Next pageLast page
69 posts:
Order:    

Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
1 of 69  Tue 8th Apr 2014 1:48pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:441

I am a Brit living in Canada, an alien, and I have the same rights as Miranda, poor woman that she must have been.. Sad

When I lived in the UK, I wanted to be anything other than English/British, and even Belgian would have done because they make brilliant chips and chocolate. It all started when I learned that British history as told was nothing like what actually happened.. for instance:

When the British landed in Australia, the Aboriginal greeting party was lined up and shot such that the others in the background would know that the British meant business. It is no wonder that the Abo's learnt to disappear into the undergrowth, seemingly without trace. Anyway, this was repeated just about everywhere around the world to the point where the Union Jack was the most feared flag of ALL time.

The British invented concentration camps (not the Germans) to contain Boer women and children who were used for sex and target practice during the war of the same name.

The British were heavily involved in the slave trade, but they made the point of not being directly responsible for the capture of Africans, preferring instead to recruit tribes on the West coast of Africa to do it for them in exchange for BEADS.

Bombing of British cities in WWII was done because we bombed German cities FIRST

Anyway, I decided that I would like to be European with just a hint of British, and set off for the sunny climes of South Eastern Spain, and it was all good even though I still called rat runs between buildings an entry and anything between two halves of a bread roll a batch.

As luck would have it, and my luck has never been good, I ended up in Canada and decided to be a good Canadian. But there was a problem. You see, a lot of Canadians, and Americans especially, know jack about the UK and make it up as they go along, and I find myself having to remind them that for many, the UK is the home country, and it is not as bad as they are portraying. So, instead of becoming a good Canadian, I now go out of my way to be British and proud of it, and if they continue to talk badly of Britain, I will call up the British consulate, have them arrested and sent off to some far flung corner of the Empire where they can't cause any trouble..

For me, the tables have turned big time, and I am an alien in a land of people who should be charged with treason. Do any of you guys and gals think the same as me?

One point I will make here. If any of you think that living in the USA and being American is as good as it can get, I can assure you that you are wrong, very, very wrong, and it is not until you get a picture of the USA at close quarters, as we do here, that you realise being British or European with a smattering of Britishness is a bloody good thing. Edited by member, 8th Apr 2014 1:55 pm

British and proud of it
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
2 of 69  Tue 8th Apr 2014 5:20pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:611

Hello Mike H, I love that. Not only fed up with people knocking Britian but it is worse when it is your own! We are known for moaning about our weather but just to let you know, I have just been jet-washing our drive in the sun, in the space of approx 4mins, as I sheltered under the eaves, it rained, hailed, a flurry of snow, turned to sleet, turned to rain then back to sun. I can honestly say, I would not like it any different. Having been to many parts of the world (still got a lot more to go) I can understand where you are coming from. America we love but only for the outdoor life, we have no wish to live there for many reasons. We have driven across and back, loved every minute of it, but. Our holidays are not sitting on a beach but educational, we like to know what a country is about. We always listen to the local news in our room at night. On one day, just a mile down the road from where we where staying the night, a Dutch women was ran over by a car and killed, this happened while we where out getting a take-away, only trouble was she was ran over three times by the same vechicle, forward, reverse, forward. I think in America you do that so they cannot make a claim against your insurance. That is only a taster, there is a wide divide there that we would not want to be part of. Keep all doors of your car locked, at all times, even at traffic lights do not get next to the kerb, even if it means getting into the turn left only lane, when you want to go straight on. That applies mainly to the big cities. Canada is on the cards but I would like to take the Day-light express, with stops of course, as we cannot sit still too long. Must admit, that last statement sounds barmy. Our life is, seen it, done it, Home and never go back. Smile Thought I would just add, we done 8,000 miles, and I will say, when they say Texas is big, its BIG. Even its roadworks, try 60 mls long at 40 limit with a police car at the end, hiding behind the, End sign? Edited by member, 8th Apr 2014 5:38 pm
British and proud of it
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
3 of 69  Wed 9th Apr 2014 1:40am  

Canada is very different re culture. They are an upbeat lot who just get on with life. Americans can't do that. They have to examine everything in ridiculous detail to see if their 'rights' are in danger of being eroded. They believe that real men carry guns to protect their families, that all of them are top shots, sniper quality, and that Canadians and Brits are cowards who would be speaking German were it not for the good ole USA who took over and saved the day. That is just the political front. I could go on but I won't.

