No actionNo action
27 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
16 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 4:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4825

On 9th Mar 2015 2:35pm, Norman Conquest said: When I was serving my apprenticeship I was occasionally given the bus fare to go to an ironmongers near the General Wolfe pub. This was to buy items like glass paper and items used by my employer H L Bates builder of Arbury Ave'. We were paid 1/- (One shilling) a week tool allowance that I spent with this ironmonger. I think the name was Forey's but it was so long ago I am not totally sure. Why ironmongers? They sold lots of things but never iron.
Forey's Thumbs up
Coventry Ironmongers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
17 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 5:59pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1982

gas centre, about six times to the Rivoli cinema at the tuppeny rush. lol Kaga.
Coventry Ironmongers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
18 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 6:08pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1982

There was a Lawrence shop in Ford Street sold tools etc, I seem to recall.
Coventry Ironmongers
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 7:13pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1259

On 9th Mar 2015 2:35pm, Norman Conquest said: ....ironmongers near the General Wolfe pub...... Forey's
I'm pretty sure I also recall a branch of Forey's near to The Forum (not this one!) in Walsgrave Road opposite Stoke Park School. I was still only a kid when it closed though - possibly early or mid 1970s?
Coventry Ironmongers
fidobsa
Hungary
All posts by this member
20 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 7:33pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2015  Total posts:36

They did sell things made of iron like nails and gardening implements, galvanised iron buckets, possibly corrugated iron roofing sheets. Anything made of steel is mainly iron so it reasonable to use "iron" as a blanket term to include wrought iron, cast iron and steel products.
Coventry Ironmongers
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
21 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 7:36pm  

1975 Telephone Directory shows Forey's at 529 Foleshill Road, 62 Woodway Lane and 304 Walsgrave Road Thumbs up
Coventry Ironmongers
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
22 of 27  Tue 10th Mar 2015 10:18am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:824

Gas centre. The tool allowance was not to buy tools but to maintain the tools given at the start of the apprenticeship. Harold (the H in HL Bates) kitted me out very well, four saws each for a different use, a block plane, a smoothing plane and an assortment of chisels. I did have to buy some other items and most were expensive. I had to buy only the best and a simple item like a folding rule made by Rabone cost about 10 bob. I enjoyed my time with Bates, after ten weeks in the workshop I was sent out with an elderly chippy, Walter Coplin of Longford who smoked a clay pipe. We worked in Tintersfield Hall in Rugby that was once the home of Rootes the car manufacturer, also Moreton Hall that became an agricultural college. Happy days but mostly wasted I'm afraid because once out of my apprenticeship I put away my tools and took up other employment.
Just old and knackered

Coventry Ironmongers
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
23 of 27  Tue 10th Mar 2015 10:25am  

Midland Red. By the look of the parked cars your photograph looks quite recent but I thought they closed long ago. Perhaps the sign on the wall is still there, I don't get out that way much these days.
Just old and knackered

Coventry Ironmongers
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
24 of 27  Tue 10th Mar 2015 3:55pm  

The caption says 2010, Norman, and it was taken as a "ghost ad" image and not for any other reason Thumbs up
Coventry Ironmongers
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
25 of 27  Tue 10th Mar 2015 4:07pm  

Thumbs up
Just old and knackered

Coventry Ironmongers
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
26 of 27  Tue 10th Mar 2015 7:42pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1259

On 9th Mar 2015 7:36pm, Midland Red said: 1975 Telephone Directory shows Forey's at 529 Foleshill Road, 62 Woodway Lane and 304 Walsgrave Road Thumbs up
Ah, thanks Cliff - I guess that Walsgrave Road branch wouldn't have been there much longer after that. That whole row of shops used to be referred to by locals as "Isherwood's shops" due to the most prominent of them by that name, a grocer's who made their own fantastic sausages and faggots - my word I miss those! "Food" for another topic maybe?
Coventry Ironmongers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
27 of 27  Tue 10th Mar 2015 9:51pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2234

Spices by the Shepherd pub, Keresley Rd, also there was one on Wallace Rd, think it was called Brown. I know the owner's name was Mr Brown, it then became a car accessory shop.
Coventry Ironmongers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 27 of 27 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Woven Bookmark
|

Next (newer) topic

Jaguar Statue
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 235ms)