Topic categories:

Coventry Suburbs and Beyond

Westwood Parish (incl. Land Ownership and Development)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 35 of 35 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action
35 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
31 of 35  Sat 19th Mar 2016 10:45pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1858

pixrobin - looking at a 1938 map - that area seems to show Westwood War Memorial Nurses home - If I have the correct spot:
Coventry Suburbs and Beyond - Westwood Parish (incl. Land Ownership and Development)
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
32 of 35  Sun 20th Mar 2016 8:05am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1059

Think you've been led astray a bit there Neils Yard. What looks like a road going diagonally across your map was really just a cart track. On the photo it shows up as a hedgerow towards the bottom of the picture. Before the war there was no Charter Avenue west of Mitchell Avenue. Post war (or maybe towards the end of the war) Charter Avenue continued (albeit as a single carriageway) from Mitchell Avenue to Cromwell Lane. It followed the northern edge of Ten Shilling and Park Wood and then curved to join Cromwell Lane in the field south of where the 'Windpump' is shown on the 1938 map. So it is the five strip fields below that which interests me. In the photograph there seems a lot too much activity for them to be gardens of a house.
Coventry Suburbs and Beyond - Westwood Parish (incl. Land Ownership and Development)
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
33 of 35  Mon 6th Jun 2016 9:06am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1059

What will get me out of bed in the early morning? Only a photograph that needs taking. This is a grade II listed building in Cryfield Grange Road built around 1965. It is influenced by the modern American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. It faces NNE so the best time to photograph it is before 7am on a June morning. I made it with just five minutes to spare. Leaving the sheltered accommodation so early (about 6.15am) set off all the alarms but I had warned the staff of my intentions of my planned early morning adventure yesterday. To me the picture was worth all of that.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
34 of 35  Tue 7th Jun 2016 8:36pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:870

That's excellent, Pixrobin, really quite wonderful!
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
35 of 35  Sun 12th Aug 2018 3:31pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:688

Westwood Church. Some of my ancestors buried here two with gravestones.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 35 of 35 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Ansty and Shilton
|

Next (newer) topic

Tile Hill
You are viewing topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category