Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3378

Yum yum, Prof. Must have been giving them away free that day. Thumbs up
Fish and Chip shops
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
212 of 225  Sun 1st Dec 2019 6:13am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:295

I rarely disagree with you, Dreamtime, but I must point out that Fishy Moores never needed to give anything away! Their "fish’n’six-pennorth" was worth queuing up - and paying for! Thumbs up
True Blue Coventry Kid

Fish and Chip shops
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
213 of 225  Sun 1st Dec 2019 9:44am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3196

They liked the word 'new'. In Well Street the buildings were New Rents, 1830/40s.
Fish and Chip shops
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
214 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 3:01am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:920

I used to love being taken to Fishy Moores when I was a lad. Their fish and chips were wonderful, and it was there where I got a lifetime taste for proper mushy peas. It was always the restaurant rather than the takeaway too. That is what people were queueing for in the photo, as queues were often like that at busy times. It appears to have been a more temporary building, I recall that there was an overspill area of tables at the back which was opened when it was busy. They had very pleasant uniformed waitresses who would deliver your food to the table very quickly. They always seemed busy and turnover was quite quick. One memory I do have is the constant scraping of the wooden chairs on the tiled floor as people came and went. When I was at KHVIII it was possible to get there and back in the lunch break and I was allowed to go once a week with my school pal. Certainly better than school dinners! Smile
Fish and Chip shops
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
215 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 8:57am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1179

Yes D-Di. I was at Tech, later Woodlands, and used to cycle to Pattisons café in Hertford St in the lunch break.
Fish and Chip shops
Dr Phil 1949 to 1956
Ware Herts & Puerto Mogan Gran Canaria
All posts by this member
216 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 10:39am  
Member: Joined Oct 2019  Total posts:65

Fishy Moores - was that in Spon End near the Plaza cinema? I remember one there in a very old timber framed building but I don't think it was there. When at Leeds U we all patronised Harry Ramsdens in Guisley when we really needed a blow out (also Bryants close to Alan Bennett's father’s butchers shop, and Sweaty Betties close to the University). I did enjoy my fish and chips in those days! Cheers Dr Phil
Fish and Chip shops
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
217 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 11:27am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:262

When I attended Cov Tech we used a place in Spon End called (IIRC) Goofy's. Faggot and pea batches with a generous portion of chips. Then we'd retire to a hostelry (usually The Shakespeare) to wash it down.
Fish and Chip shops
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
218 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 2:20pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:446

Hi Dr. Phil, you said "Fishy Moores - was that in Spon End near the Plaza cinema? I remember one there in a very old timber framed building but I don't think it was there." I know the one you refer to, but forget the name. 'Fishy Moore's' was never in Spon End, always, (as I remember), in the vicinity of Fairfax Street, the old Shop and new.
Fish and Chip shops
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
219 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 3:59pm  

On 2nd Dec 2019 10:39am, Dr Phil 1949 to 1956 said: Fishy Moores - was that in Spon End near the Plaza cinema? I remember one there in a very old timber framed building but I don't think it was there.
No, Fishy Moores was in New Buildings, which was behind where Sainsbury's is now. That's where the photo was taken. It was close to the Alhambra pub. When I posted, it was in a thread called 'New Buildings', which was the point, but some inappropriate tinkering seems to have taken place to cause the confusion. Roll eyes Once the New Buildings premises was demolished the business moved to Fairfax Street, but somehow it was never quite the same.
Fish and Chip shops
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
220 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 6:02pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1482

MisterD-Di said: When I posted, it was in a thread called 'New Buildings', which was the point, but some inappropriate tinkering seems to have taken place to cause the confusion. Perhaps - but as the predominant subject is Fishy Moores, in various locations, it seems appropriate for the conversation to continue in this Fish & Chips shops thread, where more folk are likely to see and respond to it. I, for instance, only remember Fishy Moores from Fairfax Street, near to Payne's music shop, and not in New Buildings.
Fish and Chip shops
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
221 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 6:45pm  

Rob: The picture WAS New Buildings, which is where most of us will remember it, not - as you call it - 'various locations'. If you only remember it in its subsequent location in Fairfax Street then you are considerably younger than me. I suspect most of us remember its original location very well, along with those legendary queues outside. I did make the point that moving to Fairfax Street was the start of its decline. It was controversial at the time as the New Buildings restaurant was a much-loved location, its replacement was certainly not. I believe the Moore family sold up eventually.
Fish and Chip shops
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
222 of 225  Mon 2nd Dec 2019 7:30pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3196

About 1850ish, the Moores, father and two sons, sold fish. The sons were known as 'Jammie Moore’ and 'Dancing Tommy'. It is said the father always called 'stinking fish' when on his rounds, and could not be persuaded to alter his cry. Fish selling in those days included pickled salmon.
Fish and Chip shops
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
223 of 225  Tue 3rd Dec 2019 8:18am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5467

There is a thread relating to the Moore family on the forum here Thumbs up
Fish and Chip shops
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
224 of 225  Tue 3rd Dec 2019 12:46pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:446

I remember both locations, couldn't remember the name of the original so I put it collectively as around Fairfax St. Thumbs up
Fish and Chip shops
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
225 of 225  Fri 6th Dec 2019 2:02pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2406

(c) Tony Lay on FB - Fishy Moores. Rose Moore with long queues at the New Buildings premises that closed in 1969.
Fish and Chip shops

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 211 to 225 of 225 posts

Page 15 of 15

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14 15
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Christ the King Church
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Weather & Blether