No actionNo action
57 posts:
Order:    

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
46 of 57  Tue 1st Apr 2014 2:46pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:855

Hi pixrobin. Welcome to you, I am sure we would all like to see pics from your neck of the woods Thumbs up
Milly rules

Virtual Rambling (Our World) Where You Live
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
47 of 57  Tue 1st Apr 2014 5:41pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1052

First is the view of Accrington from the lower slopes of the Coppice. and now a view from the top. As you can see it is quite a climb. From the centre of Accrington to the top is around 400ft. Between the two is this footpath which traverses the west-facing slope between the two. From the top looking south is Spire Farm The above are older images (circa 2002) but not much has changed. The local council are in the process of upgrading most of the footpaths so now I can ride up on my mobility scooter. That's all for now. Gonna treat this as a test post to see how the pictures look online.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
48 of 57  Tue 1st Apr 2014 7:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4058

Hi & thank you pixrobin Wave Brill!
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
49 of 57  Wed 2nd Apr 2014 10:05am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:440

MY grandfather used to talk very fondly about Accrington 'Reds'. He told me that anything constructed using them would stand forever. Blackpool Tower and the Empire State building in NYC are doing fine and both have foundations made from the worlds toughest red brick.

He was a builder and carpenter in Coventry, by the way. He didn't have a brick fetish or anything like that. Other than bricks and Accrington Stanley FC, is Accrington famous for anything else, apart from you of course?

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
50 of 57  Wed 2nd Apr 2014 1:02pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:486

On a sombre note the Accrington Pals were one of the battalions raised during the First World War and suffered heavy losses. Over 80% of them were either killed or missing. Some say the town has never recovered. On a brighter note Accrington Stanley were mentioned in an advert for Heinz Baked Beans.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
51 of 57  Wed 2nd Apr 2014 4:39pm  

Hmmm! Accrington Reds - the bain of my life. They are so dense you can't get a wireless connection through them. I've finally resorted to connecting via the domestic ring main. I live on my own but have 3 desktop PCs running - a hangover from being a freelance computer journalist in the early 1990s. (You use one for writing, one for testing hardware, and the other for software.) I still carry on with three as I am teaching two young girls (8 and 11) how to get the most out of computers. They are the daughters of a long-standing female friend who comes round and does my housework for me. Ain't life wonderful Lol
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
52 of 57  Wed 2nd Apr 2014 7:23pm  

If God had wanted us to have wireless through bricks, there would just be London Bricks, soft and porous just like everything from t'south. :-)
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
53 of 57  Thu 3rd Apr 2014 12:14am  

The East Lancashire towns have never really recovered from the decline in the cotton industry and the closure of the pits. So local folks say 'Poor us' Wink
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
54 of 57  Thu 3rd Apr 2014 4:10am  

Same in Coventry. No pits, no cars, no bus chassis, no agricultural machinery, no watchmakers, coach painters, weavers, bicycle or motorcycle manufacturers - a shadow of its former self, struggling to find a new identity from the ashes of war, not just with Germany but unions too. The Japanese car makers were too scared to come to Coventry or Birmingham. Poor us, eh.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
55 of 57  Thu 3rd Apr 2014 1:40pm  

This is the view north east from the Coppice showing a snow-covered Pendle Hill in the background. A reminder to all that taking photographs is not just a summer thing. I bought my first camera from Woolworths when I was nine. It cost 1/9d. My basic trade and career has been photography but got interested in computing when I realised that all my various bosses thought I should be kept in the dark about many things. Lol
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
56 of 57  Sat 5th Apr 2014 3:36pm  

Incidentally, I am told there is no other Accrington anywhere in the world. One local suggested "God made it once and was so pleased he felt his work was done". I quipped "If he made it once he didn't want to repeat the disaster." Big grin
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
57 of 57  Thu 17th Apr 2014 9:04pm  

After my initial pictures Old Lincolnian mentioned the Accrington Pals. This year the local council has erected this banner: It covers the facade of some old council offices (erected in the 1960s and now abandoned). Picture taken today on my mobile.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 57 of 57 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Jobs Lane
|

Next (newer) topic

Rotherham's watch-makers