Topic categories:

Public Transport and Travel

Railways around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1141 to 1152 of 1152 posts

Page 77 of 77

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 .. 73 74 75 76 77
No actionNo action
1152 posts:
Order:    

Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1141 of 1152  Wed 24th Jun 2020 11:55am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:771

I was referring to the present day station, Cheltenham Spa (CNM). It's down a dip, a cutting. It's on the Cross-Country main line to the south west. I've used it to go to Bristol, Exeter and earlier this year, Plymouth, which is near Devon. Smile
Public Transport and Travel - Railways around Coventry
PeterB
1142 of 1152  Wed 24th Jun 2020 8:05pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1143 of 1152  Wed 15th Jul 2020 11:53am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4388

Proposal to improve Coventry rail links.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1144 of 1152  Wed 15th Jul 2020 1:38pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:333

Hi Philip, You can read the detailled proposals here. They are proposing redoubling the Coventry-Leamington line to increase capacity. This will allow the existing Newcastle-Reading Cross Country service to go via the Airport and Coventry instead of non-stop via Solihull. The spare path through Solihull will be used for a Birmingham (Moor Street) to Oxford service. There will also be more freight capacity. This has been on the "nice to have" list for a while. Peter.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1145 of 1152  Wed 15th Jul 2020 6:48pm  

A bit of good news. Long overdue. Beeching: a "Doctor" brought in for a short term political "solution" by the “government”. Narrow-mindedness the order of the day. Paid £19k back then, a fortune in today's money. Degree in physics, so he’d know that doubling the speed of a train means a fourfold increase in energy needed, hence a fourfold increase in pollution. Basic stuff. But Beeching is dead and we are still here, having to pick up the pieces and deal with what is. The COV-LMS line bed is double width most (maybe all, I dunno) of its way, so the line should be doubled. In similar vein, the Kenilworth to Berkswell line should never have been closed, ripped up, now at the mercy of the HS2 White Elephant. We'll slowly get there, in spite of the bigwigs. Edited by member, 16th Jul 2020 7:59 am
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1146 of 1152  Sun 26th Jul 2020 11:35pm  

It might not be around Coventry, and may be further afield, but at the back of my mind, trains horns have always rung a bell (no pun). I must start by stating that I am not a train driver; in fact, I have never worked on the railways. But everyone has heard the blast of a train horn, so is familiar with its sound. Many years ago, I was in Milton Keynes. I got to MKC early, awaiting my train back to COV. It was about 1700 hours in winter, so pitch dark. This was in the days before the advanced nanny state, so there were no yellow lines on the platform. Not that I was standing close to the edge of the platform, but in the distance I saw headlights. An Intercity train was blasting through on its way to EUS. I guess the speed was in excess of 100mph. From a few hundred yards away, the driver sounded his horn, as if to say “I’m coming through”. I remember it being two-tone: derrr durrrrh… Deafeningly loud. Around that time, according to the papers, there were complaints from residents about trains thundering through and playing tunes on their horns, a favourite being ON ILKLA MOOR BAHT'AT. More recently, I’ve heard bits of that riff from a train, but can’t remember where. It seems to me that train horns have two notes (maybe more), totally under the driver’s control. And ON ILKLA MOOR BAHT'AT, which was based on a hymn tune originally, is very simple, so the ON ILKLA MOOR BAHT'AT bit only needs two notes, the dominant and the tonic. Example, in the key of F: ON ILKLA MOOR BAHT'AT C F F F C F Here’s the proof: Trains playing Ilkey Moor bah't at
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1147 of 1152  Mon 27th Jul 2020 4:12am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3556

Slim, that gives trains minds of their own. Philip will like that. Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1148 of 1152  Mon 27th Jul 2020 8:59am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4388

Fiction might have been the start of my interest in railways, model or full size. I read a Rupert story from one of the soft cover magazines, when I was in Paybody hospital, where the little characters stumbled across a railway line. Me, stuck in a hospital cage, it seemed quite an adventure at the time. The intrigue of looking at a railway line, wondering where it goes & so on. Happy days.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1149 of 1152  Mon 27th Jul 2020 6:28pm  

I imagine playing a tune on a two-tone horn is about the only outlet for a human being to show their individuality whilst driving a train. The outlets for such are legion for a motorist: go-faster stripes, louder exhaust, Maserati air horns (remember them?), lowered suspension, extra width tyres, driving like a maniac, flashing lights on and off, speeding, giving hand gestures, stamping on the brakes, swerving the steering from side to side, driving up the backside of the car in front... I have chosen the key of F (major) merely as a simple example. I don't have perfect pitch, so the trains heard could be in any one of the twelve keys. Maybe different trains have horns pitched in different keys? I'll let those with perfect pitch advise. I do wonder where the vicar who thought up Thomas the Tank Engine got his inspiration from, to personalise an inanimate object like a locomotive. In his day (steam), there was only a one tone whistle (I think).
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
1150 of 1152  Mon 27th Jul 2020 7:21pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:333

Hi Slim, Modern diesels have a two-tone horn. Like most things they are heavily standardised. Steam engines only had one whistle (except LNER express engines with chime whisitle), but being chain operated you could get different effects depending on how hard you pulled. Modern horns are probably digital. They are definitely recorded on the loco’s "black box" so misuse may have to be "explained". There is some infomation on Wikipedia.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1151 of 1152  Fri 21st Aug 2020 9:04pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5646

GWR 1501 in NCB colliery guise, Coventry Colliery 1967 - photo by John Wiltshire
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1152 of 1152  Fri 21st Aug 2020 9:37pm  

Just been watching the video of trains playing Ilkla' Moor again. One of the best was the Freightliner. Some of the drivers don't have a very good sense of timing the length of the notes, so the tune is not instantly recognisable. Others don't sound very good, and it's beyond the control of the drivers. It's the pitch, or tuning. The interval needs to be a perfect fourth, but some are slightly out (quarter tone), whilst others are way out (in excess of a semitone to my ear). I think the horn manufacturers have lost points in that round, Dickie. Wink

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1141 to 1152 of 1152 posts

Page 77 of 77

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 .. 73 74 75 76 77
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's first railway 1838
|

Next (newer) topic

HS2
You are viewing topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 124ms