No actionNo action
155 posts:
Order:    

francesb
tile hill south
All posts by this member
151 of 155  Mon 22nd May 2017 10:39am  
Member: Joined Feb 2015  Total posts:4

My uncle Bob James was a boxer & trained many lads at the Stoke Ex-Service Club francesb
sfbates

Working Men's, Sports and Social clubs
RLCherrington
London
All posts by this member
152 of 155  Mon 22nd May 2017 9:18pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:45

Many clubs held boxing lessons for the lads in the 50s into 60s, Canley did as well. There is a long tradition of that. Just another example of the sort of things clubs did and the way they contributed to communities. Taught the lads some discipline and to fight fairly.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
153 of 155  Thu 25th May 2017 8:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4380

On 1st May 2017 9:43am, Harrier said: Anyone any ideas what the 'Sports and Social Centre Twisted ' was in the Holyhead Road and whereabouts was it in the road? What was the organisation behind it? I have a date reference of 1945.
On another thread, the following comment has been posted: . . . . it's good manners to acknowledge when help is given, especially the many hours that our fine members have undertaken diligently carrying out free research for so many people . . . Oh my
Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
154 of 155  Sat 27th May 2017 4:07pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:143

With many apologies for any offence given. I am eternally grateful for the help I have been given from time to time and hope that some of my posts have given a little information of interest in return. No excuse, but in this instance I was waiting for my next trip into town to cross reference one of the comments so I could expand on my original enquiry. Dare I now ask for further comment related to the above. I have a reference to Sid Barriball who used to be in Godiva Harriers as one of the club's first marathon runners. My father in law knew him as a fellow local football referee and also a coach/manager with a local football club. He seemed to think he had two daughters and like him was interested in local boxing. Another reference thought that he was Belgian and came across to England with the evacuation of Dunkirk and settled here. He was a member of a Belgian athletics club.

Question

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
155 of 155  Sun 28th May 2017 8:46pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4380

Your comment is appreciated - thanks Thumbs up Sid Barriball gets a mention here

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 151 to 155 of 155 posts

Page 11 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Strange Coventry Tales
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry City FC (Sky Blues)
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 52ms)