No actionNo action
116 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
106 of 116  Fri 11th Oct 2019 9:55am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5529

I have that postcard too - I won’t download a copy of mine! The nearest I could get to it back in 2010 was this:
London Road Cemetery
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
107 of 116  Fri 11th Oct 2019 9:57am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1511

What a huge difference in the width of the road from then to now!
London Road Cemetery
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
108 of 116  Fri 11th Oct 2019 10:02am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1834

Ah, I will have seen it Rob but as I've not really looked beyond Coventry's walls I didn't store this view in my memory. It's not come up while I've been searching the web for things for sale. Some images are rarer than others. There's a vibrant market for Coventry postcards at the moment - as in, I've been pipped at the post a few times Sad Good to see that The Historic Coventry image stores have all the great views Big grin Edited by member, 11th Oct 2019 10:04 am
London Road Cemetery
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
109 of 116  Fri 11th Oct 2019 10:46am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2508

Helen - Derek (Robthu) on here can do you a terrific LRC tour next time you are in town Big grin (Hope thats OK to mention Derek!) Edited by member, 11th Oct 2019 10:46 am
London Road Cemetery
Helen F
110 of 116  Fri 11th Oct 2019 2:44pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Robthu
Coventry
All posts by this member
111 of 116  Fri 11th Oct 2019 8:22pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:109

"There might be stone salvaged from the old city there..." Hi Helen, I think you'll find it's the other way round, as the cemetery was built within one of the old city quarry areas. Regards, Derek
London Road Cemetery
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
112 of 116  Sat 12th Oct 2019 9:12pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1834

Hi Derek. I noticed all the sturdy stone walls lining the road, though I was thinking more of decorative bits of stone within the cemetery. Just outside the cemetery gates to the north was Old Windmill Hill. More or less opposite the driveway that comes out onto Quarryfield Lane from the cemetery was a point marked as 'Winning Post'. I assume that it relates to horse racing in the park? There were several very old stone quarries round Coventry but I didn't know that the LRC had been one of them. In 1750 and 1850 the only quarry shown on the maps is further west off Mile Lane. The road to the west of the cemetery was called Green Lane before it was renamed Quarryfield Lane. By 1888 the land to the north of the cemetery is marked 'old quarries'. For the Civil War the citizens were tasked with filling in pits and quarries near the southern walls so that Charles I couldn't use them as dugouts. Such an activity could have buried a quarry near to the New Gate that could have been reopened between 1850 and 1888. I'd have thought that the cemetery would have been too far to worry about during the Civil War but may have become clogged with bushes, gorse and leaves so that it vanished off the maps. The picture is called The Distress at Coventry - weavers employed in levelling Whitley Common and burning the gorse. Dated 1861. In the background you can see a railway line. I'm thinking that this is the south end of the cemetery? It might have been the same type of landscape north of the rail line before the cemetary and even the railway were built. Map showing cemetery in 1889 It looks like the cemetery predated the rail line?
London Road Cemetery
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
113 of 116  Wed 20th Nov 2019 2:45pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2508

Derek - fyi, I got in touch with the Historic Coventry Trust who are supposed to be looking after LRC after securing the £2m of funding from the Heritage Lottery, chased up what was happening and I got this response - We are working with Coventry City Council on this, and it is the City Council who are undertaking the work funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. They have started working on this big project, but you'll see most of the physical works carried out and completed in 2020, ready for 2021 when we are UK City of Culture.
London Road Cemetery
Robthu
Coventry
All posts by this member
114 of 116  Fri 31st Jan 2020 8:48pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:109

Hi all, I note that just recently the London Road Cemetery has been spoken of more, and I thought that so I don't incur the wrath of the moderators I should use the correct topic! Please find here a link to my site, to the "Buildings Gallery" and within that, the Old Entrance and Mortuary that I have just returned to and renewed. Some of you might not even realise that this lrcemetery.co.uk site exists, so please feel free to go on and enjoy - it is for you! Derek.
London Road Cemetery
p fandango
Binley, Coventry
All posts by this member
115 of 116  Sat 1st Feb 2020 8:53am  
Member: Joined Jan 2019  Total posts:21

I've heard they are opening the old entrance up again as part of the Charterhouse project over the road. I suspect they're going to remove the wall/blast doors that formed the air raider shelter & take it back to the original arch.
London Road Cemetery
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
116 of 116  Sun 2nd Feb 2020 3:21pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:238

Been a lot of talk about London Road of late, everyone sees different things, even when visiting a graveyard that leave a lasting memory for them. This was a touching part as we walked round but doesn't seemed used today as much now as the children's section at the crematorium by Cannon Park.
London Road Cemetery

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 106 to 116 of 116 posts

Page 8 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hillfields
|

Next (newer) topic

Fleet Street