No actionNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
16 of 20  Sat 19th Jul 2014 2:56pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:450

The first London to Birmingham trains are scheduled to begin in 2026, but with inevitable delays I would think 2030 is more likely, and Manchester will be much later. As for the HS1 link it will surely be our great grandchildren who see the benefit of that. I would think by then our rail system will look distinctly out of date compared with the rest of Europe.
HS2
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
17 of 20  Sat 18th Apr 2020 10:43pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:698

Work continues apace. I walked along the route of the old disused Kenilworth to Berkswell line (closed under Beeching), from Hollis Lane to Burton Green, earlier today. It's now called the Greenway, and there were quite a few walkers, cyclists and joggers, who, I am pleased to report, all respected the 2m physical distancing rule (not "social" distancing as it's misnamed by the government and their associates). A large swathe of countryside, almost parallel to, but actually converging on the old track, was being worked on throughout its length (or at least the part visible from the old track) by an army of vandals in bright orange unifoms, hard hats and boots. Chainsaws, some of them had, tearing down trees in a wood. Nearer to Burton Green, they've set up camp. More like a village then a camp: new roads, car parks, large gabled-ended buildings with all the facilities. The swathe that I saw is only about 1% of the total project length. It occurred to me that some of my tax is financing the project. This being a Saturday afternoon, they're obviously on premium time, as they work Monday through Friday. I wonder if they will be working on this white elephant tomorrow. Maybe they will be in church, confessing and repenting.
HS2
belushi
coventry
All posts by this member
18 of 20  Sun 19th Apr 2020 11:22am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:20

Hi Slim. Like you I am, on balance, against building HS2. However I think it unfair to denigrate the workers as an "army of vandals". The place where you live, the roads you travel on and the shops that you visit were all built by such people. And the place where you live was at one time woodland.
HS2
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
19 of 20  Sun 19th Apr 2020 4:02pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:282

"‘The first shock of a great earthquake had, just at that period, rent the whole neighbourhood to its centre. Traces of its course were visible on every side. Houses were knocked down; streets broken through and stopped; deep pits and trenches dug in the ground; enormous heaps of earth and clay thrown up; buildings that were undermined and shaking, propped by great beams of wood. Here, a chaos of carts, overthrown and jumbled together, lay topsy-turvy at the bottom of a steep unnatural hill; there, confused treasures of iron soaked and rusted in something that had accidentally become a pond. ... Hot springs and fiery eruptions, the usual attendants upon earthquakes, lent their contributions of confusion to the scene. Boiling water hissed and heaved within the dilapidated walls; whence, also, the glare and roar of flames came issuing forth; and mounds of ashes blocked up rights of way, and wholly changed the law and custom of the neighbourhood. In short, the yet unfinished and unopened Railroad was is progress; and, from the very core of all this dire disorder, trailed smoothly away, upon its mighty course of civilisation and improvement." Charles Dickens (Dombey & Son) on building the main line out of Euston just under 200 years ago. Nothing changes, but time is a great healer. Peter.
HS2
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
20 of 20  Wed 24th Jun 2020 12:59pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:698

Because of this infernal interminable lockdown, my body clock has been b...…. I mean, well and truly messed up. So I've been doing a lot of walking in the countryside, getting exercise and fresh air, often outside normal day hours. I'm talking of the wee small hours. It's good because nocturnal wildlife is about, most of the general public are asleep, and at this time of year, it never gets pitch dark and starts to get light before 0400 hours. It's also great not to have to contend with cyclists, e.g. the ones who think they have some divine right to cycle on the footpaths in the wood even though the signs say it is banned. Much of this walking has been around the Crackley Woods area, with its copious walkways. The old disused railway, tragically closed by short-sighted Beeching and his cronies, is one such. It runs alongside the new HS2 route for considerable distance. There has been more activity associated with the HS2 workers’ camp. The other evening, I heard noise and excited voices from that direction. It appears not to have come from the HS2 camp, but from a group of anti-HS2 protesters, who have set up camp right next to the site. Their website is: Crackley Woods HS2 Protection Camp There has obviously been tension between the two rival camps, resulting in police intervention. On the corner of the HS2 site a Cryfield Grange Road, a security guard is posted 24/7. He sits in a chair staring at the road, giving you an “I’ve got your number Sunshine” look as you drive or walk past in the dark. This morning there were two marked police cars parked outside in the road, with nobody in sight. What I cannot understand is why vast areas of farmland, the size of dozens of football pitches or a small airport, have to be dug up, concreted, tarmacked and so on when all that is being built is a railway line. (At the Cryfield site, acres of land within the compound have been covered in green plastic sheet for some reason.) What I do understand is that, however well-intentioned, the protestors are wasting their time. Whether HS2 is needed or not is irrelevant. That is not why it is being built. It will go ahead because several people will pocket a lot of money out of the project.
HS2

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Jordan Well
|

Next (newer) topic

Drinking fountains and water pumps