No actionNo action
22 posts:
Order:    

Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
16 of 22  Tue 4th Oct 2016 3:46pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:371

On 23rd Sep 2016 8:53am, NeilsYard said: See my post No.7 Kev - yes they were for the 50th. I wonder if the nuclear sirens are still in place and if so - where are they? (not that I want to hear them!) Oh my
I've waited a while before responding to this, however I can elaborate in that the sirens are still in existence in all parts of the UK. I was involved with the Warwick County Council Emergency Planning Dept. throughout the 1980's (a dept. which exists in all Local Authorities). Sirens used to be, and presumably still are, silent-tested on a weekly basis. The main one in Coventry was at Little Park Street Police HQ and the responsible person inadvertently 'pressed the wrong button' twice in the 80's resulting in the previous 'Telegraph' report on one occasion. The same happened in Warwick once. In answer to NeilsYard. The sirens are situated on the roofs of public buildings and schools, (even single storey and Primary) in the suburbs. That's about all I'd better say! Already mentioned on the 'Ministry of Pensions' fire topic were the 'secret' contents of the locked top floor but that's another story!
Wartime and the Blitz - Air Raid Sirens
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
17 of 22  Tue 4th Oct 2016 5:14pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1264

There used to be one of the roof of the EMEB offices in Sandy Lane. It was still there when I worked there in 1963 to 1972 as I remember it was tested. This building was the offices to the Daimler during the war, in fact I believe it was the part of the factory left standing after the Daimler was bombed. The building is now Harp Place. I have tried to look on Google maps to see if it is still there!
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
18 of 22  Tue 4th Oct 2016 6:01pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:371

Hi Annewiggy, is it? Same with the old Armstrong Siddeley Works in Parkside, but they were disconnected in the 1970's.
Tony1
Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 22  Tue 4th Oct 2016 6:36pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:56

On 4th Oct 2016 5:14pm, Annewiggy said: There used to be one of the roof of the EMEB offices in Sandy Lane. It was still there when I worked there in 1963 to 1972 as I remember it was tested. This building was the offices to the Daimler during the war, in fact I believe it was the part of the factory left standing after the Daimler was bombed. The building is now Harp Place. I have tried to look on Google maps to see if it is still there!
Hello The Harp Place building today is used for Adult Education Courses running from Monday to Friday. The address is 2 Sandy Lane which I believe was the offices of EMEB.
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 22  Tue 4th Oct 2016 9:29pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:192

There used to be one on the top of the Severn Trent pumping station in Alderminster Rd, off Broad Lane. I seem to remember hearing it when I was at Woodlands School, 59-64.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
21 of 22  Sat 5th Nov 2016 10:41am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5021

On 4th Oct 2016 6:36pm, Tony1 said: The Harp Place building today is used for Adult Education Courses running from Monday to Friday. The address is 2 Sandy Lane which I believe was the offices of EMEB.
Photo from 2013 Thumbs up
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
22 of 22  Sat 5th Nov 2016 12:27pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1059

The Severn Trent pumping station in Alderminster Road

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts