No actionNo action
9 posts:
Order:    

Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 9  Mon 10th Oct 2011 10:35pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:236

I recently had an hour to kill while my car was MOT`d and took these pictures in an historic Coventry road. When it has been identified, I have four more pictures and a couple of questions to ask.
Photo poser 6
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 9  Tue 11th Oct 2011 3:11am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3022

Thanks Greg Thumbs up I guessed rather than knew the answer pretty quick but in checking my answer I learned a lot about that area I didn't previously know.
Photo poser 6
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 9  Tue 11th Oct 2011 7:35am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1124

Ah yes, not far from me that lot. That poor old clock has had that tyre and wheel rim "hoopla'd" over it for years now - it really is about time they removed the ugly metal surrounding fence and did something nice with it, it's the least that pleasant area deserves. I'll leave the guessing to someone else though....
Photo poser 6
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 9  Tue 11th Oct 2011 9:01am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Yes, both Rob and I have covered this area with our photos past and present The bicycle tyre has become something of a landmark ! But it's really time for it to go and the whole site tidied
Photo poser 6
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 9  Tue 11th Oct 2011 8:14pm  

Thank you all for your comments. The second part of my query regards the tree in picture 7 and two missing plaques. The tree looks as though it is in the garden of the house, on Binley Road, near to the junction with Marlborough Road but is surrounded by high railings and used to have a mounted plaque at its base detailing its legend. I think it may be tied up with Coombe Abbey but I wondered if any of you can remember the story/legend of this historic tree? Also, picture 8 shows the low wall which runs at the back of the green between South Avenue and Paynes Lane. There used to be a plaque on this wall (probably stolen for scrap at some time) which gave the history of horse racing which apparrently took place there, a long time ago. Does anyone have any info on this plaque or its contents? I share your views about the monument MR. Like so many of the small things in the City which,are a real part of our heritage and should be preserved, nobody seems to care. So sad!!
Photo poser 6
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 9  Tue 11th Oct 2011 8:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Do you mean Brays Lane rather than Paynes Lane?
Photo poser 6
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 9  Tue 11th Oct 2011 8:35pm  

Sorry, yes it is Brays Lane.
Photo poser 6
diggerdave
birmingham
All posts by this member
8 of 9  Fri 6th Jan 2012 10:10pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:9

A few months late but that's the "Coventry Oak" traditional meeting place for royal visitors, where the baillies, aldermen and freeman would ride out to it in order to accompany the visitors into the city, royalty not being allowed to enter the city walls. To enter without this would infringe the freedoms of the city. Being city bred and not used to much equestrianism, it was about the limit of their riding ability.
Photo poser 6
Adrian
UK
All posts by this member
9 of 9  Sun 8th Jan 2012 6:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:191

Thanks Diggerdave, I have often heard of the Coventry Oak, and wondered what and where it was. I have searched the Internet for information about it, and yours is the only information I have found. A great pity more is not known about this. Cheers Adrian
Photo poser 6

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Lockhurst Lane (42)
|

Next (newer) topic

Driving school, Whitley
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 242ms)