No actionNo action
84 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
76 of 84  Thu 29th Jun 2017 5:58pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

There was an old factory on the corner of Lythalls Lane and Bedlam Lane, Rubber and Ebonite I think it was called. It made a spongy substance, rolled it out into big sheets like lino, then cut it in pieces then moulded it into objects like bottle tops, put the articles in a huge heated drum, inside the drum were long trays that revolved inside the drum, while the articles baked. I only worked there for about three months when I was fourteen. I remember little about it.
Old Coventry firms
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
77 of 84  Thu 29th Jun 2017 6:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

Directory of Coventry Manufacturers is an interest read if you're looking for "old Coventry firms" Thumbs up It includes a listing for: COVENTRY EBONITE & RUBBER CO., LTD. (THE), Bedlam Lane, Longford, Coventry. Products Manufactured: Ebonite, also Ebonite and Synthetic Resin Mouldings.
Old Coventry firms
Derrickarthur
Coventry
All posts by this member
78 of 84  Thu 29th Jun 2017 9:36pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:134

Cannot remember the Ebonite & Rubber Co but I wasn't born till 1951 in Arbury Avenue. My elder brother Allen was born in 1942 and vaguely remembers the factory behind the two bungalows at the top of Bedlam Lane and behind the chip shop and Roger's Pet Supplies and Mr Green the Hairdresser. It must have backed on the the gardens of the Olde Hall Pub (now demolished).
Old Coventry firms
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
79 of 84  Thu 29th Jun 2017 10:07pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4549

Liquidators appointed in 1956, according to The London Gazette
Old Coventry firms
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
80 of 84  Fri 30th Jun 2017 5:26pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1811

Derrickarthur. Yes it had a cinder road, led off Bedlam Lane, it was right behind the pub, not quite the size of a football pitch. Had a few incendiary bombs hit it. Aug/Sept 1941 when I was there, cycled down Arbury then down Windmill Lane to A/G Rd.
Old Coventry firms
arthur p
burbage leic
All posts by this member
81 of 84  Fri 30th Jun 2017 7:46pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:48

I was born in Bedlam Lane in 1934 next to William Adams the coal merchant, stayed there till 1960, went to Windmill Road school.
Old Coventry firms
johnwright
combe martim
All posts by this member
82 of 84  Sat 1st Jul 2017 10:13am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:124

Hi Derrickarthur. You mention the two cottages in Bedlam Lane, and the chip shop on the corner of Bedlam Lane and Lythalls Lane. I have looked on Google maps and the area has completely changed now. When I was a kid in the 1950s/60s I went to school in Windmill Road, one of my old classmates was a lad called Peter Bird who lived in the first of the two cottages (now demolished). Also in our class was the daughter of the people who owned the chip shop, her name was Ann Scorer, I wonder where my old classmates are now. Also, next to the cottages was a warehouse, Brands Paper Merchants, I worked there once for a few months. I remember The Old Hall pub, had many a pint in there, such a pity that it was demolished, it was a lovely old building with much history.
Old Coventry firms
slash1
northampton
All posts by this member
83 of 84  Sat 8th Jul 2017 7:46am  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:138

On 29th Jun 2017 5:58pm, Kaga simpson said: There was an old factory on the corner of Lythalls Lane and Bedlam Lane, Rubber and Ebonite I think it was called. It made a spongy substance, rolled it out into big sheets like lino, then cut it in pieces then moulded it into objects like bottle tops, put the articles in a huge heated drum, inside the drum were long trays that revolved inside the drum, while the articles baked. I only worked there for about three months when I was fourteen. I remember little about it.
This large heated drum was probably an "Autoclave", still used to this day to make rubber rollers etc. from sheet rubber. Can be steam, most common, heated, electric, or occassionally gas fired. Similar systems used to make car windscreens, etc. In truth there is not a lot of things/stuff made without heat, although they are trying to move away from it where possible these days, due to energy costs etc.
Old Coventry firms
arthur p
burbage leic
All posts by this member
84 of 84  Sun 9th Jul 2017 5:44pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:48

In the late 1940s the chip shop was run by the Bonsor family, next door was a boot & shoe repairers, next was the hairdressers, next Catfords pet shop, next was Smiths sweet shop, next a garage.
Old Coventry firms

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 84 of 84 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Our Philip
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Carnivals / Godiva Processions
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 71ms)