Topic categories:

Public Transport and Travel

Railways around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1111 to 1125 of 1125 posts

Page 75 of 75

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 71 72 73 74 75
No actionNo action
1125 posts:
Order:    

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
1111 of 1125  Thu 16th Jan 2020 3:12pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:934

Helen, I agree with your last point, and not just for London. Trying to get anywhere by road in this country is a nightmare of jams and road works which never end. Even local journeys are fraught with heavy traffic, coupled with crumbling roads, parking restrictions and extortionate prices. So much so that we took the decision to go from two cars to one. I sold mine and use public transport for free. Rail services, like buses, aren't great but there isn't much choice. It's an interesting point about reopening old railways too. Where I live there is an idea to reopen the long-defunct Walmley station, which is within walking distance for me. The line is currently for goods only. The idea has apparently been spawned by our inept MP, supported by the equally inept West Midlands mayor. They don't seem to have considered that the line doesn't actually go anywhere useful. Not to Birmingham, nor even to Sutton Coldfield. It meanders from Walsall to Water Orton and I have no doubt that any passenger trains would be empty. I am all for more investment into railways, but not into white elephants and vanity projects that contribute nothing.
Public Transport and Travel - Railways around Coventry
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
1112 of 1125  Thu 16th Jan 2020 3:34pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:293

MisterD-Di. The point that you raised about reopened services not being used reminds me that, as I said in a previous post, when we lived overlooking the line with the Kenilworth service running on it in the 1950's, it rarely had more than a handful of passengers. I would like to know how it is being used now that it has restarted.
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
1113 of 1125  Thu 16th Jan 2020 4:44pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:58

Hi Argon PeterB's post #1095 shows Kenilworth had a recorded 170,912 passengers for 2018-2019 (I made 2 of the journeys) - quite a bit more than a handful. Edited by member, 16th Jan 2020 4:58 pm
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
1114 of 1125  Thu 16th Jan 2020 5:26pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:293

Thanks 3Spires. It's good to know the reopening is a success.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
1115 of 1125  Thu 16th Jan 2020 7:52pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:934

On 16th Jan 2020 3:34pm, argon said: MisterD-Di. The point that you raised about reopened services not being used reminds me that, as I said in a previous post, when we lived overlooking the line with the Kenilworth service running on it in the 1950's, it rarely had more than a handful of passengers. I would like to know how it is being used now that it has restarted.
My point is that if there is a demand for a service then it should definitely be considered. I'm sure many would be well used, as the Kenilworth example shows. There are various routes around the West Midlands that are ok on their day. I used one for the first time yesterday, Moor Street to Olton. However, there is no point whatsoever in opening the goods line near me for passenger services as cannot see any demand whatsoever for Walsall - Walmley - Water Orton trains. There are currently no stations on the line and reconstructing one in Walmley would be farcical, there isn't even any access. As I said, though, our MP and mayor are just playing to the gallery. Our MP has been here for 18 years and his achievements are to get the town called "Royal" Sutton Coldfield (as if anyone cares) and, er…. that's it. Lol
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1116 of 1125  Thu 16th Jan 2020 10:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5529

On 16th Jan 2020 3:12pm, MisterD-Di said: Where I live there is an idea to reopen the long-defunct Walmley station, which is within walking distance for me. The line is currently for goods only. The idea has apparently been spawned by our inept MP, supported by the equally inept West Midlands mayor. They don't seem to have considered that the line doesn't actually go anywhere useful. Not to Birmingham, nor even to Sutton Coldfield. It meanders from Walsall to Water Orton and I have no doubt that any passenger trains would be empty. I am all for more investment into railways, but not into white elephants and vanity projects that contribute nothing.
Not totally true, as the link to the line to Castle Bromwich still exists, which would thereby allow the opportunity to reinstate the original service from Penns (Walmley) to Birmingham New Street.
busman
Corley
All posts by this member
1117 of 1125  Mon 20th Jan 2020 7:54am  
Member: Joined Jul 2016  Total posts:24

