Next pageLast page
190 posts:
Order:    

MLMcDonald
Toronto Canada
All posts by this member
1 of 190  Tue 17th Aug 2010 4:19pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1

From Canada: my mother's family had a fish / fish & chips shop in Coventry run by my great uncle Jack (John) Brown. During the 50s and 60s when things were still a bit hard in Coventry and people were on half-time, the shop kept going and kept a few people employed. It was a longstanding business and continued for at least two generations, with one daughter owning her own shop. I wonder if any photos exist of the shop(s)or perhaps someone remembers its name? Am trying to locate family. Many thanks.
Fish and Chip shops
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 190  Tue 17th Aug 2010 10:38pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3086

Brown's Fish Saloon was at 142 Spon Street. There's a picture and related story of the shop in John Ashby's book "Spon Street and Spon End" (A family history viewpoint). I don't know of any picture online. That part of Spon Street was intentionally run down by the council once the ring road and council estate had been built and many famous businesses which once thrived there no longer exist. The timber-frame of the shop itself was dismantled and re-erected at 16 Spon Street as part of the 1980s Townscape Scheme but is now largely unrecognisable from the outside. The fish saloon was a two-storey building with windows on the upper floor where the diners ate. The present building is a single storey affair.
Fish and Chip shops
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 190  Wed 18th Aug 2010 8:45pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:880

As always dutchman - sterling work! Mary, if you'd like to see a fairly recent picture of what remains of that shop, I have a photo of number 16 on my Spon Street gallery, about half way down that page, including a photo of the explanatory plaque.... http://www.historiccoventry.co.uk/tour/content.php?pg=spon-st-left Of course, I'd never have known that without dutchman's fine research. Cheers, Rob
Fish and Chip shops
downunder
Queensland. Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 190  Mon 1st Nov 2010 11:12pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:21

Hi Mary, I have only just realised that your uncle John also had a shop along the Foleshill Road, it was a house, converted room into a shop,and from there it was faggot & pea batches, pies, it was next door to a pub, and across from the Wheatsheaf. I know because I worked there also. Marg.
Fish and Chip shops
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
5 of 190  Tue 9th Aug 2011 7:22pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4195

Just been to mine (has been favourite for many many years) Hipswell Highway! Thumbs up
Fish and Chip shops
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 190  Tue 9th Aug 2011 8:04pm  

Ooh.... that's made me feel like a chip butty! (And before you beat me to it.... I already look like one!!!) The Barras chippy used to have a reputation as one of the best in the city, but our current favourite is the one at the Empress Buildings, Binley Road.
Fish and Chip shops
Genghis Smith
Ireland
All posts by this member
7 of 190  Tue 9th Aug 2011 8:24pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:70

From the late 70s, the BAR-B-Q on Ansty Rd near the Annexe, also remember one on or near Queen Victoria Rd, kind of near where the Town Crier is. Any ideas?
Fish and Chip shops
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
8 of 190  Tue 9th Aug 2011 10:40pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3086

On 9th Aug 2011 8:04pm, Rob Orland said: The Barras chippy used to have a reputation as one of the best in the city,
You can't mean the one in Barras Lane Rob? I think that closed in the 1960s.
On 9th Aug 2011 8:24pm, Genghis Smith said: also remember one on or near Queen Victoria Rd, kind of near where the Town Crier is. Any ideas?
103-105 Queen Victoria Road. Last owner was a Mr Socratis Chambris. Can't find any business name. Don't have a favourite chippy myself at the moment. For a time it was Zuleika's Plaice in Minster Road but that's since changed hands several times. Have been using the chip shop in Broomfield Road (currently known as Gill's) on and off since I first arrived in the UK more than fifty years ago!
Fish and Chip shops
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 190  Wed 10th Aug 2011 7:29am  

On 9th Aug 2011 10:40pm, dutchman said: You can't mean the one in Barras Lane Rob? I think that closed in the 1960s.
No, it's the one that I think is still at Barras Green, Stoke.... where Mercer Avenue meets the top of Clay Lane/Stoke Row. It used to be nice to have a 5p bag of chips on the way back from playing at the park if ever I strayed that far!
Fish and Chip shops
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 190  Wed 10th Aug 2011 9:24am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1557

