary just before 11.30pm last night (Thursday 23 January) at Coventry Cathedral. Enquiries on-going. Crime ref: 20CV/20527D/20." I say sadly, as what a total waste of time. If the culprits, if apprehended, are not of any value, our so called justice system is unable to do anything, being completely out of touch with the reality of handling criminal dipsticks. Knife crime, the incidence of which is increasing nationally, no matter what our police do, we are all victim of the justice mayhem.
Sorry state
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
542 of 564  Fri 24th Jan 2020 3:32pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3416

Philip, I am too disgusted with our judicial system to even comment as much as I would like to, but I do agree with everything you say. The word 'conscription' comes to my mind or bring back the cane, even a good belt round the ear would do some of the delinquents more good. A school for parenting wouldn't go amiss as they could do with it as they don't know how to handle their kids it seems. Roll eyes
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
543 of 564  Fri 24th Jan 2020 4:36pm  

Hi Dreamtime, The cathedral for me is a Coventry iconic civic building, it doesn't hold any religious significance specifically for me, beyond that of its art value. I would be equally angry for any vandalism carried out against a memorial building. Hope you ok.
Sorry state
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
544 of 564  Fri 24th Jan 2020 6:44pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:277

I think we have suffered far too many years of well-intentioned do-gooders. Whilst I don't advocate unnecessary brutality, the old saying, "Spare the rod and spoil the child" had some merit, IMO. I'm not sure about National Service because unless the legal system is beefed up you might just create extra fit thugs and vandals.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
545 of 564  Thu 30th Jan 2020 10:32pm  

Hi all, This is chat, & chat only *************************** The global pandemics that occur from time to time, so worrying for everyone, mostly come about when human immunity, or disease resistance, is faced with a new bacteria combination. Prevalent particularly if a bacterial virus infection is able to jump species. Most animal gut processors are used to a particular dietary mix. We humans have adapted to a consumption mix of meat, fish, fruit & veg. One golden rule is that we don't eat a meat that itself is composed of meat consumption. In other words we don't eat dog, cat, or any other meat eater. Cattle have a gut that is designed to eat pasture, so when imported cattle feed was introduce several decades ago that contained a meat content, we gave our cattle a nerve disease that is commonly called "madcow". Poor environmental conditions with any intense animal rearing, like reared fowl in China, gave us bird flu, once the virus jumped species. I don't pretend to know what's going on, or understand more than that of a retired accountant. The reports are of a China cult of consuming bats, as the start of this latest world pandemic. That breaks the basic rule that I was taught in my first year in adult education, we don't eat a meat eater. What do our members think on this, maybe I am wrong!
Sorry state
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
546 of 564  Fri 31st Jan 2020 8:20am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1837

Feeding meat to animals we intend to eat isn't a great idea, although we have done it for as long as we've farmed pigs. This resulted in a variety of animal epidemics like swine fever, foot and mouth disease and BSE (mad cow). Poultry will also eat a varied diet, although it tends to be insects and amphibians. One source of infection is through bird droppings. Vegetables and rice can be infected with a variety of diseases like salmonella from bird or animal waste. Contrary to logic, intensive farmed birds are far safer than (true) free range or wild ones because they have weak immune systems. If they catch things they die, whereas healthy birds live to pass on their infections and harbour those diseases silently. Non free range birds are far less likely to be infected by wild birds. Close contact with birds and animals aids the transfer of diseases to humans and often it's not the consumption of those creatures that infects people, but the butchery, skinning or husbandry that allows the diseases time to figure out a new host. MERS for instance (similar to SARS) is connected to the care of camels, especially young ones. Anthrax is connected to animal skins. China is often the source of new diseases because they eat all sorts of wild creatures and butcher them in very unsanitary conditions. You may have heard of 'wet markets', which are essentially both market and slaughter house. Practices there create both splashes and aerosols of animal fluids. This vastly increases the chance a disease will make the jump to humans. SARS supposedly came from civet cats at just such a market. Ferrets are used in western science because they very closely resemble human respiratory systems. Pigs' systems are also very close to human ones and are considered a vector animal - mixing animal and bird diseases and creating ones that are pre adapted to humans. Bats are the index creature for a number of diseases including rabies. Normally they tend to infect humans because they roost in human and animal dwellings but the Chinese had to go one better and chop them up. This coronavirus is the direct result of killing wild animals. It links people to novel diseases. HIV is supposed to have jumped to humans from wild apes. This virus doesn't seem as deadly as SARS or MERS or bird flu but is much easier to catch. The unusual nature of it might mean that other animals (like pets and normal farm animals) might also catch the disease. Every creature that catches the disease and then passes it on, increases the chance it could mutate in new ways. It might even become more deadly, although there's no evidence yet to suggest it will. Our best bet is if the existing cases can be eradicated, although it's almost too late given the number of cases and the range of additional countries affected. Most at risk, are those with existing health issues, the elderly and pregnant women. In the 1918 flu pandemic, people from historically isolated communities (eg Australian aborigines) were harder hit but I'm not sure if that would still be relevant. The positive from all this is that it is possible to stop diseases. Annual colds and flu spread because we do almost nothing to prevent them. During the warm months those diseases decline because they don't favour warmth. With good discipline we could wipe it out (and a lot of colds and flu at the same time).
Sorry state
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
547 of 564  Fri 31st Jan 2020 5:33pm  