I am interested in railways and have watched the opening of Kenilworth Station with interest. The passenger numbers quoted here are equivalent to 34 passengers per hour based on 52 weeks 6 days operating and 16 hours per day. The units used carry 140 passengers. So we have spent £10m? on the station, continue to subsidise the service, do not have the flexibilty of buses and leave passengers outside both city and village centre with 25% loadings when elsewhere units are full to standing. Suggest no one on here would spend their money on this
Roger Burdett

3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
1118 of 1125  Mon 20th Jan 2020 10:50am  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:58

Hi busman Thanks for doing the maths on this one - the loadings are perhaps a little disappointing but I'm a great believer in "if you build it they will come". It will be interesting to see if the numbers improve following the introduction of the direct Leamington service through to Nuneaton. It is all about connectivity. As for buses - unless the service is subsidised (by you and me), the bus companies aren't interested - bus deregulation has to be one of the biggest con tricks perpetrated on the taxpayer.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1119 of 1125  Mon 20th Jan 2020 4:26pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:243

Hi busman, The planning application for the station gave a usage of figure of 275,000. It takes a number of years for a new station to reach their full potential. Coventry Arena has seen a 30% increase in two years while Bermuda Park has seen an 80% increase. Given the 170,000 is for 11 months with no Sunday service I think they are well on target to hit the forecast. From observation the majority of passengers are through passengers (not getting on/off at Kenilworth) and I think the new service has made a Coventry-Leamington commute by train more attractive compared to an over-crowed Voyager on an (often late) Cross Country train. Figures are not available for this, but Coventry and Leamington have both posted an increase in passenger numbers. The present trains are second hand ex-London so the only cost was for the refurbishment (adding toilets). Peter.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1120 of 1125  Mon 20th Jan 2020 10:12pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:592

Yes, reaching critical mass takes time. When I was at school, there were about 2 trains per hour at Coventry station, okay, maybe 3. Now there's a train every 2 or 3 minutes, like the underground. I hope KNW will pick up in time - it's had since 1965-ish for passengers to desert the train and go elsewhere (thanks to Beeching and the then government's short termism). I wasn't aware that the present newish oilers* are second hand. * diesel
busman
Corley
All posts by this member
1121 of 1125  Tue 21st Jan 2020 8:13am  
Member: Joined Jul 2016  Total posts:24

Well hopefully Peter B the numbers quoted are for Kenilworth passengers rather than through passengers as that destroys the value cost for Kenilworth Station even more. On the point for bus de-regulation the correspondents obviously cannot remember the shambolic state rural services were in pre 1986. The only reason even now that most rural services run is for bus pass users only as the increase in car usage continues. Back in the 80s Kenilworth-Coventry by bus was every 30 minutes now it is every 10 minutes (probably thanks to Warwick Uni) so connectivity is certainly better now.
Roger Burdett

Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1122 of 1125  Tue 21st Jan 2020 10:18am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:592

busman said: Back in the 80s Kenilworth-Coventry by bus was every 30 minutes now it is every 10 minutes (probably thanks to Warwick Uni) so connectivity is certainly better now.
It certainly is, in term time. We have a lot of students who live in Leamington.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
1123 of 1125  Wed 22nd Jan 2020 1:54pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:509

I sometimes travel to Kenilworth by train during the day and there are usually quite a few Coventry University students on it who are staying in either Kenilworth or Leamington. It is a lot quicker and easier than travelling by bus, especially if the bus goes via Gibbet Hill Road which is gridlocked at peak times. I would be interested to know the relevant of number of users for term time and non-term time as I suspect there may be quite a difference. As an aside, the 2020 edition of the Bachmann Collectors Club calendar has got a photograph of Kenilworth station as the page for August. Fame at last, though it is fairly deserted!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
1124 of 1125  Wed 22nd Jan 2020 3:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1837

I see that Network Rail, the renationalised bit, is in trouble.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1125 of 1125  Mon 27th Jan 2020 9:40pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:243

Flash back to the 1970's today at Coventry. (Empty charter train going back to sidings at Burton on Trent). Peter.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1111 to 1125 of 1125 posts

Page 75 of 75

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 71 72 73 74 75
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Buses - past and present
|

Next (newer) topic

Pool Meadow and Fairfax Street (new and old)
You are viewing topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 155ms