No actionNo action
14 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 14  Thu 19th Jun 2014 9:51am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5025

This looked vaguely interesting the the Coventry Telegraph Take our test and find out how Coventry you are Take our specially crafted, 100 per cent accurate, scientifically proven quiz below to find out how Coventry you really are Coventry may have taken the brunt of the Blitz, but the city we call home has also given the world all manner of glorious entities: bicycles, London black cabs, The Specials, Clive Owen, Richard Keys and his prehistoric banter, a beautiful cathedral and an abundance of theatre creatives. But how Coventry are YOU? Do you know your Holbrooks from your Hillfields? Take our specially crafted, 100 per cent accurate, scientifically proven quiz below to find out the answer... How Coventry are you? I thought I'd give it a try - here's the first question You've got a first date and you want to impress. Where do you take them? West Orchards Food Court The Ocean SkyDome Birmingham Oh dear! I chose Birmingham as I probably wouldn't be so easily recognised by anyone who might tell the wife Wink Second question You're in the canteen at work. What's in your lunch box? A batch A sarnie A roll A cob There's an image of a salad batch/roll/cob - it's not a sarnie, that's a sandwich! And do you take a lunch box to the canteen? I remember a canteen as a place which served meals! Anyway, I guess it's a fair question to see what it's called in Coventry - I plumped for batch (don't know why Oh my ) Oh well, keep going - here's question three Somebody you don't know is talking to you in the street. What do you do? Pretend it isn’t happening Try and help them out Engage in conversation Threaten them Eh? I guess there's a right answer - or a Coventry answer - and I think I know which one is wrong But by now, my brain was beginning to get frazzled by this "scientifically proven quiz", and at my age I can't afford for it to get over-frazzled, so I gave up Has anyone else tried it?
News, Media and Current Affairs - How Coventry are you?
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 14  Fri 20th Jun 2014 9:42am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1843

My result = "You are as Coventry as LADY GODIVA RIDING A BICYCLE PAST PEEPING TOM! - Wow, you're as Coventry as can be. Cut you open and you bleed sky blue. You should run for MP and get the road works sorted." Big grin Edited by member, 20th Jun 2014 9:43 am
Kimbo
Chapel st. Leonards
All posts by this member
3 of 14  Sat 21st Jun 2014 11:57pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:56

I got the same as NeilsYard. However, I'll take issue. If they cut me open I'd probably bleed blue 'n' white (and maybe a bit of black 'n' yellow).
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
4 of 14  Sun 22nd Jun 2014 10:01am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1059

People up here tell me that I have a strange accent. My reply is usually, "Well yes, where I was brought up, the schools even taught us to count to more than 10 without taking our shoes and socks off." Big grin
Ron
Back home in Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 14  Sun 22nd Jun 2014 5:59pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2013  Total posts:105

How Coventry am I ? Well, I was born in Coventry to a Coventry born mum (and a Lithuanian dad). I was educated in Coventry. I'm told I have a Coventry accent, which seems to confuse those outside of Coventry. No matter where I lived or worked in the world in the aviation business, it always seemed to bring me back 'home' to Coventry in one way or another, so in the end I moved back to save the bother of moving home once again! Back in 1989, at one interview with a UK-based agency for a Middle East Head of State aircraft operation, I was asked if I had a sense of humour. With only 3 seconds to answer, my response was 'Well, I support Coventry City' (I have done since I was 4 years old). Something must have worked as less than a week later I was offered and accepted the job. If I knew then what would happen to the Sky Blues since then - it seems more appropriate now more than ever. Edited by member, 22nd Jun 2014 6:00 pm
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 14  Mon 23rd Jun 2014 4:46pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:489

I got the "Lady Godiva Riding a Bicycle past Peeping Tom" as well, but growing up elsewhere I obviously chose the right place to move to. When I first went back home after a couple of months I was told by almost everyone I met I'd got a Birmingham accent. Oh my Sad
DENCOL
LEAMINGTON SPA
All posts by this member
7 of 14  Mon 23rd Jun 2014 8:11pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2017  Total posts:69

I was born in Coventry 80 years ago at Emerson Road (Poets Corner) and I've lost count the number of times I've been asked what part of Birmingham I came from. I was asked once on the ferry returning from France.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
8 of 14  Tue 24th Jun 2014 4:16am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3158

Hi Colcov, I know the feeling only too well, even downunder, I am asked the same question, even from a fellow countryman. I really don't think we sound all that much alike, but then to other's perhaps we do. We as a family (after 40 yrs here) have never gained an Aussie accent and yet a friend of ours went to live in America in the 70's, was only there for about a year and came back with the American drawl. Was he 'putting it on' do you think? For the sake of repeating myself I will always remember where my roots are firmly planted! Wave
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
9 of 14  Tue 24th Jun 2014 11:30am  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

The most annoying aspect of being accused of being from Birmingham is usually the follow-up response after you've confirmed your Coventry roots. 'Oh, Coventry, well that's the same as Birmingham anyway!!' Angry Such is the geographical ignorance of people!
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
10 of 14  Tue 24th Jun 2014 11:55am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:855

There is a saying that the best thing to come out of Birmingham is the road leading to Coventry. Thumbs up
Milly rules

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 14  Tue 24th Jun 2014 12:55pm  

I second that Norm. (No offence to the Brummies) Wink
IslandCafe
Plymouth, Devon
All posts by this member
12 of 14  Tue 24th Jun 2014 1:40pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:86

Whilst waiting for my wife in Plymouth Hospital last week I had wandered off to get a coffee, I then attempted to find my way back to the eye department but soon realised that I was lost. A passing nurse seeing a bewildered 80yr old asked if she could help and offered to walk with me, as we walked we were chatting and she said "you're not from round here are you" ( I moved here in 1970). She then said "let me guess, Coventry". I was amazed as I thought I had long lost my accent. Then as she left me she grinned and said "ta-ta duck". It really made my day. Lol
Alan

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
13 of 14  Tue 24th Jun 2014 3:25pm  

Oh I love it, "Alright me dook?", an everyday greeting in my day. Lol Wave
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
14 of 14  Tue 24th Jun 2014 7:26pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1059

Offend Brummies - impossible! Wink

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

We're famous!
|

Next (newer) topic

Stoney Road bus lane
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music