Next pageLast page
405 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1 of 405  Sun 9th Oct 2011 5:53am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

I have just read some disturbing news regarding Coventry being 71st in UK wide league table for retail performance. After reading various comments made it seems as if the city is no longer as vibrant as it was. From what I can gather there is too much concrete and not enough modern retail. I know as I am no longer residing there and I do not have a right to comment but it looks to me as if the council and planners have their minds set elsewhere. I still love Coventry for was it WAS. I will not mention other comments made it is too heartbreaking. All the best everyone Wave
Sorry state
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 405  Sun 9th Oct 2011 5:15pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

The Precinct does look great and very appropriate under cover. Whilst I have your attention could I mention Coventry City Football Club? - in a whisper though as my husband is not a happy man at the moment unless they pull their socks up. He is an avid supporter but a real grumbleguts when they lose. #%^*+#^! Thank you for the latest entertainment you have been sending. Wave
Sorry state
BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 405  Mon 10th Oct 2011 7:29pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:120

The Lower Precinct is one of the few things the planners have got right in recent years. Popped into Cafe Nero (the round cafe) a few weeks ago with the little fella after he told me it was open. Hope it lasts longer than O'Briens did.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
4 of 405  Mon 17th Oct 2011 6:00pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3824

It's not just the architecture either. What I am saying needs serious verification, but a friend has told me that nearly half of the under 24 years of age people convicted of crime in Coventry are female. I am shocked at this & in sharing what I have been told, I actually hope that I have been told wrong. Sad This is so sad. My friend has just sent me this link for national crime. News UK news Crime Arrests of teenage girls and women reach record levels More than 250,000 detained by police in one year Crime gap narrowing between men and women Is Coventry a female crime hot-spot?
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 405  Thu 20th Oct 2011 1:57pm  

Today, I have been walking with old friends in Coventry city centre. I try to resist running my own city down, just for the sake of it, as Coventry has given me a very good living. I do however share the view of my friends who are visiting the area, that Coventry today resembled a builders yard. One of the visitors was here two years ago, when the Ironmonger Row saga of stop-go was ongoing. It does seem really as though our city planners have lost their way, lacking the guidance of robust forward planning. Over a cup of coffee, I was told that the coach party that my friends were with in general will be in no hurry to come again. Most places go through periods of re-development, like Stratford, but Coventry's never seems to come to an end. Sad Dig a hole & move it mentality.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 405  Mon 4th Jun 2012 9:50am  

BBC news Hi all Wave Sad to say this morning, that Hales St, is in the news for all of the wrong reasons. A chunk of it by the old fire station is sealed off following a stabbing during the early hours. Sad
Sorry state
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
7 of 405  Wed 16th Jan 2013 12:19am  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 405  Thu 7th Nov 2013 10:56am  

Hi all, Very sad news, from a very sad & angry Philip. Elderly Sikh man attacked in Coventry dies in hospital This kind of event does not make me proud of our city. One day*, we might take hold of our own personal responsibilities in society, instead of blaming everyone else, using any & every reason under the sun, to explain away what comes down to a bad character in an individual, whether they come from a toxic household or a palace. *That day is long overdue. Edited by member, 7th Nov 2013 11:18 am
Sorry state
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 405  Sun 10th Nov 2013 8:36pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:175

Hear hear! I find this such a very sad story - what that poor man must have been thinking when it was happening Sad Edited by member, 7th Nov 2013 11:18 am
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 405  Wed 13th Nov 2013 4:51pm  

Hi all, Morrisons supermarket manager jailed You may have noticed that I had a good old moan about our government abandoning rail safety rules the other day, well now another moan. This kind of crime described in our Telegraph, comes about partially because rules regarding the audit of "cash in transit accounts" along with "purchase & sales ledger balances" are so woolly-brained these days. In any business, these accounts are so fluid that unless they are balanced back to the actual invoices & credit-notes generated, this type of crime is easy to hide in the fast flow of money in & out. At Courtaulds, I was quite a nuisance to my colleagues when I regularly forced them out of these live accounts, whilst the computer would compile a snapshot balance. I was famous for my calling out "Keep out of AA", if my friend Paul is watching! Edited by member, 13th Nov 2013 5:11 pm
Sorry state
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 405  Thu 14th Nov 2013 3:40am  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:214

I remember running the purchase and sales ledger accounts through the computer a Courtaulds. A large deck of punched cards for the various ledgers, each batch of which had to be balanced. One became surprisingly adept at flicking through a bunch of cards and riffing them to spot the misplaced hole, then blank it off and re-punch. I can still read a punch card, though paper tape has passed out my memory now.
Sorry state
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
12 of 405  Thu 14th Nov 2013 9:48am  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
13 of 405  Thu 14th Nov 2013 5:16pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 405  Fri 15th Nov 2013 3:14am  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:214

Indeed Rodger was my first boss in Courtaulds when I started as a Data control clerk, and his wife Pat was in charge of the punch girls. We had a strong sports section in those days, and Roger was a prominent member of every team we ran, though I recall badminton was his particular forte.
Sorry state
Longford Lad
Langen, Germany
All posts by this member
15 of 405  Sat 16th Nov 2013 11:05am  
Member: Joined Jul 2013  Total posts:29

PhilipInCoventry and Disorganised1, so you were the "bean counters" behind the scenes during my time at Courtaulds! Over the years I have seen several people terminated for fiddling the books. (after I left Courtaulds). The strangest one was not done for financial gain directly. Two of my South American colleagues found themselves very close to breaking an all time sales record as they approached the end of the month, so they decided to help the numbers along. They had a friend order material to take them over the top. While they were enjoying the congratulations, they had the friend return the material for credit in the following month before the invoice was due. A new audit software to spot accounting anomalies was being tested and it raised two "red flags" on this deal. Part of the credit authorization procedure for this "new customer" had been bypassed, and also the credit approval for the returned material had gone through the system in record time. I found it incredible that people were prepared to risk their careers and livelihoods just to get a "pat on the back".
Sorry state

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 405 posts

Page 1 of 27

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .. 23 24 25 26 27
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Visiting Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Hales Street
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 69ms)