Next pageNo action
16 posts:
Order:    

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
1 of 16  Wed 4th Jun 2014 12:49pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2369

Coventry Transport museum link . Woman working in Coventry factories during WW2 LINK
Women working in Coventry Factories in WWII
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
2 of 16  Wed 4th Jun 2014 3:15pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:539

Thanks for the link morgana, Wave it was really interesting. When I first started work I worked with several older women who had worked in the factories in Coventry, and on the land in Brinklow, during the war.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
3 of 16  Wed 4th Jun 2014 4:19pm  

Thank you Tricia I bet those ladies had some interesting stories to tell my mum too worked in the Daimlar factory during the war .
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 16  Wed 4th Jun 2014 5:57pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2867

That's a thought Morgana, we have heard all the antics the lads get up to now it's time for the ladies. Come on girls show us what you are or were made of !!!! My Mum worked at the GEC before I upset their plans. Wave Roll eyes Oh my Wink Big grin
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
5 of 16  Wed 4th Jun 2014 7:01pm  

So true Dreamtime to think with out these woman most of us would nt be here. Even back then as it states the woman had to fight for equality nothing much changes does it. While my mum was working in the shadow factory being blown off her feet with the factory being bombed my dad was driving trucks in India for the RAF with not a bomb in sight. My mum had to also take a lodger in too with government rules he was a man from Yorkshire.
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
6 of 16  Thu 5th Jun 2014 1:16pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:479

This is where the rot set in Smile . Women working during WWII not wanting to give up their new found freedom and their own wages, proving that they were every bit as capable as men, setting up footie teams like Lockheed Ladies. When they were tied to kitchen sinks and bringing up the brats, all was well with the world. Now look at it.. (head down Oh my )
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
7 of 16  Thu 5th Jun 2014 1:20pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:479

On 4th Jun 2014 5:57pm, Dreamtime said: My Mum worked at the GEC before I upset their plans.
My maternal grandmother worked at the GEC off the Binley Road for years. I have a feeling that it was something to do with Blueprints in the latter years..
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
8 of 16  Fri 6th Jun 2014 8:19pm  

On 5th Jun 2014 1:16pm, Mike H said: This is where the rot set in Smile . Women working during WWII not wanting to give up their new found freedom and their own wages, proving that they were every bit as capable as men, setting up footie teams like Lockheed Ladies. When they were tied to kitchen sinks and bringing up the brats, all was well with the world. Now look at it.. (head down Oh my )
I wonder often if woman were still chained at the kitchen sink and looking after brats as you say , where would the world be today with out them, where would we be with out Marie Curie how would you drive in the rain with out Mary Anderson window wiper inventor or Patricia Billings , Emily Cummins, Katherine Blodgett, Rachel Fuller Brown, Gertrude Belle Elion, Rosaline Elsie Franklin and Helen Free where would cricket be with out the lady who invented the over arm throw and many many more. Smile Edited by member, 6th Jun 2014 8:21 pm
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
9 of 16  Fri 6th Jun 2014 8:54pm  
Off-topic / chat  

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
10 of 16  Fri 6th Jun 2014 9:27pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:989

"how would you drive in the rain with out Mary Anderson window wiper inventor" asks morgana That's easy! When I was in my mid-teens my dad delivered paraffin. The vehicle was an ex-army Bedford fitted out for the desert war: no side-screens and a two 12-inch square pieces of glass to act as a windscreen. I just leaned over and with a chamois leather wiped the outside of the glass. Lol Lol Lol
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
11 of 16  Fri 6th Jun 2014 9:42pm  

On 6th Jun 2014 8:54pm, NormK said: Is my dinner ready yet woman?.... Big grin Big grin Big grin..
Lol Lol Normk your dinners in the dog. Big grin Edited by member, 6th Jun 2014 10:33 pm
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
12 of 16  Fri 6th Jun 2014 9:51pm  

On 6th Jun 2014 9:27pm, pixrobin said: "That's easy! When I was in my mid-teens my dad delivered paraffin. The vehicle was an ex-army Bedford fitted out for the desert war: no side-screens and a two 12-inch square pieces of glass to act as a windscreen. I just leaned over and with a chamois leather wiped the outside of the glass. Lol Lol Lol
Oh my You could of could of been an inventor you should of put a patent on that. Big grin
woodford
coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 16  Sun 8th Jun 2014 9:45pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:175

My late mum worked in the ammunition factories in Coventry. She worked during the day and Dad worked nights, so that my oldest brother could be looked after before and after school. My dad didn't go off to war, for medical reasons, but they both worked really hard for the war effort Thumbs up Thumbs up
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
14 of 16  Sun 8th Jun 2014 10:23pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3086

On 6th Jun 2014 8:19pm, morgana said: I wonder often if woman were still chained at the kitchen sink and looking after brats as you say , where would the world be today with out them, where would we be with out Marie Curie how would you drive in the rain with out Mary Anderson window wiper inventor or Patricia Billings , Emily Cummins, Katherine Blodgett, Rachel Fuller Brown, Gertrude Belle Elion, Rosaline Elsie Franklin and Helen Free where would cricket be with out the lady who invented the over arm throw and many many more. Smile
Not to mention Miss Shillling's Orifice! Lol
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
15 of 16  Tue 10th Jun 2014 11:17pm  

Lol good one Dutchman Big grin Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hospital in Park Road?
|

Next (newer) topic

What was on TV the day you were born?
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 439ms)