Topic categories:

Railways around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 886 to 900 of 918 posts

Page 60 of 62

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .. 58 59 60 61 62
Next pageLast page
918 posts:
Order:    

PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
886 of 918  Mon 9th Oct 2017 7:36pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:112

Timings for the new Kenilworth service are now on Real Time Trains The trains are currently listed as "unadvertised passenger service" and run from the timetable change on 10th December. It is an hourly service booked for a "Sprinter" DMU (150/153/155/156). The first train off Leamington is 06:08 M-Sa, 10:08 Su. The last train from Coventry is 22:43 M-F, 21:45 Sa, 22:57 Su. For the bulk of the day the timings are: Leamington d xx:00 Kenilworth d xx:08 Coventry a xx:16 Coventry d xx:36 Kenilworth d xx:44 Leamington a xx:53 These closely precede/follow the Cross Country service. The train will mostly use platform 4 both at Coventry and Leamington. At Coventry it will shunt to the Civil Engineer (Leamington line) sidings while the Cross Country service passes through. It is not possible to book tickets to Kenilworth yet so there is no guarantee that the station will open and the service start on the 10th December. Regards, Peter.
Railways around Coventry
coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
887 of 918  Mon 9th Oct 2017 8:18pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:142

Have they reinstated a railway station in Kenilworth then? That's wonderful news and requested for many years. Where is it exactly?
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
888 of 918  Mon 9th Oct 2017 8:33pm  

The new Kenilworth station is on the site of the original station. More details here. Regards, Peter.
Railways around Coventry
coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
889 of 918  Mon 9th Oct 2017 8:56pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:142

Thanks Peter B - it's a miracle the former site hadn't been built on and can still be in Station Road.
Railways around Coventry
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
890 of 918  Wed 11th Oct 2017 9:08am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:382

On 9th Oct 2017 7:36pm, PeterB said: ... so there is no guarantee that the station will open and the service start on the 10th December.
I'm not putting any money on it. There's still loads of work to do on that site. It was supposed to be open last December, so it's already at least one year behind schedule. They started work ages ago, and seemed to be just clearing the site for many months, working on/under the ground, i.e. no visible building construction progress. Then they mysteriously abandoned the site for at least 6 months to a year (can't remember), and no work was done at all. I've heard all sorts of reasons, including "they ran out of money, the whole project has been scrapped indefinitely"; "the contractors went bust"; "they hit unexpected snags underground with natural waterways and old sewers"; "they had to abandon work as they found bats in the old buildings, and they're a protected species". The original plans and artist's impression proudly showed two platforms, and the line doubled (the bed is wide enough), but I note that the line is still singled.
Railways around Coventry
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
891 of 918  Wed 11th Oct 2017 9:12am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:382

On 9th Oct 2017 8:56pm, coventry49 said: Thanks Peter B - it's a miracle the former site hadn't been built on and can still be in Station Road.
Actually, it had been built on, but only single storey/shed type buildings, as it was a builders' merchants for many years. I suspect it was relatively easy to move them out and demolish, but that had it been residential accommodation, that might have been very difficult. At one stage, the site for the new station was going to be in Piper's Lane, by the tip, but there are quite a few new houses and flats there.
Railways around Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
892 of 918  Wed 11th Oct 2017 10:41am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4604