For me, it has to be the "Three Spires Fish Bar", just inside Queen Isabels Ave, on Quinton Parade - Cheylesmore. I must admit to not visiting just recently - but I well remember going there as a child for "three pen'orth of chips and some scratchings" - and what a feast it was! Its been there since at least the mid 50's. In more recent times it has had an "eat-in" section added next door and to my knowledge has remained in the same family all that time. We used to sit in the car in The Cheylesmore pub car park (sadly burned down a few years ago), whilst my dad popped inside for "a swift half", although I don't remember it being that swift - he was in there for what seemed like hours! Me and my Sister were sometimes treated (by my Mum who stayed in the car with us) to a bag of chips from over the road. I recall being sent over to the chippy across Daventry Road ON MY OWN(!) - not something you would allow a 7 year old to do now!! Oh my Kept us quiet I suppose! Smile
Fish and Chip shops
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 190  Sat 13th Aug 2011 5:57am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1508

Surely The Parsons Nose in Bishops Street.
Fish and Chip shops
sjrw
Surrey
All posts by this member
12 of 190  Sat 13th Aug 2011 8:32am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:7

Would have to agree with "Neilsyard" - used to stop off at good old Louis on the way home after a night out on many an occasion! Normally finished the chips by the time we had crossed the bouncy bridge over the ring road and got to the canal basin!
Fish and Chip shops
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 190  Sat 13th Aug 2011 9:45am  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:263

Going back a good few years, when in the city centre my favourite place for chips was Fishy Moores... delicious! Recently I have found that the chippy in Elm Tree Avenue, Tile Hill, do nice fish and chips. About five years ago on a visit to the Black Country Museum myself and my sister-in-law had chips from the shop there, they smelt just like the ones I used to get from King William Street, 40-50 years ago and they were bright yellow, made your mouth water! As a child one of my friend's mum used to make us chips (made in dripping of course) and wrap them in newspaper for us, we thought that was great. Wink
Fish and Chip shops
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 190  Sat 13th Aug 2011 2:51pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3837

I had always loved Fishy Moores, until during their last months of trading, where my wife & I were so disappointed with a dinner there. It was no wonder that they closed. Back to happier times, when I had often queued for their fish & chips in the fifties and also at the restaurant in Fairfax St. We have a local fish & chippy in Holbrooks called 'Venus' which we enjoy, and has been called Venus for as long as we have lived in Holbrooks, some forty plus years. If Rob Wink is not looking, I have never lost the enjoyment of eating fish & chips outdoors, which is not so easily done in our city centre, please advise if I am missing somewhere, though, but if Rob Wink is still not looking, a trip on the bus to the villages of Wolston, Brinklow or Meriden can be very rewarding with a bag of fish & chips being consumed whilst sat in the open. You can look now Rob, excusing my digression outside our city boundary. Wink ps. Do I feel a fish & chip supper coming on? The radiator grill on my car has a big smile on it. Big grin Oh my
Fish and Chip shops
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 190  Sat 13th Aug 2011 6:54pm  

On 13th Aug 2011 2:51pm, PhilipInCoventry said: .... a trip on the bus to the villages of Wolston, Brinklow or Meriden can be very rewarding with a bag of fish & chips being consumed whilst sat in the open. You can look now Rob, excusing my digression outside our city boundary. Wink
You do make me smile Philip - in a good way, of course! Wink Although it's still essentially a "Coventry" forum, I don't intend to become a "forum policeman" any time soon, and as far as I'm concerned, anything goes.... well nearly! Big grin Anyway, Brinklow, Wolston, etc. are all part of any Coventrian's surroundings, and I've always enjoyed getting away to these lovely villages on the east side of our city (I used to be able to cycle to Brinklow in under 15 minutes when I had younger legs!).
On 13th Aug 2011 2:51pm, PhilipInCoventry said: The radiator grill on my car has a big smile on it. Big grin Oh my
It obviously isn't a Ford Anglia then, which always looks like it has a very sad mouth. Sad
Fish and Chip shops

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 190 posts

Page 1 of 13

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 13
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Bevin Boys
|

Next (newer) topic

Car Dealers, Garages, Petrol Stations
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 56ms)