No actionNo action
18 posts:
Order:    

houghton1854
coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 18  Mon 12th Oct 2015 1:06pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:13

Thank you so much for all posts about the whale. I never thought there would be so many responses!! I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing!! The photo is great. I was born in 1950 so looks like I was 9 or 10 years old.
The Whale
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
17 of 18  Mon 12th Oct 2015 5:30pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2527

houghton1854. Hi, I think you were a little younger, I would put it mid-fifties not sure, I believe it was moved from Trinity street to Corporation St because of complaints. At the time I thought it was classed as a big flop, it as been mentioned here on other topics, sorry if I disappoint you.
The Whale
Kerbstone
Auckland NZ
All posts by this member
18 of 18  Mon 29th Aug 2016 4:56am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:19

Hi everybody, I'd forgotten all about that whale, it was quite something at the time. I put the year at either early 1955 or 1954. I was at Courthouse Green School at the time and our teacher organised a trip to go and see this whale but unfortunately only so many in the class could go and to decide who they would be a lottery was arranged. Each child picked a piece of folded paper out of a container, if it had a cross on you were on the trip no cross, tough. One enterprising girl put her own cross on the paper and was shown up in class for cheating, something I don't think she forgot in a hurry. I decided to see the whale by myself and remember it was night time and people filed past it behind tarpaulins lit by electric light bulbs. I don't recall any bad smell although there was a notice warning people not to touch the animal because it was covered in some kind of chemical which could burn the skin, to preserve it I think. I wasn't particularly impressed, being so close to it one couldn't get a good idea of what it looked like and my height was a disadvantage too. The only thing that impressed me was the texture of its skin, it looked almost artificial, I didn't think much more about until now. Nostalgia, wow. Cheers Cheers
The Whale

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 18 of 18 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Old Coventry telephone directories
|

Next (newer) topic

Photo poser 4