Next pageLast page
85 posts:
Order:    

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
1 of 85  Wed 14th May 2014 12:39pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:985

Hi folks, Seeing all the informative photographs available on this site I felt we might be able to assist members in any photographic problems they may have. I am not a 'know-it-all', but what I don't know I can look up in my photographic library. From what I have seen on the site so far, many others have photographic skills too, which means there is a plethora of knowledge that can be passed on. Personally, I have very little knowledge of Photoshop - I use an entirely different image editing package (ACDSee Pro) which doesn't try to emulate the brand leader in any way. My philosophies If anyone asks "What makes a good photograph?" then my anwer will always be the same, "The one that fulfills the purpose for which it was taken." "Which is the best camera?" - "the one you have to hand when you need it." - a camera is merely a tool which allows you to capture images. "My pictures are not very good so I should get a better camera." - "No! Emphatically NO! You should spend time improving your own skills first. The picture is the work of the photographer, the camera merely records it. THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS. We all have to learn.
Photographic Assistance
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 85  Wed 14th May 2014 2:44pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2853

Thank you for those sensible tips Pixrobin, I for one will take heed. Wave
Photographic Assistance
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
3 of 85  Wed 14th May 2014 3:02pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:479

"What makes a good photograph?" - Impact and composition. Sometimes, just a couple of steps to left or right can vastly improve composition .

"Which is the best camera?" - The one which you feel least self-conscious about using in a public space.

Cheap digital cameras can be a little slow on the uptake, so if you are taking shots of kids playing, use the video function and then run the video through Windows MovieMaker to find the 'still' shot you like best. It is important to learn how to use the camera BEFORE you go out with it. Even cellphone cameras often have basic controls for brightness and format (landscape/portrait)

After a session with a digital camera, upload the photos to your computer. There is nothing worse than seeing a great shot but not having enough space on the memory card to get it. Also, carry spare batteries, and if you are a cellphone shooter, ensure that it is fully charged.

The difference between a cheap and expensive camera is the amount of enlargement that a photo will withstand before the image starts to degrade badly. Applies to roll film and digital cameras alike, so if you don't intend to blow a photo up to 10' x 15', a cheapie will do just fine.

Photographic Assistance
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 10:23am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1555

On 14th May 2014 3:02pm, Mike H said: ... use the video function and then run the video through Windows MovieMaker to find the 'still' shot you like best…
Thats a great idea Mike, although bear in mind, although it's "HD", it's a moving image that might appear sharp, but individual frames are often blurred which makes it difficult to find a frame that's usable and in focus. Further, it's printability at a reasonable resolution will also result in only a 6"x4" or 7"x5" photograph before degradation might be noticeable. Great for the family album or website, not so good for printing much larger. Might be worth checking if your camera has a sport mode, that will often set the shutter speed higher, resulting in a (possible) sharper image of moving kids.
Photographic Assistance
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
5 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 10:45am  

Hi Mike I agree with your first point within a pictorial context but sometimes it gets in the way of communicating information. If I was sending the local council a picture of a large hole in the road then I wouldn't want them to mistakenly think that I was putting in a planning application for an ornamental pond Wink Many of the pictures I took during my photographic career were to illustrate what had gone wrong with a piece of machinery. I'm glad you mentioned, as you put it, 'cheap and expensive camera'. So much is written about the technical specifications of cameras that it fills magazines on a monthly basis and often the same writers deride the cheaper cameras as 'point-and-shoot' models. To me, this is like suggesting that to do the weekly shopping you need a Ferarri. As you may have guessed by now I have several cameras but the one I use most frequently is also the cheapest.
Photographic Assistance
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
6 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 10:59am  

On 15th May 2014 10:23am, TonyS said:
On 14th May 2014 3:02pm, Mike H said: ... use the video function and then run the video through Windows MovieMaker to find the 'still' shot you like best…
Thats a great idea Mike, although bear in mind, although it's "HD", it's a moving image that might appear sharp, but individual frames are often blurred which makes it difficult to find a frame that's usable and in focus. Further, it's printability at a reasonable resolution will also result in only a 6"x4" or 7"x5" photograph before degradation might be noticeable. Great for the family album or website, not so good for printing much larger. Might be worth checking if your camera has a sport mode, that will often set the shutter speed higher, resulting in a (possible) sharper image of moving kids.
I was thinking more of those using cellphone cameras which respond slowly to picking up an image. I hardly see anybody these days with an actual camera. It's all phones and tablets here and none have sport mode, and even if they did, not having read the instructions, nobody would know what how to use it. Roll eyes
Photographic Assistance
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 12:33pm  
Off-topic / chat  

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 1:01pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
9 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 1:08pm  

On 15th May 2014 10:45am, pixrobin said: Hi Mike I agree with your first point within a pictorial context but sometimes it gets in the way of communicating information. If I was sending the local council a picture of a large hole in the road then I wouldn't want them to mistakenly think that I was putting in a planning application for an ornamental pond Wink
I have a Nikon F70 which has sat in a Tamrac bag (batteries removed) for the last 10 years. It is the last surviving 'good' camera, the rest having been sold off. My days of submitting 'trains n planes' transparencies to photo libraries are long gone, and now I am reduced to a flip-phone camera. This is one of my better ones, one of my grand-daughters on a 'lets get some cookies' expedition.
Photographic Assistance
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
10 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 1:15pm  

On 15th May 2014 12:33pm, Dreamtime said: All good tips duly noted lads. I have two cameras and paid a fair amount for each so they do a lot of the work for me. Having said that, I only wish I could always remember to take them out with me. Oh my They are always kept fully loaded so I never run out. Roll eyes Wave
As much as I hate cellphone cameras, and I do being somewhat of a purist, they are always to hand. Smile
Photographic Assistance
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 3:27pm  

Sorry Mike H, I have to be honest here, I absolutely hate cellphones. Yes, I do have one at my daughter's insistence for emergencies only but I never use it, and call me old fashioned if you like but I would rather carry two cameras. To each his own so they say. Wave
Photographic Assistance
Midland Red

All posts by this member
12 of 85  Thu 15th May 2014 5:26pm  
Off-topic / chat  

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
13 of 85  Sat 17th May 2014 8:38pm  

I've put these two images of the same subject up to show the difference between sunlight and flash. Well, on-camera flash at least. The sunlit picture shows modelling of the subject and more texture in the stone, though perhaps the flash picture has better colour rendering. I'm not suggesting that flash is not useful - but you need to be able to control it. With most 'point and shoot' cameras that is impossible. And flash exposure is only ever correct within a very narrow plane from the flash unit. Edited by member, 17th May 2014 8:40 pm
Photographic Assistance
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
14 of 85  Sun 18th May 2014 3:12am  

On 15th May 2014 1:08pm, Mike H said: This is one of my better ones, one of my grand-daughters on a 'lets get some cookies' expedition.
Hi Mike H, I meant to respond to this post before and say that little cutie would take a good photo with any camera and what a great caption - 'lets get some cookies' expedition. Would make a good advert for some product, she seems to know what she is looking for. Wave
Photographic Assistance
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 85  Sun 18th May 2014 6:25pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1555

So that's what Rob meant when he said "This site uses COOKIES" Big grin Roll eyes
Photographic Assistance

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 85 posts

Page 1 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Remembrance Sunday (Poppy day)
|

Next (newer) topic

A murder in Radford
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 174ms)