Suffice to say that years ago, I wouldn't have minded being a USA citizen, but as it was, I picked the best side of the border and have had no desire whatsoever to cross it.

A good way to see Canada is to take the 'Canadian' train from Toronto to Vancouver. You may be able to get deals in the UK to do it, but it is a hell of a way to see 4,500 kms of Canada's finest..

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian

BTW, Ontario is wider than Texas, taller than Texas, and a lot more friendly.. Smile

British and proud of it
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
4 of 69  Wed 9th Apr 2014 7:44am  
Off-topic / chat  

Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
5 of 69  Wed 9th Apr 2014 9:00am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:355

My Wife & I have just booked my retirement holiday next year (May) flying from Glasgow to Vancouver, a cruise followed by a short trip across the US staying in San Francisco for a few days, Las Vegas, (and do a helicopter trip across the Grand Canyon) then New York to see the sights. From what I've read above I'm not sure I want to go now ! Only Joking ! I totally agree with the statement and comments within the previous posts, from the historical facts, to the Anti-British feeling in places. I am similar to Mike and couldn't wait to get out of Coventry, firstly joining the Navy and seeing as much of the world as I could and from 1979 living in Bedworth & Warwick prior to moving to Aberdeen 23 Years ago. However these days I am more and more interested in my place of birth. Living in Scotland I've experienced on the odd occasion anti-English rhetoric from people who don't want to be known as 'British' maybe that's my reason ! Edited by member, 9th Apr 2014 9:07 am
British and proud of it
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
6 of 69  Wed 9th Apr 2014 3:20pm  

From an early age, I was given the experience of travelling abroad, so I knew that there was more to life than Broadgate, Memorial Park, and the fair on Hearsall Common. I had travelled every highway and byway in Britain and as far north as Glasgow, Edinburgh and Kirkaldy (do they have petrol stations north of those three places?) and I wanted a new experience.

I hated the attitudes of many English towards the Scots, the Welsh, and the French (I have a bit of all three in me), Germans and everybody else too, some behaving like arrogant animals. When travelling abroad in later years, I would use schoolboy French and German such that people would not immediately notice that I too was from the British zoo. I was just totally ashamed of what I was, but I didn't want it to be that way.

So now I have a new mission in life to educate the uninformed, wrongly informed and the arrogant nitwits as to what the UK was and still is, the best place in the world, notwithstanding some of it's inhabitants.. Lol

British and proud of it
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
7 of 69  Wed 9th Apr 2014 3:28pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2234

I have too experienced this here also on the net on a garden forum to which I left because of it, as they could call us rip of Britain from a European and said we are horrible people by a Pakistani who also lives in England yet their comments where not take off. Also a local shop by me saying more or less the same who is a Siek but I cannot repeat their words on here. So as I was so angry as they have all bought their big wonderful homes, with lots of land here and have business it enspired me to write this when a radio station asked what is Britishness. I thought of the great things of the UK. Britishness that was Britishness was our sovereignty, Supping on our cups of tea, Royal britania, colonising countries too, Fighting for freedom to help others like you, Visitors come to see our Queen, Quaint little villages and country side green, British streets they said were paved in gold, Now all of that has been sold, Television and phone, internet comes from our brain, Union Jack united flies our fame, We can't fly our own Union Jack, But can send our forces to Iraq, Red phone boxes and post box, for us to communicate, Having a Government that did'nt dictate, A national health service., that the world does envy, Never knowing our bellies to be empty, A police force that never carried a gun, A patient society that never would shun, Big Ben, Parliment,, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, The British person hold s no malace, Football, rugby, cricket these are our games, These carry the british name, Brains of the world, thats what we are, We use to have our own chocolate and Jaguar!, Free speach standing on a box, Horse riders dressed in red chasing a fox, Free religeon for us to pray, Praying for what we've got to day, Leafy suburbs, streets with no litter, Down to the pub to have a pint of bitter, Aprentiships for us to learn a trade, Good quality goods that we had made, Our culture of nursery rhymes said in play and bed, Ba ba black sheeps is no longer said, As all of britishness is being taken away, We re no longer allowed our say, Yet this is what attracts the immigrants to our land, Then bit by bit it all gets banned, They don't like us this they say, Why do they bother coming to our UK, What is Britishness this they ask, Picking our brains again to do their task, Britishness has gone for good, Would you change it back if you could. Where did land of hope and glory go, Its become a masquarade and just a show. Edited by member, 9th Apr 2014 3:48 pm
British and proud of it
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
8 of 69  Wed 9th Apr 2014 6:51pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1004

