No actionNo action
27 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
16 of 27  Tue 24th Jan 2012 8:59am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4014

My first ever experience in an aeroplane was when I was aged nine. We had a school trip which cost ten shillings from Coventry aerodrome. Aerodrome, Wave that is as bad as listening to the wireless, hey! Big grin
Airbase, Baginton
Radford kid
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 27  Fri 7th Sep 2012 9:28am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:356

This is a photo of the DC6 diner Rob, if you are thinking of eating out then you will not be disappointed. Colin. My brother in law (he is a Lt with the Sea Cadets at Nuneaton, officer Commanding). My good lady wife next to him and his wife nearest the camera. You can guess who is taking the photo. It's a real nice experience. Colin. Thumbs up
Colin Walton

Airbase, Baginton
Foxcote
18 of 27  Fri 7th Sep 2012 6:58pm  
Off-topic / chat  

flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 27  Fri 7th Sep 2012 7:52pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:853

We went (2 adults, 2 kids) to Airbase last year, and it wasn't a good experience. The kids enjoyed going in the planes, but it was a complete shambles. The DC diner was supposed to open at 12:30 or something, but by 1:30 it had yet to open and the place reeked of chip fat. What with two hungry kids and a rather pathetic play area, we'd had enough and fled. If I'd paid full price I would have felt ripped off. It felt like a bit of a half-hearted attempt at something. Since then, I read this Restaurant review: DC Diner, Coventry, which makes me wonder if we had a lucky escape. Coventry Airport is fascinating in a JG Ballard sort of way, with all those derelict buildings, overgrown car parks and bits of plane knocking about. There's something about abandoned places like that. Might have to go up there with a camera one day and capture it before it's turned into an empty business park or distribution park.
Airbase, Baginton
Radford kid
Coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 27  Sat 8th Sep 2012 12:54am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:356

Sorry you had a bad experience Flapdoodle and I can imagine it was a bit stressful. There is an old saying "speak as you find". I have to say we had a great meal last night, having said that, back in May of this year my son and his wife treated us to a meal on the DC6 and it was not up to scratch, bland I would call it so we were a bit on edge in case we had a similar experience. Our meals were all good and we watched other meals being served and we were somewhat impressed, again I can only speak as I find. I'm a bit sold on aviation in general so the experience was good for me. Maybe they have got their act together, who knows. I liked it that much I bought the T shirt, now as for the various aircraft surrounding the DC6, from what was said last night it appears that any aircraft airworthy will be flown very soon to a new location down south somewhere, the area they stand on has been sold. Not sure what will be there in the future, point I am making is that if anyone wishes to take photos before they go now is the time. Colin. Thumbs up
Colin Walton

Airbase, Baginton
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
21 of 27  Sat 5th Apr 2014 8:00am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1553

If you have some time to spare this afternoon you could do worse than popping over to Coventry Airport and see them start up their Shackleton aircraft. The engines are due to start at 1:00pm this afternoon. This is one of only two working Shackleton aircraft in the world! The engines will run for 30 mins (at a cost of £20 per minute!) People will be allowed to look inside the aircraft in return for a donation and to stay onboard for the engine run will cost you £30. All donations going towards the cost of fuel. Immediately following this they will be also be running their Nimrods engines. Sounds like a good afternoon in store! Note: The entrance to head for is the one on Coventry Road, next to The Oak pub and follow the signs to the 'DC-6 Diner'. Some great background info and photos of a Shackleton can be found here
Airbase, Baginton
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 27  Sat 5th Apr 2014 10:22am  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:853

Is this one of the planes that used to be at 'Airbase'?
Airbase, Baginton
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
23 of 27  Sat 5th Apr 2014 10:26am  

Hi flap, I know it's owned by the "Shackleton Appreciation Society" - but other than that I don't know I'm afraid.
Airbase, Baginton
Pauline H
Hampshire
All posts by this member
24 of 27  Sat 5th Apr 2014 11:13am  
Member: Joined Jan 2014  Total posts:36

Hi TonyS. That sounds like a good day out. My husband would love that as he worked for Hawker Siddeley, but we are at a wedding today - never mind. Might catch it next time. Pauline H.
Airbase, Baginton
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
25 of 27  Sat 5th Apr 2014 2:08pm  

And here it is…
Airbase, Baginton
Ron
Back home in Coventry
All posts by this member
26 of 27  Wed 4th Mar 2015 12:07pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2013  Total posts:105

Back to positive news.... You may all remember that a decision was taken a couple of years back to move the bulk of the Air Atlantique collection of vintage aircraft that were based at Coventry Airport to a new base at St Mawgan/Newquay in Cornwall, effectively closing down Airbase Coventry.The aircraft maintenance (for the flyers) and the aircraft restoration (for the non-flyers) did not leave, and has continued in hangars 6 and 7 for the duration. Last summer, [free] limited access was available to the site after agreement had been reached with the Shackleton Preservation Trust, the Trust that is clearly involved with the restoration of the Avro Shackleton that has been resident at Coventry for well over 20 years. Great strides have been made with the restoration of this aircraft, which hopefully will take to the air once again within a few years. I'm extremely pleased to advise that a lot of the aircraft will be returning to Coventry and taking up residence here once again in time for a re-opening to the public on Saturday 2nd May. To mark the occasion they will be holding a Vintage Air Display. This will not be a full blown airshow but should feature all of the flying airframes within the Coventry based collection. There may be additional aircraft based elsewhere visiting for the day but confirmation regarding those will only be known a few days beforehand. The Shackleton itself will also feature. At the minimum it should ground run all four of its fully restored Griffon engines. Hopefully it will provide taxy rides - if so, certainly a unique experience. Please remember that the Classic Air Force at Coventry is not a business in the strict sense of the word. It is run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Most of the workforce are strictly volunteers. However the aircraft are maintained by fully licenced and approved engineers. If they were not, the aircraft simply would not be given the necessary approvals and certificates to fly. Running such a facility clearly costs money - a lot of it. You can support them yourselves by becoming a member of the Classic Air Force itself. You can become a volunteer - and a lot of them are required to support the planned openings of the Coventry 'Classic Air Force - Airbase' this summer. Or you can just support the project by visiting the site itself. Remember that not all flying aircraft will be on site at the time of every visit. With Coventry being central, it will be used as the main base for the flyers as they fly off to perform their various displays at airshows around the country throughout the summer season, earning money to help keep vintage aircraft doing what they do best - flying. Please try and spread the word to support this project as much as possible. Thanks
Airbase, Baginton
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
27 of 27  Sun 10th May 2015 4:58pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1213

For you aviation fans, Just a few pictures from "Airbase gets Airborne" on 2nd May. Pity it was so cold! The museum is open Thursday to Sunday and you can even have a cup of coffee in the DC6 Diner! Classic Air Force Web site
Airbase, Baginton

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 27 of 27 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

M S Garratt
|

Next (newer) topic

Scouts & Guides in Coventry