On 3rd Oct 2017 10:17pm, Midland Red said: Last Ever Open Day at Electric Railway Museum - this Sunday, 8th October, 10.30am to 4.30pm
This is the definitive list of what is happening next to the ERM collection, or at least those that can be confirmed so far: 309 624 (960 102) is to move permanently to be part of the fleet at The Lavender Line in East Sussex. The railway will take ownership of it and have exciting plans to restore it to a passenger carrying unit for use as hauled stock with their resident diesel locos 309 616 (960 101) also has a home at a heritage site where it will continue in the role it had at ERM as a cafe, museum coach and staff accommodation, the details of the site won’t be made public until after it has arrived there in the early part of 2018. The Ruston & Hornsby 88DS loco ‘Crabtree’ is moving to the same location. In addition to LAB 4 HASTINGS there are several other vehicles moving to the Battlefield Line, they are: The South Tyneside 2 car EPB unit along with the Ironclad tool van as a project support vehicle. The unit is being restored back to as built North East condition and will be passenger stock. The Ruston & Hornsby 165DE Diesel Electric 0-4-0 MAZDA, The LNER brake van, LMS hand crane and BR lowfit wagon. In addition the LNWR station waiting shelter is also to go to the Battlefield Line. The 2-HAP unit is currently the subject of a preservation bid by a group wanting to take it to a heritage line in North Wales. The 4-SUB and class 503 unit along with the spare 4-EPB TSO will be moving to secure, safe storage in the south of England. Both units will be the subject of much needed long term restoration projects and more details will be made available in due course by the owning organisation. The restored class 457 car 67300 and the Hawthorne Lesley Bo-Bo loco ‘Kearsley No.1’ will be moving to the East Kent Railway to go on display. The Colne Valley Railway is to become a hub for AC EMU preservation as the new home to both 312 vehicles along with the 307 and 308 cars; the latter currently contains the Victoria Line signalling display which will be moved to a more permanent home at the CVR in the future to allow the interior restoration of that vehicle. Joining these vehicles is RSH Bo-Bo battery electric locomotive Heysham No. 1 ‘DOUG TOTTMAN’. Both the Liverpool Overhead Trailer Car 7 and the body of the 1903 City & South London Railway Car are to be moved to storage. The remains of the steel C&SLR car is available to anyone this wants it as surplus to requirements. That leaves... The APT power car which is part of the national collection is currently under negotiations for a new home. Experimental wagon HSFV1 is likewise under negotiations so watch this space, it has yet to be signed off so this can’t be announced yet. 4wd Battery Electric loco EE905 Spondon No.1 has offers under consideration 2-EPB unit 6307 is awaiting confirmation of new owners and the 501 unit is awaiting agreement on a new site currently under negotiations. And that is everything....
Railways around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
893 of 918  Wed 11th Oct 2017 12:54pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1575

Real shame that's all had to go Cliff. Had a great day out with my lads there a few years ago. Pity the Council did not get more involved - and get the wallet out - too busy spending £20k+ on zig-zag paint Angry
Railways around Coventry
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
894 of 918  Thu 12th Oct 2017 1:00am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:878

On 16th Jul 2017 7:03pm, flapdoodle said: That railway museum is odd. We visited it once during a heritage weekend with the kids and had an enjoyable few hours there. It's clearly run by enthusiasts, but it's hard to see it having much appeal to many people and I don't believe it opens very often. When I drove past it a few years ago I thought it was a junk yard!
Well, I'm with you on this one, Flapdoodle. We were in Coventry for the recent Heritage Weekend and decided we would go to the Electric Railway Museum just to see it before it closed. What a disappointment! It did, as you suggest, appear to be nothing more than a scrapyard for old trains, a collection of derelict and rotting coaches. Just about everything was in a very poor state. The only thing we found of real interest was the old signalling system from the Victoria Line located in one of the old coaches. Other 'highlights' appeared to be coaches used for selling old clothes and various tat, plus a pretty ordinary café. I do like transport museums but this does Coventry no credit whatsoever and it is in my opinion a good thing that it is being put out of its misery. I would imagine only the most dedicated anoraks among trainspotters would gain anything from the place. If any of the 'exhibits' are of value then they need to go somewhere that is willing to invest in some restoration. Otherwise, the scrapyard beckons..... Cool
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
895 of 918  Fri 20th Oct 2017 6:25pm  

From Kenilworth News: The opening of Kenilworth Station will still happen on Sunday December 10, despite rumours it could be delayed once again. Peter.
Railways around Coventry
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
896 of 918  Fri 20th Oct 2017 8:37pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3862

Hi all Wave Thank you Peter for keeping us ofay with latest info. Just in case I am losing my mind & may need an ambulance, will someone else have a look at this, please? I have discovered that many local rail journeys, that are no change train journeys, appear to be the single fare price which includes the return journey, in other words half price. I have looked on two ticket web sites which confirm. For example, with my senior railcard, £2.50 is the cost of my return from the Ricoh to Nuneaton, then £7.15 on any train to Birmingham return. If I try & buy a combined journey return ticket from the Ricoh to Birmingham via Nuneaton, the total cost is more than double. The conductor on the train told me that. The reason for my journey outside the West Midlands area is because of meeting with friends, so I have not totally lost my mind on that. Besides it makes a change to travel past Old Arley & Shustoke.

