Topic categories:

Tailors and Outfitters (bespoke and other)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 80 of 80 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action
80 posts:
Order:    

edwardpillar
evesham
All posts by this member
76 of 80  Thu 12th Apr 2018 12:15pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:2

I recently purchased a Sydney Hodkinson overcoat from a charity shop. It has the address inside of what I presume was Sydney Hodkinson's shop: 136, Queen Victoria Road, Coventry. I was intrigued, but have been unable to discover anything about Sydney Hodkinson or his shop. As far as I can tell his shop has long since disappeared - possibly in the city plan of 1951? The coat is a heavy black overcoat, tailored, fitted. In excellent condition. And I would love to know more about its provenance, and also about his shop. Thank you anyone who might be able to help.
Edward

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
77 of 80  Thu 12th Apr 2018 12:56pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1251

Hi Edward. Looking through the newspaper archives. Sidney was born in Allesley in 1887. He seemed to move around quite a lot. He left Queen Victoria Road in 1941 and moved to Suffolk House 10 The Butts. In 1953 he moved to 218 Foleshill Road and in 1956 to 100 Far Gosford Street. I can find no mention of him after that so he must have stayed there. He died in 1974. It must be a very good quality coat!
edwardpillar
evesham
All posts by this member
78 of 80  Thu 12th Apr 2018 10:50pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:2

Wow. Thank you so much for your response. That is really helpful. I'm very pleased to know a little more about Sidney Hodkinson. But - if the label is to be believed, and I suppose there's no reason not to believe it - somewhat surprised that the coat might be over 70 years old! You're right, it is a very good quality coat Thank you again.
Edward

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
79 of 80  Fri 13th Apr 2018 9:44am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4058

Hi edwardpillar Wave So pleased that you are enjoying our forum. It's good on here, hey. Best wishes.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
80 of 80  Fri 13th Apr 2018 8:26pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:148

Sad to report that Kenny Menswear (established 1952) on the Foleshill Road has closed. Looking through the shutters I think it is likely to become a jewellery shop. Last time I was in there 'Kenny' said he was struggling to find somebody to take over the business which he ran mostly singlehandedly and was getting too much for him. Peter.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 80 of 80 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Crumbs! Wedding cake goes off the rails
|

Next (newer) topic

Tank on display
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category