Philip and Helen, I am reading a lot of sense there and covers a very wide area, thank you both. In the news a few days ago here in Perth, it showed us a Chinese lady tucking into a designer rat. I say designer as it was cooked in a special sauce presumably for human consumption. Crispy cockroaches are also on the menus, so I dread to think of other livestock available. Then to see live dogs held in cages ready for the cooking pot.... need I say more. The RSPCA would have a field day in China. Adding to that, that's their culture so it will never change.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
548 of 564  Mon 10th Feb 2020 7:13pm  

Hi all, An almost inevitable spread of this latest of infections, as I type, eight confirmed UK cases, with more Brits confirmed, in other countries. I've listened to a host of medics on the wireless where the consensus of opinion is that our own personal hygiene is paramount. Face masks are only of limited value, as they must be changed very frequently. Once a mask becomes damp or humid, its effectiveness reduces considerably. Our hand washing appears to be the number one defence. Soap & hot water, washed frequently, our fingernails & hand crevices in particular. This particular virus is better destroyed with soap & hot water, rather than alcoholic dispensers. When my Pam was diagnosed with her serious cancer illness, I was forced to pay far more attention to my hygiene habits, which includes constant hand washing. Let's hope that the expertise of our Health Secretary's measures, along with their detection & isolation measures, result in a reduced UK infection epidemic.
Sorry state
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
549 of 564  Tue 11th Feb 2020 4:28pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3329

Sir Mark Sykes died of Spanish flu 1919, buried and sealed in a lead coffin. With permission from his relatives, in 2008 he was exhumed in the hope of finding viral traces of the flu that could be used as vaccine like for new forms. Like many soldiers of WW1, I wonder if they exhume again how ironic it might be if he turned out to be a Chinaman.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
550 of 564  Wed 12th Feb 2020 1:23pm  

Hi all, Whenever I share an issue, whether it's totally out of my grasp like this current virus scare, or if it's an issue that I do have experience with, I do try to tell it as it is. So I am delighted to copy this statement from an expert. "But John Oxford, emeritus professor of virology at Queen Mary University London, said he thought the virus had a weakness - and people's actions could help slow transmission. "It's not about wearing a mask - it's less of the hand-shaking, touching and kissing," he said, speaking on the Today programme. " So let's wash our hands like never before, constantly. That's my plea.
Sorry state
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
551 of 564  Wed 12th Feb 2020 1:33pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1128

WHAT!! Wash our hands of kissing and cuddling! You have just spoilt my day Sad Sad
Sorry state
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
552 of 564  Wed 12th Feb 2020 3:45pm  

On 12th Feb 2020 1:23pm, PhilipInCoventry said: So let's wash our hands like never before, constantly. That's my plea.
I totally agree with Philip, our local supermarket has a hand wipes dispenser at the entrance and we always use it and notice the waste bin is always full. It's a good habit to get into. We wipe the trolley handle as well as our hands.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
553 of 564  Tue 18th Feb 2020 7:32pm  

Hi all, "AN ENGLISHMANS WORD IS HIS BOND". I was raised in Coventry, during the post second war era, where that statement was often quoted. That era was generally for me a reassuring statement, which outside of the criminal elements in society, I found to be reliable. A sense of trust, even where there was adversity. Of all the sad changes that I have witnessed in our land, in nearly three quarters of a century, it's my perception that truth & trustworthiness is becoming as rare as a butchers shop. It's one of the reasons that so many elderly folk get conned. It's not that they are daft or stupid. They grew up & flourished in an atmosphere of trust & honesty. They didn't need to employ a solicitors clerk for all of life's events then, but it's my honest opinion that that is what they need now. I'm not just making reference to what's nowadays called low level antisocial conduct, it's every day business, transactions, you know men in suits stuff. Sadly I include politicians in this & the folk at the helm of our society management. Many of our members are aware of my horror of witnessing folk coaxed out of their hard earned dosh with equity release schemes, which I have tried to spell out the risks. That is just one example, but it's the volume of society deceit that is now commonplace, that when I was growing up, was confined to more or less just the criminals. Forgive me for being negative on this, but it is honestly what I am seeing.
Sorry state
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
554 of 564  Tue 18th Feb 2020 8:22pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:293

In a nutshell ,Philip, there are no longer any pillars of society to maintain the fabric.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
555 of 564  Mon 24th Feb 2020 8:46pm  

Evening all, I've just watched the Martin Lewis Money show, the last in the current series. Tonights show concentrating on scams. Personal identity theft, or even partial identity theft is so common. So much so, that even if we were to change our passwords every week, within a day, some part may have been breached. Not necessarily from our records. One of our traders or the like may have been accessed. The one thing that we can do, if we bank on-line, is to check each account that we have very regularly. Not just once a month, please. I check mine daily, using a separate device, with no phone access. That's my take on the subject of scam vulnerabilities. Hope that helps.
Sorry state

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 541 to 555 of 564 posts

Page 37 of 38

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 ... 34 35 36 37 38
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Far Gosford Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Stoke