Topic categories:

Railways around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1066 to 1076 of 1076 posts

Page 72 of 72

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .. 68 69 70 71 72
No actionNo action
1076 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1066 of 1076  Fri 6th Sep 2019 3:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4168

Hi all Wave With Pam so remarkably well, she despatched me this week with an East Midlands seven day rover. That is fab & I will post a few pics later, but the issue that I want to tell you about, is that except for the suicide disruption on Thursday morning, I have got about more easily than ever. Old habits don't stop even with the most up-to-date information. Coming back from Peterborough today, a three coach train, I sat in comfort with my coffee, in a half empty middle coach. As it was raining as we reached Nuneaton, I moved to the last coach so as to alight by the steps to platform 1. The last coach was like sardines, folks sitting on luggage. Is it the braindrain? No joke. At Peterborough, the digital display showed the train loading graph, which is why I chose the middle coach. We Might be the digital age, but that doesn't appear to help our minds. Even the ticket lady told them that the front coach was empty, but it made no difference. Over the years I have on occasions witnessed packed trains, from one end to the other, but in five days of roving this week, so far, not once have I struggled to find a seat of my liking.
Railways around Coventry
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1067 of 1076  Fri 6th Sep 2019 3:47pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4168

A few picture postcards from Phily. The overcrowded packed train from Peterborough. I thought that I was going to Surbiton, hey! Talk about luxury! A hotel at 100mph. All of this for a seven day go anywhere ticket, that cost me £76, where I could reach Doncaster, Sheffield, Peterborough, Skegness, Bedford, Bletchley, Tamworth & of course Coventry down to Milton Keynes. Having a lovely time, wish you were here.
Railways around Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1068 of 1076  Fri 6th Sep 2019 5:12pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5368

So do I 😔 🚂
Railways around Coventry
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1069 of 1076  Sat 7th Sep 2019 7:02pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3317

Philip, one of these days they will be sending out a search party for you! How does a monorail grab you? There he goes, everybody wave folks. Nice to see you enjoying yourself anyway. Wave
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1070 of 1076  Sat 7th Sep 2019 10:51pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:203

Sad to report that the spear top fencing at Coundon Road Crossing has gone and been replaced with a tubular construction. I hope the old fencing found a good home. It seems an odd time to do the work when the crossing is being considered for closure. Peter.
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1071 of 1076  Sun 8th Sep 2019 4:34pm  

Disused station buildings to be brought back to life (Rail Advent) "The pilot stations are: Bromsgrove; Cannock; Rugeley Town and Rugeley Trent Valley; Kenilworth; Nuneaton; Dudley Port and Coseley; Droitwich Spa; Kidderminster; Oakengates and Wellington; Smethwick Galton Bridge and Smethwick Rolfe Street; Selly Oak; Stratford-upon-Avon and Stratford-upon-Avon Parkway; Hall Green; Bournville; Marston Green and Tile Hill; Tame Bridge Parkway; Stechford." An odd choice of "Disused stations". Kenilworth is new and Kidderminster is still being build (old station just demolished). The main idea is to lease out part of the stations as coffee shops and convenience stores. Peter.
Railways around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
1072 of 1076  Mon 9th Sep 2019 9:12am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2194

Peter. I think the Coundon Road closure is just a campaign promise. I don't see it will happen with the current surrounding road network. It’s just too busy around there at rush hours. I go over there most days on the Bablake school run so will try to get a picture to share of the new barriers. I should imagine the old railings have gone to someone’s back garden Angry Edited by member, 9th Sep 2019 9:14 am
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1073 of 1076  Mon 9th Sep 2019 8:04pm  

NeilsYard, I've taken some pictures of the new fence (the workmen were blocking a photo last week). They have also replaced the fence on the other side. A concrete block has appeared underneath the arch. As the archway closure is only temporary I assume the concrete block will move when they have finished. Closing the level crossing is currently a legal requirement (it is an "additional complementary measure") for air quality improvment. The Council are currently trying to talk themselves out of it. Peter.
Railways around Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1074 of 1076  Wed 11th Sep 2019 10:45am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5368

“Deadline looming over plans for new railway stations in Nuneaton” - report
Railways around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
1075 of 1076  Wed 11th Sep 2019 11:09am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2194

Peter, doesn't that document refer to the state of the air quality within a certain area - not specific to the crossing itself? In any case, if deemed required and singled out, I would have thought they would be able to make a full underpass at Coundon couldn't they? I know it’s on a bus route but tbh, if air pollution was such a concern they should have enforced complete EV solutions in on public transport ages ago. Edited by member, 11th Sep 2019 11:11 am
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1076 of 1076  Wed 11th Sep 2019 7:55pm  

Hi NeilsYard, The full Local Air Quality Action Plan had two options: - The Councils preferred option (Travel planning + Low emission Taxis + Cycling infrastructure + Holyhead Road mitigation + Marketing and communication) - A Benchmark option (Clean Air Zone + Holyhead Road Mitigation) The Holyhead road mitigation measures are: o Peak time restrictions for Holyhead Road at J8; o Removal of the traffic signalled junction of Holyhead Road and Barras Lane; o Closure of the Coundon Road level crossing (to enable removal of junction control above); o Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) ban on Holyhead Road between the railway bridge and J8 of the ring road; o Capacity improvements on the B4106 through Spon End; o Upgrade of ring road J7 to further support additional traffic rerouting on the B4106; o Enhance the walking and cycling routes from Spon End into the city centre. Closing the level crossing is unpopular and the Council is now considering opening Hill Street (at the end of Coundon Road) up onto the Ring Road. This is proving equally unpopular with St Osburgs school. A bridge would need 5m clearance, the approach slope for a bridge would be ~50-70m long. The internet suggests a price of £5-10million. Most of the local bus fleet has been updated with low emission buses. Electric buses are only just becoming established (50 electric buses in London out of 8000). Peter.
Railways around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1066 to 1076 of 1076 posts

Page 72 of 72

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .. 68 69 70 71 72
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Eli's triangle, etc
|

Next (newer) topic

Gosford Street
View similar topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2019

Load time: 268ms