In most ways I am more proud to have been brought up in Coventry than I am in being British. Can I call myself a Coventrian when I left at 18 and after 9 years in the army I returned for just a couple of years prior to a job in London. I've now lived in Accrington for more than 25 years - but I still regard Coventry as my 'home' town, even though my last visit to the city was 9 years ago. I've seen quite a bit of the world; Germany, Malta, Cyprus, Canada (well at least Cold Lake, Alberta), Australia (Woomera, Adelaide, and then coastal coach journey to Cairns over a 3 month stay). If I had been one to emigrate it would have been either Canada or Germany - but before leaving the army I'd acquired a Maltese wife. (How do you make a Maltese Cross? You marry them. Wink I've now been divorced for more than 30 years.) I used to know central Coventry reasonably well but on my visit in 2005 actually got lost trying to negotiate the journey from Cook Street Gate to the Canal Basin on foot. Having worked in a School of Architecture for almost 15 years I could even appreciate some of the modern buildings - though perhaps not their placement. I still liked the view of the city as you come over the brow of the hill on Warwick Road, though slicing Greyfriars Green in two was not appreciated - nor the lack of toilets at the city end of it. I did try to return to the city when I took voluntary redundancy in the last year of the 80s decade. But, I got caught out be the rapid rise in property prices and had to settle for one of the Lancashire cotton towns instead. That's life I suppose.
British and proud of it
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
9 of 69  Thu 10th Apr 2014 5:19am  

@Morgana.. Britishness was the set of qualities, tough, hardy and resourceful, necessary to create an Empire and its trade links. Unfortunately, the British establishment got greedy and as it were, bought off the native captains and got them to control the lower decks. It all worked reasonably well as long as Britain could afford to police all of it, but it came at huge cost, and growing hatred of British Colonialism. WWI left Britain almost penniless, unable to buy the Empire anymore, and the settlers were told that they would have to go it alone. That was maybe ok in the less populated colonies of Australia and Canada where the largest populations were of British extraction. The settlers in India, Pakistan and Africa were way outnumbered, and had no chance. We were first out of the gates with the Industrial Revolution, and boy did the Empire work well. All of those places where we could sell our stuff, a captive consumer base like no other. With the demise of the Empire, we found that we had to compete, not a concept that Brits were used to doing or liked at all. Our manufacturing base could only manage two classes of output, one for the well off, some of the best stuff in the world, and junk for the proles at home and abroad, and when the home grown proles discovered by travelling that everybody was doing better than us, the mantle of Britishness and greatness was seen for what it had become.. a portmanteau full of the Emporer's new clothes.. Britain still could be great if it could get over blaming others for its demise. Building trust would be a good start, first with it's own people and follow up with the immigrants, not easy but possible, not that I would hold out great hopes. The British have been making promises for centuries, and they have broken every single one of them and the descendants of the early British settlers are still doing it here in Canada with the Indian Nations, and still complaining that the Nations are not to be trusted. Lol
British and proud of it
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
10 of 69  Thu 10th Apr 2014 5:51pm  

Nothing much changes where greed is concerned same as what they have done recently Mike H I read not so long ago our recent governments seen so much money passing their eyes they got greedy and spent it all, putting us now in debt . Where else could they get moats cleaned thousands of pounds worth of a tv and a thousand pound per roll of wall paper to decorate their home pluss their 2nd homes from expences which the hard working tax payer has paid for. So if they do that on their own people , I know what they have done to others and what they have nt done. One of my ggrand dads helped write the labour policies so I might know more than you think, if he was here now to see this labour and recent past labour he would turn in his grave. My poem was more for the British people and our way of life which its the people who make our country and their achievement s not governments which you see when the people march on Whitehall.
British and proud of it
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
11 of 69  Thu 10th Apr 2014 11:36pm  

