Next pageNo action
27 posts:
Order:    

Davey
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 27  Fri 30th May 2014 4:57pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:53

My dad, Len Trinder, worked here before World War 2. He was away for five years with the Warwickshire Yeomanry and then returned to manage the shop. He became a partner in the 50's and the shop became Trinder and Lawrence. He bought out the remaining partner, Ernie Lawrence, and ran the business until he retired at the age of 68 in 1988. Ernie lived in a bungalow in Stoke Park and was a lovely old chap. They had the main branch of AA and ER Lawrence in White Street, near the Swanswell, which was demolished to make way for Coventry ring road. My dad died four years ago just short of his 90th birthday.
DavidT

Coventry Ironmongers
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 27  Fri 30th May 2014 6:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3947

Hi all Wave Fabulous memories wrapped up in this picture. I can almost smell the paraffin, turps & oiled metal stuff. Brill!
Coventry Ironmongers
Davey
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 27  Fri 30th May 2014 6:40pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:53

Yes, the smell is unforgettable. I like to go into ironmongers for a sniff now and again, There are a couple in Warwick that smell pretty good. We sold all the liquid items loose, i.e. creosote, meths, turps, parafffin. We also had fireworks, sodium chlorate weedkiller (explosive) and heated the place with paraffin heaters. How it didn't go up in flames I have no idea.
DavidT

Coventry Ironmongers
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
4 of 27  Fri 30th May 2014 8:29pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:884

I do remember this shop quite well from my Trading Standards days, or Weights & Measures as it was known then. We would inspect it a couple of times a year because of the sales of loose items as Davey has said. Ironmongers who sold in this way, which was most of them, would have metal jug measures of various sizes which had to be checked. They were all stamped by our office when new to show they were correct, but they did get knocked about over time. Lots of people used paraffin to heat their homes as recently as the 70s, and greenhouse heaters used it too. Other things to check were length measures. There would be one screwed to the counter, plus ones for sale, and all were stamped too. Scales and weights needed to be checked as screws and nails were sold by weight in shops such as this. There would be a Poisons Licence too, and some items covered by this had to be sold with the shop's name and address on the container. These included caustic soda, brick cleaner, and even Jeyes Fluid. Generally speaking, ironmongers were a friendly, compliant lot and it was mainly advice we dispensed to them.
Coventry Ironmongers
Blueleader
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 27  Fri 1st Aug 2014 11:05am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:39

Hi, I worked as a Saturday lad at Ron Shepherd Cycles in the late 1960's and was always nipping into the hardware shop. They were great guys and there was nothing you could not find in that shop. The service was brilliant and the shop was an aladdins cave. Happy days!
Ric Osborne

Coventry Ironmongers
Poetscorner
UK
All posts by this member
6 of 27  Sat 2nd Aug 2014 9:37am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:7

I remember the smell of paraffin etc too, which reminds me that there was another shop like this at the bottom of Ball Hill, ie the Forum shops, which was called Philips (?) That one sold all similar things too, lots of drawers full of stuff. I used to go there with my mum to buy the paraffin used in the heaters for the upstairs of our house (no central heating then!)
Coventry Ironmongers
DENCOL
LEAMINGTON SPA
All posts by this member
7 of 27  Sat 2nd Aug 2014 7:23pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2017  Total posts:69

The name was Peckhams, I was born in Emerson Road no. 25.
Coventry Ironmongers
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
8 of 27  Sat 2nd Aug 2014 8:07pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1004

Wasn't it Philips at the top of Primrose Hill Street
Coventry Ironmongers
Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
9 of 27  Sat 7th Mar 2015 4:06pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:215

I picked up an old oil can a few years ago that had a Coventry 'Broadhurst' ironmongers name on it, does anyone know where the shop was ? Sorry for the dusty shelf, have ongoing building projects Smile
Triumph - 'The Best Motorcycle in the World'.

Coventry Ironmongers
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
10 of 27  Sat 7th Mar 2015 4:25pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1140

Catshed. R Broadhurst is advertising in the Coventry Herald at 25 Smithford Street and 64 Hertford Street as furnishing Ironmongers. He called in the receivers in 1912 and his address is given as 8 Meriden Street.
Coventry Ironmongers
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
11 of 27  Sat 7th Mar 2015 4:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4827

In the 1920s and 1930s, they traded at 130 Queen Victoria Road Thumbs up
Coventry Ironmongers
Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
12 of 27  Sat 7th Mar 2015 5:01pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:215

Thanks very much, I tried to find out ever since I got it but knew you clever folk would know - brilliant, and same goes for this forum Thumbs up Andy Mount St
Triumph - 'The Best Motorcycle in the World'.

Coventry Ironmongers
scribe
North Wales
All posts by this member
13 of 27  Sun 8th Mar 2015 1:42pm  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:19

The photograph of Lawrence the Ironmonger brought back many childhood memories. As a child I was a regular customer at the White Street shop, buying bits and pieces for my Meccano set. My mother used to work at the tobacconist/news agent/ confectioner a few shops up towards the Swanswell. I can remember it as Morrisons, then Wagstaffs and then it was bought out by L.R. & G.R. Kay Ltd. of Leicester (I think). I have a vague recollection that somewhere along the line it was also owned by a Mr & Mrs Turner. Now that the grey matter has been given a stir, I remember some of the other nearby shops. There was Gladdings the Baker and was it Whettons the chemist on the corner of White Street and Weatley Street? They used to have a huge range of grease paint and had many of the artists appearing at the Hippodrome as customers, also I think there was a National Cash Shop possibly next door to Gladdings. The other side of the road I remember was mostly taken up by Goddard & Poke (Wholesale Newsagents). On the corner was the Sir Thomas White Hotel, I went to Frederick Bird SM Boys school with their son, Paul Knight - anyone remember him?
scribe

Coventry Ironmongers
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
14 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 2:35pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:824

When I was serving my apprenticeship I was occasionally given the bus fare to go to an ironmongers near the General Wolfe pub. This was to buy items like glass paper and items used by my employer H L Bates builder of Arbury Ave'. We were paid 1/- (One shilling) a week tool allowance that I spent with this ironmonger. I think the name was Forey's but it was so long ago I am not totally sure. Why ironmongers? They sold lots of things but never iron.
Just old and knackered

Coventry Ironmongers
Gas Centre
Perth Scotland
All posts by this member
15 of 27  Mon 9th Mar 2015 3:10pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:80

Norman C Yes it was Foreys A shilling today would be 5p, can you remember what you could buy for a shilling back then? Alan H
Alan H

Coventry Ironmongers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Woven Bookmark
|

Next (newer) topic

Jaguar Statue
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 244ms)