Question

Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
897 of 918  Fri 20th Oct 2017 9:50pm  

Philip, Welcome to the wonderful world of railway ticketing. All the fares from the Ricoh (Coventry Arena) to Birmingham are routed "Via Coventry". Therefore, as you found, you need to buy two tickets. The national rail ticketing software only seems able to sell combinations of single tickets in these circumstances. National Rail is showing the single fare, with railcard, as £9.45 (£2.40 Arena-Nuneaton + £7.05 Nuneaton-Birmingham) so the official return fare is £18.90, slightly less than twice what you paid. When cheap off-peak fares were introduced, there were initially only on return tickets. On several journeys the off-peak discount was more than 50% so the off peak return was less than the (anytime) single fare. This resulted in people making off peak single journeys being sold return tickets. While saving money, they thought they were being conned, as they were only using half the ticket. This lead to the introduction of Off-Peak single tickets at 10p less than the return fare. There is a route "Any Permitted" fare from Coventry Arena to Coleshill Parkway of £12.90 (£8.50 with Railcard) which would allow you to travel out via Nuneaton and back via Birmingham/Coventry. There is also a cheaper "via Nuneaton" ticket which won't be valid via Birmingham. The train has to stop at Coleshill Parkway, but they all do. For some mad reason there is a Coventry Arena to Nuneaton via Birmingham fare! Regards, Peter. (if you think you understand railway ticketing, you've misunderstood the question).
Railways around Coventry
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
898 of 918  Sat 21st Oct 2017 10:49am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3862

Hi Peter & thank you Wave Pam was going to ring for an ambulance for me, but I am comfortable following on from a bowl of porridge. A party of ladies from Bedworth & Nuneaton are travelling to Birmingham for a shopping treat on Monday & are delighted with their, in effect, half-fare cost travelling, even after a decade of complaining that they do not get free bus-pass local rail travel like those of us who are resident in the West Midlands conurbation. Obviously, the West Midlands bus-pass rail freebee is just a perk & could be withdrawn at anytime, but I have at least enjoyed a decade of free local rail travel. For anyone outside the West Midlands the bus-rail-tram daytripper does the same as the bus pass. If I am freewheeling, in other words just out for a pleasant day, a scenario might be for the just past ten stopper to New St from Coventry, coffee 'n' muffin break, tram to either Jewellery Quarter or The Hawthorns, so as to exchange on to the Snow Hill/Moor St. line, then, it's anyone's guess whether I travel west towards Stourbridge or east towards Dorridge. Then a choice of either train or bus routes back home. Whilst all of that is free travel, it's not unknown for me to buy a bolt-on ticket on a train & continue out of the West Midlands in any direction. I have my own what I call good or bad weather routes, but as I sometimes reply to passengers, if the roof doesn't leak we will be ok. I am well overdue a trip with one of my forum friends who does now live further afield, so I am mindful of that, but you know how to contact me if you do fancy a trip time. The problem for me is I am over hooked with my volunteering work at present, but that maybe coming to an end or at least slimming down substantially very soon. My friend & I have enjoyed some really good trip times, we went to Crewe once, not for trainspotting I might add, we went for fish & chips where I was introduced to it served with curry sauce. I don't have it any other way now!! We have had high tea here & there, & solved a few Agatha Christie crimes in passing. Wave ps. Even during wintertime, if the weather is fair, sat in a sun trap out of the way of anyone else, this for me is a feast. This was from a chippy just fifty yards from Dorridge station.
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
899 of 918  Tue 24th Oct 2017 10:11pm  

(near Daimler Road) The Rail Adhesion ("Sandite") Train has been operating every day this month between Nuneaton and Coventry. It sprays an adhesive sand mixture onto the rails to improve grip during the leaf fall season. It arrives Coventry Yard at 09:15 and departs back for Nuneaton at 10:04. Despite this: "Passengers terrified as Coventry train 'overshoots station' - because of wrong kind of leaves" (Coventry Telegraph). The incident was yesterday (23rd October) and the train left Bedworth 18 minutes late. Peter.
Railways around Coventry
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
900 of 918  Sun 29th Oct 2017 9:48pm  

I went to have a look at Kenilworth station today as the line was closed for engineering work. The main work being done was relaying the single track adjacent to the new platform. There is also a new "loop entry" signal just visible under the new footbridge. This will working tomorrow as the track has been relayed across the site of its predecessor. The station building is a windowless shell, there are temporary doors on the lifts on the new footbridge and the whole site is still waiting for tarmac to be applied. With only six weeks until 10th December, the opening date is looking very optimistic. Peter.
Railways around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 886 to 900 of 918 posts

Page 60 of 62

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .. 58 59 60 61 62
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry City FC (Sky Blues)
|

Next (newer) topic

Have a laugh!
View similar topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 65ms)