I must have misunderstood maybe. I thought that you were inferring that immigrants spoiled the show, but your reference seems to be to the Conservative Gov't. Power corrupts and it corrupts ALL who are given it. When Scargill called for unofficial strike, leaving the miners without ANYTHING, he had just had a new Jaguar delivered, had paid himself two years salary IN ADVANCE and had two years worth of coal delivered to his homes (he had more than one). Red Robbo called consistently for strike action at Longbridge and got it until Ron Hill asked about the right to work. Robinson's heavies had to magic him away very quickly, and the long term effects were? Honda in Swindon, Toyota in Derby, and Nissan in Sunderland. The three companies wanted NOTHING to do with the strike crazy workers of Birmingham and Coventry. The world and his dog start off with good intentions, but when they realise that they can feather their own nests, they ALL do it. Your poem is not reflective of life for the masses. There were no leafy suburbs in Padiham, Lancs and no quaint cottages in Rhostrafan, North Wales. There are some lovely places on the way up to Glasgow and Edinburgh, but you couldn't say that about Ibrox or East Kilbride. I knew a couple of people from East London whose early years saw them playing outside without shoes. The woodland behind Betws Y Coed is called Artists Wood. Crackley Woods is where perverts hang out hoping to catch girls on horseback who ride through and around the area. In Pixrobin's neck of the woods, all you could see at one time were chimneys belching out who knows what. None of it was good and there were hundreds of them.

I was looking for somewhere in Nottingham one time, and I stopped and asked in a Police Station. I have never seen such an ugly lot of people in a P.S before and wondered if I was on the right side of the bars. The glass at the counter was almost SIX INCHES thick, and the whole inside had a look of being armoured to stop the scum getting in unless by appointment or capture. Britain is an amazing place, the geography is second to none, the history never ending and the people are some of the most resilient and resourceful anywhere, but those two qualities can be found in those who do good and those whose prime objective is to spoil anything good. Britain does indeed have it all. I could go on but I won't. We should know better, but we don't. We carry the same prejudices forward, century after century, and the only time that we all work together is when a common enemy arrives at the door, and that is forgotten quickly enough after the event..

British and proud of it
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
12 of 69  Fri 11th Apr 2014 1:38am  

The Miners Union also rented a luxury flat in The Barbican in London for Scargill's use and it took them years to get him out of it. It was not something any working class miner could afford no matter how much the Daily Mail suggested they earned. Remember that compulsory education came about only because it served the factory owners purposes. It taught the children basic reading and writing, simple addition and subtraction, and how to tell the time so you weren't late for work. I was recently reading a book written at the beginning of 20C about agricultural labourers during first half of 19C and their fight to be paid 1/6d (7.5p) per day. I came across a note of how much pension the Duke of Wellington was awarded after Waterloo. (Now sit down before you read the next bit!) It was more than £60,000 a year at 1815 prices. I must assume that he was given land that brought in rents to that amount. In my career I NEVER earned half that amount and putting together my state pension and a works pension it is less than 20% of that. Mike, Padiham is going to lose a lovely lady soon - she's moving to France. For more than two years she has come round to help me out with cleaning the house and the odd bit of shopping - and, at her behest, we exchange texts EVERY day so she can be sure I am OK. I've known her more than 20 years. If only I was 25 years younger ...........! Oh my Edited by member, 11th Apr 2014 1:51 am
British and proud of it
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
13 of 69  Fri 11th Apr 2014 5:13pm  

