No actionNo action
75 posts:
Order:    

Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
61 of 75  Fri 21st Mar 2014 5:15pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:192

I believe Annewiggy's (new to me) photograph shows Trinity Lane, which backed on to Butcher Row, while Mattash's photo is of Broadgate. After 1937 Butcher Row didn't exist, right, once Trinity Street was built? I am far from comfortable stating the position of streets in pre-war Coventry and have no problem being corrected!
Mystery churches to identify
BugJemm
Peterborough
All posts by this member
62 of 75  Fri 21st Mar 2014 7:01pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:17

So while I've been busy working, you've all been busy on my puzzle! Although I've been slaving away, I have had chance to do a little bit more digging. The good news. I'm certain now (once again!) that the pictures I posted with the men in top hats are from Holy Trinity. The wedding that seems most feasible is that of my great-grandparents Frank Stanley and Charlotte Ellen Plumb in 1900, although there are again a lot of people gathered outside looking on and they weren't a particularly well-off or renowned family. The lady in the newly found photo from the wedding on the left below looks a lot like an older version of the lady on the right below, which I had already thought was Hannah Mabel (Mander) Plumb - Charlotte's mother. I could be wrong but... What a shame I don't have better photos of the faces of the bride and groom Roll eyes The interesting/good/bad/good news. I am now pretty certain that the two ladies I originally posted are sisters rather than brides to the same groom, as I found the photo on the left with them together. Note the construction material for the church behind, which is similar to that in the second of my original photos. I then did some digging in my tree to find dates for sisters who got married and identified four Hollowell girls who got married in the late 30s and early 40s... in Romford and Brentwood. I had a look online at some churches in Romford and spotted the arch on the left on a photo someone else has posted. Look familiar? I need to do some more digging as I've not yet found a picture from the church of Romford market square in the 40s, which might show me those distinctive buildings opposite. And I need to have a look at pictures of Brentwood to see if any of those match the features in the two original pictures. But it does seem that the stone building materials used in my pics are more akin to those in Essex than in Warwickshire. What is interesting is that the Hollowell girls in my tree seem to be completely unrelated to me, so I have no idea why I've added them to my tree, although a couple of them were born in Coventry. I sense a long weekend at my computer ahead of me. I will report back. Thank you to everyone who's been trying so hard to identify the churches for me. I suspect that I've given you a red herring. If so, I hope you'll forgive me and let me come back with another photo puzzle in the future. Huge thanks, Jemm :) Edited by member, 21st Mar 2014 7:27 pm
Researching (among others) Carter, Plumb, Stanley in Coventry, Franklin in Leamington, Baker in Wellesbourne. LINK

BugJemm
63 of 75  Fri 21st Mar 2014 7:09pm  
Off-topic / chat  

BugJemm
Peterborough
All posts by this member
64 of 75  Fri 21st Mar 2014 7:49pm  

Think I might have just solved the puzzle To the right of the photo, opposite side of the road
Researching (among others) Carter, Plumb, Stanley in Coventry, Franklin in Leamington, Baker in Wellesbourne. LINK

deanocity3
keresley
All posts by this member
65 of 75  Fri 21st Mar 2014 9:51pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2013  Total posts:358

The pub in the first photo is the Kings Head in Romford, in the background owned by Carrington Ales, just google to find a photo
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
66 of 75  Fri 21st Mar 2014 10:26pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1215

Excellent result Big grin
mickw
nuneaton
All posts by this member
67 of 75  Fri 21st Mar 2014 11:32pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:450

Hi Dean, well done I can stop looking at churches round here now, does this mean that the church in the first photo is St Edward the Confessor, Romford? I found a photo on google maps Thumbs up Cheers Edited by member, 21st Mar 2014 11:35 pm
BugJemm
Peterborough
All posts by this member
68 of 75  Sat 22nd Mar 2014 7:47am  

It does look like it was Edward the Confessor church, as I found two Hollowell weddings there in the British Newspaper archives and weddings of the other daughters in and around Romford and Essex. Apparently they were a well-known Romford family, living on Market Square, with great detail about the weddings in the paper, as someone suggested there would be. Discovered this late last night on my phone, so haven't yet worked out which sister this is and which church the other got married in, but we have certainly solved the puzzle. Also found out from Dad that they lived next door but one to great-grandad Arthur in Keresley and were involved in a car crash with great-grandmother Nell near Cambridge, which is why they're in the tree. I thank you all for your help. Also, huge thanks to annewiggy who messaged me with some details from the newspaper archive on my great-grandmother Franklin after six years of looking for her :)

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
69 of 75  Sat 22nd Mar 2014 12:07pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1314

On 21st Mar 2014 11:37am, Annewiggy said:
What a fantastic old photo Annewiggy - it's extremely rare, in fact I've never seen a view of those parts from that angle before. I'm rather envious of your wonderful collection! Most of us will know that Trinity Lane goes off to the right, in front of Holy Trinity Church, and through the gap to the left is (Great) Butcher Row - but the tiny bit in between where the car is parked was once known as Spicer Stoke, after the wares once available from there in medieval times.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
70 of 75  Sat 22nd Mar 2014 12:49pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1215

Rob, I must confess, this picture is from a book "Coventry Old and New by EB Newbold 1974 so I may have to remove it shortly. It is fascinating that the "New" pictures are 40 years old.
Rob Orland
71 of 75  Sat 22nd Mar 2014 2:15pm  
Off-topic / chat  

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
72 of 75  Sat 22nd Mar 2014 8:09pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1776

Agreed Rob - thats an absolute cracker Anne Thumbs up Can I ask where you got that from? So would I be right in thinking in todays view you would looking at the Bus Shelters outside the front of Holy Trinity overlooking Trinity Street? So atmospheric - you can almost imagine Ebenezer walking around the corner!
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
73 of 75  Sat 22nd Mar 2014 9:02pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1553

On 22nd Mar 2014 12:49pm, Annewiggy said: ... this picture is from a book "Coventry Old and New by EB Newbold 1974"...
No more clues Neil ! Thumbs up Thumbs up Big grin
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
74 of 75  Sat 22nd Mar 2014 10:36pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1776

Blush Blush Thanks Tony
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
75 of 75  Sun 23rd Mar 2014 2:42am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3049

Certainly a great old photo Anne, I would never ever have imagined seeing that stepping out of Holy Trinity. Thanks for sharing that one with us. Wave

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 75 of 75 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

5 RRF HQ Company TA Barracks
|

Next (newer) topic

Chocolate Factory