Topic categories:

Coventry City FC (Sky Blues)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 926 posts

Page 1 of 62

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .. 58 59 60 61 62
Next pageLast page
926 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1 of 926  Sat 12th Nov 2011 9:43am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3088

Are things looking up for the Sky Blues. Dare we hope for a miracle? I now know why my hubby was in a good mood after reading the Coventry Telegraph news so I am in for a happy weekend! Lol
Midland Red

All posts by this member
2 of 926  Sat 12th Nov 2011 11:04am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4265

Doubt it! I think the only "good news" at the moment is a) they will avoid defeat this weekend (no game), and b) there is still one team below them in the table Sad
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 926  Sat 12th Nov 2011 3:16pm  

Thanks for that little bit of 'good news', MR, actually we understood that the club was being taken over, is that right? Wink
Midland Red

All posts by this member
4 of 926  Sat 12th Nov 2011 3:37pm  

Nothing from this end AFAIK Sad Sad
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 926  Sat 12th Nov 2011 4:41pm  

I think hubby must have been having a 'senior moment' and was dreaming. However, he said something about it being in the Cov. Tel., when he went in on the computer. Wink
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
6 of 926  Sat 12th Nov 2011 6:43pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3188

A new company has been setup within the club itself but it still has the same owners.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
7 of 926  Sat 12th Nov 2011 11:54pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2635

Reading on another forum, the fans are not pleased that Highfield Road was sold off by Geoffrey Robinson so I read, also not pleased with the council either, so some fans are debating to get their own grounds, one suggested up the A444, and see how the council copes then with financing of the Ricoh, one said.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
8 of 926  Sun 13th Nov 2011 12:02am  

Robinson is not happy either. He gave away his shareholding at a personal cost to him of £20m on the understanding that the new owners would invest heavily in the club. Other fans gave up what was in effect was their life savings to no avail. The club already has the option of buying 50% of the existing ground which they have so far not taken up. The council's primary responsibility is to provide value-for-money for local residents, many of whom have no interest in football.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 926  Sun 13th Nov 2011 12:35am  

I don't think the fans know the part of Robinson giving away all that, if they did I don't think they would be tearing him apart like they are, also I don't blame the club not buying into it, from what I've read also as having dealings in the past with this council seems they haven't got anyone working there with any common sense, as one girl on the council said when I asked don't they employ anyone with common sense there, eg, on uncurable TB spreading through this country, London being the highest, and Middlesex putting police with anti stab vests onto the streets to prevent the foreigners spitting on the streets, also why don't they collect the scrap, and benefit as it's such a high price now, her reply was no, it's not what you know it's who you know to get a job here.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
10 of 926  Sun 13th Nov 2011 2:21am  

I'm not an expert on football but the concensus at Sky Blues Talk was that any new investment would be better spent on purchasing a half-share of the Ricoh Arena than on expensive new players. So far it has to be said, owners SISU have shown little interest in doing either.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 926  Sun 13th Nov 2011 3:14am  

Thank you all for your responses. I will now let the matter of the Coventry City drop. Sad Oh my Wink Sad Oh my
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
12 of 926  Sun 13th Nov 2011 10:30am  

On 13th Nov 2011 2:21am, dutchman said: I'm not an expert on football but ....
Neither do I know a lot Dutchman or do I take any interest in football, I was just reading the fans comments on line which I came across on the net. You're welcome, Dreamtime Smile
artful
lancashire
All posts by this member
13 of 926  Sun 13th Nov 2011 11:18pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:148

It was Richardson who sold Highfield Road, not Robinson, although both made a killing. The Richardson era was the start of the decline in the club's fortunes, which at the present time looks terminal. The present owners do not recognise that a football club needs its fans, they are the main source of income. Not only do SISU not recognise this, they bend over backwards to alienate said fans. They have sold or given away what decent players we had and replaced them with youth team players or players of League Two standard. Hence our gates have fallen to 12,000 and are still dropping, and this from a norm of 20-22,000. Things can only get worse.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
14 of 926  Mon 14th Nov 2011 10:17am  

This is sad news Artful, myself I can't stand footy I hear it every other week, when season is on but it's not good for the morale of the young children in this city that do love their footy, money money money that's all these companies think about not the future of towns' children's morale, something to aspire to, then people wonder why so many children go off the rails at the cost of the tax payer. Not so long ago I put to a London radio station when the cut backs were announced, will these teams, pop stars etc the oaps, children have supported over the years will they be giving them free passes when they can't afford to go to a match or download their songs free, as a lot of these avoid paying UK tax, the commentator replied good question, he then stated this is what Alastair Darling wanted to stop and was going into about these not paying tax but couldn't because of the loopholes. I just hang my head in shame of being British Sad when no one sticks together in this country especially for the sake of their children's future not just in these areas either.
Midland Red

All posts by this member
15 of 926  Wed 25th Jan 2012 2:08pm  

Is hosting this going to cause more trouble than it's worth? BBC report

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 926 posts

Page 1 of 62

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .. 58 59 60 61 62
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

The Council House
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Weather Bulletins
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 99ms)