135 posts:
Order:    

mickw
nuneaton
All posts by this member
121 of 135  Sun 30th Aug 2015 6:36pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:441

On 4th Jan 2015 1:41pm, Two Stroke said:
On 18th Sep 2014 1:12pm, stevie g said: Think Ellis Greaves ended up in Siskin Drive before disappearing
Ellis Greaves ended up in Princethorpe, they were never in Siskin Drive
V J Pike transport were in Siskin Drive we used to do the maintenance on the buildings in the early 70s Johnny Reason (ex Speedway rider) was the transport manager at the time.
Public Transport and Travel - Local hauliers (coach, lorry, etc.)
Two Stroke
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
122 of 135  Mon 31st Aug 2015 8:04pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:7

VJ Pike I remember well, Mousley Trucking from Siskin drive I worked for, Anyone remember H&H from Kenilworth, became BRS after nationalisation my Dad drove for them. Brady's transport, Swiftways, Masterways car Delivery, Canley Car Delivery.

Question

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
123 of 135  Mon 31st Aug 2015 8:20pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:997

Does anyone remember a Wal Stevens - my Dad worked for him around the end of WWII. Did deliveries to prisoner of war camps.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
124 of 135  Mon 31st Aug 2015 8:53pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3022

On 31st Aug 2015 8:04pm, Two Stroke said: VJ Pike I remember well, Mousley Trucking from Siskin drive I worked for, Anyone remember H&H from Kenilworth, became BRS after nationalisation my Dad drove for them. Brady's transport, Swiftways, Masterways car Delivery, Canley Car Delivery.
You forgot Progressive Deliveries with their distinctive Sky Blue livery. Smile One of their lorries famously had no starter so the driver always had to park it on a hill. Another was a triple-decker used for the Glasgow run.
Arthur
West Yorks.
All posts by this member
125 of 135  Wed 2nd Sep 2015 12:43pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2015  Total posts:35

My wife worked for Tommy Venn, back in 1962/3. Tommy could always be found in the Barras Heath hotel where he liked his pint. Do you remember Pointers, they were hauliers/removal company from Cook St. they also took in theatricals from the Hippodrome. I know they eventually moved to Tile Hill lane.

Question

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
126 of 135  Wed 2nd Sep 2015 12:57pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Pointers! Yes, we had them for a house move in the 70s
dave owens
california usa
All posts by this member
127 of 135  Wed 2nd Sep 2015 8:23pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:34

On 31st Aug 2015 8:53pm, dutchman said:
On 31st Aug 2015 8:04pm, Two Stroke said: VJ Pike I remember well, Mousley Trucking from Siskin drive I worked for, Anyone remember H&H from Kenilworth, became BRS after nationalisation my Dad drove for them. Brady's transport, Swiftways, Masterways car Delivery, Canley Car Delivery.
You forgot Progressive Deliveries with their distinctive Sky Blue livery. Smile One of their lorries famously had no starter so the driver always had to park it on a hill. Another was a triple-decker used for the Glasgow run.
My stepdad Gerald Owens drove for all the above company's between mid 50s-80s plus all the coach company's previously mentioned. The triple decker was one of his routes at one time. He was also one of the first drivers to drive loads to Europe.
covkid
Gloucester
All posts by this member
128 of 135  Wed 2nd Sep 2015 9:59pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:13

Hi Dave, here's a photo of the TriDeck you mention
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
129 of 135  Wed 2nd Sep 2015 10:34pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3022

Thanks both Thumbs up I was beginning to think I might have imagined the triple-decker or that it belonged to a different company.
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
130 of 135  Thu 3rd Sep 2015 3:54pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:110

Looking at the picture of the TriDeck transporter, I was intrigued by the description of the tractor unit's engine as a three-cylinder two-stroke. On further investigation this turned out be a very unusual design having two pistons per horizontal cylinder, working in opposition, but turning a single crankshaft. The engine was a two-stroke diesel unit, designed to be low enough to fit under the driver's cab, thus allowing a very early "cab forward" configuration.
Potters Green Lad
Long Lawford Rugby
All posts by this member
131 of 135  Thu 3rd Sep 2015 5:48pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:37

The engine was a Commer TS3 (Two-stroke, three cylinder) model and was also used extensively by Carrington fuels in Exhall. The engine was fitted with a Rootes blower (Supercharger) which gave off a screeching noise when the rotors got worn and clashed together. The engine was a pig to work on because it sat low in the frame and much of the work had to be done by lying on the cab seats and reaching down through floor plates to carry out maintenance. A while ago Coventry Motor museum had one on display in a glass case, its a little bit of a shock when you see the things you worked on in your youth in a glass case in a museum.
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
132 of 135  Thu 3rd Sep 2015 9:37pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:110

I well-remember the Charringtons oil depot on Blackhorse Road, Exhall in the sixties which was near to where I lived. I also remember the steady stream of road tankers up and down the nearby main Coventry road. I have to admit I don't remember the specific tractor units, or the noise, but the mention of a screaming supercharger reminds me of the occasion a few years ago when I saw a 1930's supercharged Mercedes being driven hard up the hill at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. What a wailer that was! Incidentally I think that the Charringtons Fuel Oils depot stood on the site of an earlier WWII American military depot, which would probably have used and developed the existing rail link in bringing in men and materiel. I remember some of the buildings near the oil depot's entrance which I think were of 1940's vintage, and even today the old Methodist Church building close by looks to have been built at the same time and could perhaps have been part of the military depot.
Potters Green Lad
Long Lawford Rugby
All posts by this member
133 of 135  Fri 4th Sep 2015 11:29am  

I was originally born in Burton on Trent and as a kid seem to remember catching a train home to Burton from the station at Exhall from where it carried on to Bedworth then on to Burton, do you remember a station at Exhall or am I imagining that?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
134 of 135  Fri 4th Sep 2015 11:37am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Does this ring any bells? Smile
Potters Green Lad
Long Lawford Rugby
All posts by this member
135 of 135  Fri 4th Sep 2015 12:14pm  

In a way Midland Red, I'm only 61 so the Exhall station was closed before I was born but on your enclosed site it lists Hawkesbury Lane Station which closed in 1965 so I think I may have been confused earlier and this must be the station I went to Burton from, thanks for your help.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 121 to 135 of 135 posts

Page 9 of 9

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Clocks by bus stops
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry's first railway 1838
You are viewing topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 83ms)