Next pageLast page
75 posts:
Order:    

BugJemm
Peterborough
All posts by this member
1 of 75  Tue 11th Mar 2014 6:33pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:17

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I live in Peterborough but many of my family were from Coventry and the surrounding areas, including Foleshill, Wellesbourne, Stratford and Rugby. I'm hoping someone may be able to help me confirm whether a church in an old family wedding photo is or was located in Coventry. I'm pretty sure the man in the photos is my great-grandfather's brother, so confirming the location of the church would help me narrow down the possible father and two brides (at least I'm hoping he's the father else he twice married two ladies much younger than himself!). In the picture on the left, I'm sure the arch behind them and the buildings behind that are distinctive enough that anyone who knows them will know exactly where they are. In picture on the left, there's not much of the church to be seen, but you never know. Thanks in advance for looking. Jemma
Researching (among others) Carter, Plumb, Stanley in Coventry, Franklin in Leamington, Baker in Wellesbourne. LINK

Mystery churches to identify
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
2 of 75  Tue 11th Mar 2014 7:23pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1135

The top picture looks a but like Chesford Grange and the wording seems to start with CH. It does not look exactly the same now as they had a fire there some time ago. The nearby Church of All Saints Leek Wootton seems to have a bit at the bottom of the wall like the second picture but I can't find one you can see more detail. Just a couple of ideas!! Edited by member, 12th Mar 2014 6:48 pm
deanocity3
keresley
All posts by this member
3 of 75  Tue 11th Mar 2014 7:23pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2013  Total posts:358

Looks like steps leading up the arch, if that helps find where it is, can't make out the letters on the building in the background
BugJemm
Peterborough
All posts by this member
4 of 75  Fri 14th Mar 2014 12:48pm  

Thanks so much to both of you for replying. I've had a look at Chesford Grange and it does look very similar, but the central apex in my photo seems to be lower than the left-hand apex, whereas they're a similar height in the current photos of Chesford Grange, and no church nearby. I do think it's a 'CH' at the beginning of the wording though, so something to work with.
Researching (among others) Carter, Plumb, Stanley in Coventry, Franklin in Leamington, Baker in Wellesbourne. LINK

Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
5 of 75  Fri 14th Mar 2014 1:36pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:190

I thought the CH might be the start of Charrington, the brewery. A pub is less romantic than Chesford Grange, I know! If you can tell us the names of the brides and the approximate dates of the marriages (and spouses' names perhaps), it might be possible to find the registration districts of the marriages on Ancestry. That could rule out some of the potential locations and narrow down the field.
BugJemm
Peterborough
All posts by this member
6 of 75  Fri 14th Mar 2014 2:11pm  

Hi Primrose, thanks for the reply Smile Pub or grange, I don't really mind if it means I can track them down! I've been a bit vague mainly because I don't want to narrow down the possibilities as I'm not 100% sure it is him, because the more I go back to the photos, the more I think they may be leaving a wedding rather than going into the wedding (particularly given the [surprising] number of people looking on in that first photo) and the more I wonder if the outfits in the background are a little too late for the 1920s. But, if it is my great-grandfather's older brother, Frederick Jelliffe Carter, and he does look remarkably like my great-grandfather, Arthur Carter, at the same age in the pic below, then the marriages would be of Caroline Mary Carter to Tom Reeve registered in Coventry in 1921 and Florence May Carter to Eric Marson registered in Coventry in September 1928. Thank you again - all help greatly appreciated as I hate having all these beautiful photos and not knowing to whom the faces belong :) Edited by member, 14th Mar 2014 2:11 pm

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 75  Fri 14th Mar 2014 3:42pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2985

Hi BugJemm, Lovely photos, just a little detail I have noticed. If the bride was going in her face would be covered and her veil is lifted after the ceremony and as you can see her face they must be coming out. As I say just a little detail for what it is worth as it may help with the background view. Wave
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
8 of 75  Fri 14th Mar 2014 5:27pm  

But if they were coming out wouldn't they be with the groom, unless that is the groom! I did notice that both brides have the same tiara. I agree dreamtime they are lovely photos but so frustrating for BugJemm with no names. A lesson to us all to put a little note on the back of our photos for the next generation. I wonder what will happen to all our digital images. The first picture also has a carpet they are about to step on which may suggest they are going in to somewhere.
deanocity3
keresley
All posts by this member
9 of 75  Fri 14th Mar 2014 9:25pm  

I think they are going in somewhere. If it was the bride with her father, surely the congregation would already be inside the church and not waiting outside for the bride to arrive, even so I think it is a church due to the archway, very odd. Also noticed the man doesn't have a ring on his wedding finger, Edited by member, 14th Mar 2014 9:27 pm
deanocity3
keresley
All posts by this member
10 of 75  Fri 14th Mar 2014 9:34pm  

Also had a thought that maybe the photo on the left, the bride may be someone famous, and the man may not be the father but just giving her away. So people have turned up to see her married. I'm still searching google
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 75  Sat 15th Mar 2014 12:26am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2985

Could they be sisters, wearing the family tiara. A very good tip Anne with regard to signing the backs of photos, but then it would put all our expert forum sleuths out of business. Big grin Wave Edited by member, 15th Mar 2014 12:28 am
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
12 of 75  Sat 15th Mar 2014 9:29am  

Yes, Dreamtime, they do look at a bit like sisters but I think BugJemm may be right in thinking that it is later than the 1920's. I have a picture of my gran's second wedding in the early 1940's and she is wearing shoes just like the lady on the left, two tone, probably black and white! That archway confuses me as it does not look like a natural old arch. I think it is in a town and in a street with buildings on the other side of the road. It must be quite a big church or building as where they are walking up the paving slab path is quite wide with steps down to the road perhaps. There is also street lighting, perhaps some of our technical experts could date that. I can't also work out the dome shape in the top left corner, is it a separate building? Enough ramblings for now ! Smile
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
13 of 75  Sat 15th Mar 2014 4:33pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:918

There's a similar "Turret" on this photograph of the "Chace" at Willenhall? The Chace, Willenhall
mickw
nuneaton
All posts by this member
14 of 75  Sat 15th Mar 2014 7:46pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:446

Hi all sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I`ve just looked at the wedding photo again with a stronger magnifying glass and the first three letters look like OMM or CMM I thought it looked like CH at first like everyone else but not so sure now Cheers Cheers
deanocity3
keresley
All posts by this member
15 of 75  Sat 15th Mar 2014 10:39pm  

I'm wondering if the sign is curved and reads _ omm_____ What do you think? Commodore Inn ? Edited by member, 15th Mar 2014 10:41 pm

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 75 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

5 RRF HQ Company TA Barracks
|

Next (newer) topic

Chocolate Factory
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 260ms)