No actionNo action
15 posts:
Order:    

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
1 of 15  Sat 22nd Feb 2014 3:15pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:857

I have just noticed that one of our members has moved house, so I thought this would make a new topic. I lived in Willenhall in the 60s and was pleased when I took a mortgage out on a 4 bedroomed house in Allesley Park, and there I stayed for 35 years, the stairs became a problem for my wife, so I decided to move to a bungalow in Bulkington. What a traumatic thing it is to move house, our moving day was Friday so I asked my buyer if Saturday would be ok, he said yes. He rang me 2 days before the move to say his agent wouldn't allow me to stay an extra night because of squatters' rights, anyway Friday came, 2 vans loaded and on their way to Bulkington, I stayed behind to hand the keys to my buyer, he was late because of traffic, so I was on my own in an empty house. It was so strange looking around empty rooms, I loved that house, my 4 kids were brought up there, I didn't want to move but we had to. Anyway when I arrived at the bungalow the movers were removing the side door because the sofa would not go through. I pointed out there was a large sliding patio door round the corner so that solved that problem. I did not consider that furniture from a 4 bed semi would not fit in a 2 bed bungalow so the garage was filled with stuff and I gradually disposed of half of it. After a few days I realised surveys are not worth the paper they are written on, what with the extension roof leaking, the boiler packing up etc. I had to have the extension roof completely rebuilt, if my seller had been a bit more honest with me things would a have been better. The last time I counted up I have spent £20,000 to get the place the way we want it so take it from me moving house is not recommended! Anyone else got a story to tell on this subject? Sad
Milly rules

Moving house
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 7:07am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3208

Hi, Norm, Oh my, have I. Moving from the UK to here in Perth was a dream compared to moving house here. We have built four homes now and had to rent in between the building stages. The problems arise when you have to follow certain laws about the building themselves. Must have this, must have that. Fortunately, the buyers we have dealt with have always been flexible as to the dates of moving. However, a few years ago one would not leave us alone with regard to the running of the reticulation, where were the sewers, we had septics, who will clean them, when was such and such a tree planted, where were the cables for the auto gates. The list goes on, in the end we had to politely tell the man a nice place to go!!!!!! There are always hiccups when moving. I am looking forward to hearing some more stories on this subject. A good one Norm. Thumbs up Wave
Moving house
JohnnieWalker
3 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 7:46am  
Off-topic / chat  

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
4 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 9:05am  

Hello. If you two had the choice to move to oz again, knowing what you now know about it would you still make the same decision to go there? I often thought about it but leaving my whole family behind I don't think I could do it. Cheers
Milly rules

Moving house
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 9:23am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4112

Hi NormK Wave I keep seeing your "born to fish" note. Sorry that I was not born to fish & I wasn't born to move anywhere either, but you might have a laugh at this photo of me in Mevagissey when I was about nine.
Moving house
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 9:44am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:644

You have not changed much Philip. Wink We have owned 12 houses and built 2 of them ourselves, the wife labouring and me learning all the trades. Also in between we have lived in 3 caravans and 5 rental properties while building. 5 extentions also built in spare time (there wasn't any really). Norm is right, the surveys are not worth the paper they are written on. I do my own, I think we are here to stay where we live now. But, I have started to have itchy feet and my other half says she would like to stay just for a little bit longer. I suppose 20 moves might be enough. Smile
Moving house
NormK
7 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 9:59am  
Off-topic / chat  

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
8 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 4:57pm  

Hi JW, At the moment, I will drink anything as long as it is cold. What a pantomime you had getting here. Ours was fairly straight forward. It's not having four normal seasons I can't get used to during the 40 years come September we have been here. Cheers (with a warm one) ! Cheers You look very proud of your catch Philip, what a cheeky face you had!!!! Thumbs up
Moving house
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 5:09pm  

