Next pageNo action
221 posts:
Order:    

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
196 of 221  Sun 24th Nov 2019 12:09pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1774

Never a fan but the day before the Beatles in November the Rolling Stones were at the Matrix. Also listed on the bill for November and December were Tommy Bruce, Freddie and the Dreamers, Brian Poole and the Tremeloes, Gene Vincent, The Hollies and Dave Berry. All became popular groups and the Stones are still around today. We had so much choice of music then, we had our favourites but I suppose you will always have one lot who come out on top.
Sport, Music and Leisure - Coventry Hippodrome / Theatre
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
197 of 221  Sun 24th Nov 2019 6:43pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:479

On 21st Nov 2019 12:06pm, NeilsYard said: Thanks to Tony Lay on FB - queuing around and into Chauntry Place for tickets to see some up and coming band called "The Beatles" Big grin
The only theatre in the country where they were attacked outside the stage door up the side alley! MrD-Di wrote in 2012 : "The subsequent appearance at the Coventry Theatre was a year to the day after the Matrix, 17th November 1963. They never played Coventry again". Paul McCartney was charged with speeding some time later on the Fletchamstead Highway and was fined by Coventry Magistrates! Edited by member, 24th Nov 2019 6:48 pm
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
198 of 221  Sun 24th Nov 2019 8:24pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:85

The Tremeloes, Hollies and Dave Berry are all apparently still active. I met the Hollies in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia when they came to perform for the Aramco expat community. They came in on visas which did not reveal their entertainment activities in accordance with the Kingdom’s rules in the mid 1980's! Cheers
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
199 of 221  Mon 6th Apr 2020 6:36pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1474

On 29th Dec 2012 6:51am, NeilsYard said:
20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
200 of 221  Wed 8th Apr 2020 2:13pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2020  Total posts:85

Picked this up recently. 160 pages and published in 1995. Limited edition.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
201 of 221  Wed 8th Apr 2020 7:14pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1604

That's a good book 20A, an interesting read. I do wish, however, that it had a decent index - for instance, if you want to see if Deep Purple played the Coventry Theatre, they're not listed in the index - you have to search through the book and hope they get a mention in the general text! (Which, in this case, they are - but many bands that I know definitely played there aren't listed at all !) But apart from that..... Thinking about that - I wonder if The Herbert or anywhere actually has listings of who played at the theatre? I'd definitely buy a book that gave a definitive year-by-year list !
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
202 of 221  Thu 9th Apr 2020 9:32am  

I used to save my programmes for the concerts I went to in the 60’s. Wish I still had them now.
20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
203 of 221  Thu 9th Apr 2020 10:40am  
Member: Joined Apr 2020  Total posts:85

I do have to confess, I've not actually read the book, only given it a quick flick through. But, having all this time now to fill, I could sit down and make a start.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
204 of 221  Thu 9th Apr 2020 11:24am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5642

A reminder of this thread which refers to many concerts and shows at the Hippodrome Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
205 of 221  Sun 12th Apr 2020 5:33pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3810

Hey don't think I should enter into this, I go back to seeing Old Mother Riley at the Hippodrome, the first one. Rob, what you missed were people like Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and the drum battle. But Ted Heath’s drummer Ronnie Verrell did a drummer drum with illuminated sticks and darkened stage, absolutely mind blowing. Yes I saw all the big names, met many, all the ones mentioned here, lost a girlfriend to Dennis Lotis in Torquay - long story, but her family's name is on this forum, that I'll not mention (her family). Teddy Boys, lengthened their coats, wore shoe lace ties, and ducks a**e hairstyles, first called Edwardian Strutters. While the girls, bless them, shortened their skirts or wore a lot of lace to make them bounce when they danced, curled their hair with curlers, and wore the new 'whirlpool’ bras and sweaters or a nice tight blouse, and everyone was happy.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
206 of 221  Sun 12th Apr 2020 6:59pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1604

Oh Kaga, you knew exactly what I'd loved to have seen, didn't you! Yes, seeing a live performance of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa would've been a real treat indeed. Now, I have to content myself with videos of them on YouTube. Thank goodness many of those great events were filmed and made available for us all to enjoy.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
207 of 221  Mon 13th Apr 2020 4:14am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3572

On 9th Apr 2020 9:32am, Annewiggy said: I used to save my programmes for the concerts I went to in the 60’s. Wish I still had them now.
Anne, you would have had them laminated for posterity today. Happy
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
208 of 221  Mon 13th Apr 2020 9:49am  

Yes, they would be worth a fortune on ebay too, not that I would sell them if I had them. Can’t imagine I would ever have thrown them away so mum must have had a clear out after I left when I got married or they got lost in one of our moves. Still have Adam Faiths autograph though signed to Annette !!!🙂
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
209 of 221  Mon 13th Apr 2020 10:19am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5642

OK Annewiggy - here’s a few of mine Thumbs up Billy Fury, Eden Kane, Joe Brown, Karl Denver, Allisons Billy Fury, Eden Kane, Joe Brown, Karl Denver, John Leyton, Shane Fenton Billy Fury, Joe Brown, Karl Denver, Mike Sarne, Marty Wilde, Mark Wynter Billy Fury, Joe Brown, Marty Wilde, Karl Denver Animals, Carl Perkins, Nashville Teens, Elkie Brooks
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
210 of 221  Mon 13th Apr 2020 10:52am  

I bet I went to some of them! Not the 1962 ones as I was still at school then, started work in 1963 so I would have had a bit of money then, not much as I was only on junior wages. I know I went to see Gene Pitney as my friend was a fan. We were lucky that there was always several groups on, not just one like now and costing a fortune. The only ones I know I definitely saw was Adam Faith and the Beatles but I am sure I saw a lot of the others on your programmes. Did you ever go to the dances at the Lanchester or the Matrix?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 210 of 221 posts

Page 14 of 15

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Theatres (other than Hippodrome/Coventry Theatre)
|

Next (newer) topic

Butts Stadium and Godiva Harriers
You are viewing topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 72ms