No actionNo action
190 posts:
Order:    

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
181 of 190  Sat 29th Apr 2017 11:29am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:488

I know this subject is about fish and chip shops, but I must put in a word for the one at the roundabout in Coundon next to the Bablake playing fields. The chap did sell fish and chips and good they were too (not quite up to the Scottish concept of "fish suppers" that I had come to love - it wasn`t just the taste; but the extra bit of Haddock - without skin you got). What drew our family there was the "Fresh Fish Daily from Grimsby" which he sold - it was indeed always excellent.
Industry, Business and Work - Fish and Chip shops
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
182 of 190  Sat 29th Apr 2017 5:28pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2920

Roger, the chippy I remember in Coundon sold scratchings too but depending on the time of day, they were for free.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
183 of 190  Thu 4th May 2017 11:38am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

One of the best - Coopers, Gulson Road Thumbs up
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
184 of 190  Thu 4th May 2017 1:06pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2920

It looks delish. I wonder if they supply a wedge of lemon too. Wave
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
185 of 190  Thu 4th May 2017 1:08pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

We often used it in the early 1960s - it was always very good then Thumbs up
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
186 of 190  Fri 5th May 2017 7:33am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:392

On 29th Apr 2017 11:29am, Roger Turner said: I know this subject is about fish and chip shops, but I must put in a word for the one at the roundabout in Coundon next to the Bablake playing fields. The chap did sell fish and chips and good they were too (not quite up to the Scottish concept of "fish suppers" that I had come to love - it wasn`t just the taste; but the extra bit of Haddock - without skin you got). What drew our family there was the "Fresh Fish Daily from Grimsby" which he sold - it was indeed always excellent.
I was told by one local that the place was known as Smokey Joe's. Another told me that the chips had "an acquired taste". I think he meant that they were well cooked, i.e. they had a dark brown colour, as opposed to the yellow associated with most other chippies.
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
187 of 190  Fri 5th May 2017 10:11am  
Off-topic / chat  

zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
188 of 190  Fri 5th May 2017 11:45am  
Off-topic / chat  

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
189 of 190  Fri 5th May 2017 7:23pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
190 of 190  Sat 6th May 2017 7:03pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:488

On 5th May 2017 7:33am, Slim said:
On 29th Apr 2017 11:29am, Roger Turner said: I know this subject is about fish and chip shops, but I must put in a word for the one at the roundabout in Coundon next to the Bablake playing fields. The chap did sell fish and chips and good they were too (not quite up to the Scottish concept of "fish suppers" that I had come to love - it wasn`t just the taste; but the extra bit of Haddock - without skin you got). What drew our family there was the "Fresh Fish Daily from Grimsby" which he sold - it was indeed always excellent.
I was told by one local that the place was known as Smokey Joe's. Another told me that the chips had "an acquired taste". I think he meant that they were well cooked, i.e. they had a dark brown colour, as opposed to the yellow associated with most other chippies.
Goodness, Slim, it all comes flooding back - dark brown chip. It wasn`t just the fresh fish we got at that shop, but obviously the chips were to our peculiar standards. To put it bluntly I have a horror of droopy, soggy, greasy, yellow chips, only those which stand up for themselves will do - that`s alongside the skinned fish (I married a Scots girl and perhaps this is a Scottishism) I must point out that living in my parents' household and evacuated to an isolated farm house in the country, we didn`t frequent fish and chip shops, in fact I probably never met one until we returned to Coventry in 1947 and took up residence in Jubilee Crescent. Even then I cannot remember ever having eaten "bought" chips until I met my wife and she introduced me to my first and not I hope to be my last, that goes for haggis suppers also. We did have chips during the war, we had loads of spuds and plenty of lard when the nearby farmer killed a pig, and my mother chopped the spuds up into not much smaller than modern "wedges" and fried them in a frying pan (this on an open smokey range - must have been where I developed the taste). I don`t remember any fish eaten in the family until we got stuff from the Coventry wholesale fish market after the war, but we did get great chunks of bacon cooked in a "Dutch Oven" which sat on a ledge in front of the open range, cooking while the chips were being fried. Cheers Have a laugh. My first trip to sea, sailed from Liverpool - so imagine this in pure Scouse, Lady passenger (looking down the menu at first dinner out): "What`s French Fried Potatoes?" Husband (in hoarse whisper): "Chips!" Wife (completely unabashed): "Well, why don`t they call them chips then?" Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 181 to 190 of 190 posts

Page 13 of 13

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 13
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Triumph motorcycles
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry dairies
You are viewing topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 84ms)