I understand that tea pickers in India and Ceylon received 1d per month for their labours, and only the finest and richest of the land could afford could afford it by the time it reached our shores. Eventually of course, the proles managed to afford the lesser tea leaves that were swept up off the floor after a tea production run, but for many years, beer and gin were more affordable to the masses. You are right about factories doing the education bit. The workers would have had to be able to read the names on the side of the chimneys to ensure that they arrived at the correct workplace, and bad timekeeping would see a compete days pay taken back as punishment. In South Wales, they had 8 year old kids manning the air locks in the coal mines, and if the kids Davy Lamp blew out, as often they did in the area around the airlock, the kid would have to wait for the chargehand to relight it. In an environment where rats ruled, it must have been scary as all hell. In North Wales, if a slate miner fell to his death from the side of the quarry because he could no longer hold on (malnutrition was rife in North Wales), his family would be thrown out of the tiny dwelling provided before the sun set over the piles of slate waste. These people knew nothing of English country gardens and supping tea. They worked from 6 in the morning until 6 in the evening, and they cleaned up by standing under rain that constantly dripped from the slate waste. Pix, if you were 25 years younger, you'd be off to France too, eh. It's a good place to live. They got rid of their 'Oppressors' in 1789, and while French peasants may not have had too much after that date, they were not treated like dogs, and they still aren't. Having said that, there is a problem with 'highwaymen' in the mountains above Monaco, especially when the grape crop in that area fails or produces unsaleable wine. Smile
British and proud of it
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
14 of 69  Fri 11th Apr 2014 10:27pm  

They may have got rid of royalty in 1789 but what are they left with - politicians!!!
British and proud of it
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
15 of 69  Sat 12th Apr 2014 12:11am  

Mike H I must have misunderstood maybe. I thought that you were inferring that immigrants spoiled the show, but your reference seems to be to the Conservative Gov't. Power corrupts and it corrupts ALL who are given it. When Scargill called for unofficial strike, leaving the miners without ANYTHING, he had just had a new Jaguar delivered, had paid himself two years salary IN ADVANCE and had two years worth of coal delivered to his homes (he had more than one). My reference was not at the Conservative Govt. but all governments as to me they are all the same now and have been for a while nothing changes they just add more hardship. As of Scargill say no more, my dad also his dad were miners in Wales, regular visits to my Grancha (grand dads) home in Wales of Beven, Lloyd George , Chamberlain, also Kier Hardy whom my cousin is named after. As for starvation in Wales yes as both my parents are Welsh , I don't forget what my mother told me how the woman and children had pot bellies through starvation, also having to do the mens work in order they did nt get put up against the wall and shot because of them striking, how the woman and children had to scavange on the slag heaps to keep them selves warm. May I ask this question to you, who came to their aid, also who came to Cumbria when all their infrastructure went down , also who came to the south recently when we had the recent floods, which rich and poor are asking who live all over on a garden site I go on occationally, could you tell me which country helped us like we do theirs in disasters and who helped the British children in Dickens time and down in London the Gorbals and other parts when children were starving. Also who helped me when I was homeless after local authority made me homeless from a caravan, for having no toilet inside, or bathroom, with two very young chldren having to living in a car, then put into a house unfit for human in habitation, which was covered top to bottom in human faeces, no roof, no bath no toilet inside in the late half of the 70s. In fact the only country I know of so far which has helped was the Dutch with their pumps with the floods, recently and before. In past it has provern when we have gone into a country that country has improved according to the radio, soon as we hand it back it goes back to what it was, yes long past governments back then have taken and also been cruel but it was the Raja s who stole if you like the gold in India, and we had a trading company with them, prior to that it was the mongolian s who stole Indian s gold, yes we tried to treat them terrible but me its not good keep looking back and to go forward as we here now we are not to blame for what is past, it was the governments not the people back then not us now eitherSmile As for immigrants, yes there are too many here fact, I have no problem with them my self in sensible numbers I think you forget we are an island not a continent. It was immigrants Indians that gave us a room to let when we had no where to go. I have an old school friend which I admit I no longer see as lost touch who was from Africa also a Jamaican friend too. As for your Indian tea picker an Indian gentleman last year said to me no money should we be sending out to Indian ,as there are plenty of multy millonaires out there doing nothing to help their own poor out there which should be helping. As of my poem you seem to be picking apart, leafy suburbs are in each town in parts even if its certain streets, we are known for it in any other country, even Coventry has them . When attending an interview to work for Captia years ago at the social, the manager he lived in Nottingham , in a leafy suburb so he told me. Oh my see I knew more about him than he did me Big grin Edited by member, 12th Apr 2014 2:51 pm
British and proud of it

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 69 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Banbury Buildings
|

Next (newer) topic

Rudge - Whitworth
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 290ms)