On 23rd Feb 2014 9:05am, NormK said: Hello. If you two had the choice to move to oz again, knowing what you now know about it would you still make the same decision to go there? I often thought about it but leaving my whole family behind I don't think I could do it. Cheers
Hi Norm, That is a hard question for me, and to answer truthfully I am here now because my family are settled here. They have made a good life for themselves and we did not like the prospects for their future at that time (1974). I can only judge from what I consider my forum family say about Coventry and have always hoped we did the right thing. I would love to bump into Dr. Who and hitch a lift back in time just for a while, not sure if I could handle another move though. You have to do it or you would spend you life wondering. Thumbs up Big grin
Moving house
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
10 of 15  Sun 23rd Feb 2014 10:17pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:254

Hi Norm, Dreamtime This is a very easy one for me. In the lead up to our trip to Australia in 1973, we heard the same story time and time again from people who either had been offered demobilisation to Australia after the war, or had been offered a transfer to Australia by their employers - they ALWAYS followed up the story with a wistful "I often wonder what it would have been like!". We decided we weren't going to wonder - we would go and find out. We seriously did wonder if we would ever see our families again, but we always thought we would be able to return if we needed to. And, of course, after the minor frustrations of the journey itself, we couldn't possibly have had a better arrival to a new country. It comes down to something as simple as the weather. I remember getting up each morning in Coventry, looking out the window and wondering if it might just stop raining. By contrast, I look out the window each morning here in Canberra, to a beautiful sunny day, and wonder what exciting things can I do today? It makes it so much easier to be an optimist in this country. I still have a very soft spot for Coventry and the U.K. in general, but ...........
True Blue Coventry Kid

Moving house
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 15  Mon 24th Feb 2014 3:13am  

As a matter of interest JW, how far are you from Walleroo. My granddaughter lives there. Wave
Moving house
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
12 of 15  Mon 24th Feb 2014 5:41am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:254

Hi Dreamtime According to Google Earth, almost exactly 30ks on a heading of 140.34 degrees, assuming that's the one. Very horsey country only just outside the ACT border. We would drive past Wallaroo on our way to Yass, then to Melbourne. I bet they wouldn't have a nice flat parcel of land for a speedway track, would they??? Promise not to frighten the horses!! Happy Happy Edited by member, 24th Feb 2014 5:42 am
True Blue Coventry Kid

Moving house
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
13 of 15  Mon 24th Feb 2014 10:18am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:386

I've lived in the same house for the last 23 years and have decided to retire next year. My wife & I have bought a much smaller house on the Moray coast looking out to sea which will be a first for me. We have over the last year or so been furnishing part of it and having a new kitchen, bathroom etc. installed. As we are 'downsizing' quite considerably it is extremely hard to decide what we are taking with us and what is to be sold or scrapped. I am not looking forward to that at all.
Moving house
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
14 of 15  Mon 24th Feb 2014 10:27am  

I am really begining to feel sorry for you living in Oz, all that boring sunshine, JW's beer's too cold. In the UK it's rained so much I swear my feet are beginning to web, we have a government that would rob Robin Hood, I am not sure of the temperature of the beer, I cannot afford to drink it! Sad
Milly rules

Moving house
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 15  Mon 24th Feb 2014 1:53pm  

On 24th Feb 2014 5:41am, JohnnieWalker said: Hi Dreamtime According to Google Earth, almost exactly 30ks on a heading of 140.34 degrees, assuming that's the one. Very horsey country only just outside the ACT border. We would drive past Wallaroo on our way to Yass, then to Melbourne. I bet they wouldn't have a nice flat parcel of land for a speedway track, would they??? Promise not to frighten the horses!! Happy Happy Edited by member, 24th Feb 2014 5:42 am
Hi JW, that's not very far away then, but by the looks of it the ground looks undulating and rough. The granddaughter has a horse so she is well set up there. There are a few hundred acres I believe with a large property. Her mother's partner being in real estate. Actually it looks more suited for a scrambles track. Not a place I would move to. Here's mud in your eye Cheers Cheers
Moving house

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Ghostly goings on
|

Next (newer) topic

What lies beneath our city?
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category