Next pageNo action
48 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
31 of 48  Wed 26th Apr 2017 5:16pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1311

The photos don't suggest that any tuition is required - they're super, and the colours are stunning! Thumbs up
New Cathedral of St Michael
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
32 of 48  Wed 26th Apr 2017 5:28pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:99

On 26th Apr 2017 5:16pm, Rob Orland said: The photos don't suggest that any tuition is required - they're super, and the colours are stunning! Thumbs up
Agreed.
Midland Red
33 of 48  Wed 26th Apr 2017 6:44pm  
Off-topic / chat  

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
34 of 48  Wed 26th Apr 2017 10:53pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1550

On 26th Apr 2017 12:20pm, Midland Red said: I'm not very good with indoor photography....
Wow Cliff, those are amazing, I also don't think any tuition is required! Thumbs up
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
35 of 48  Thu 27th Apr 2017 7:00pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:851

Great photos. The interior of the cathedral is fantastic.
Rob Orland
36 of 48  Fri 28th Apr 2017 7:27am  
Off-topic / chat  

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
37 of 48  Fri 28th Apr 2017 10:54am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1025

On 26th Apr 2017 6:44pm, Midland Red said: Thank you, both. The praise should be for the wonderful subjects, not the shooter Wink
I disagree. I don't have the skills to create such a building. I don't have the skills to design such a tapestry. You have the skills to produce photographs of them and load them onto this forum for members from around the world to see.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
38 of 48  Fri 15th Sep 2017 11:51am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1196

I was lucky enough to get a copy of Basil Spence's book "Phoenix at Coventry" while I was on holiday last week and it made interesting holiday reading. It made me think about the size of the tapestry. Does anyone know of any pictures were taken of the transporting of the tapestry or when it was being hung in the Cathedral. Both jobs must have been difficult.

Question

Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
39 of 48  Fri 15th Sep 2017 6:51pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:181

Hi Anne, There is a sketch of the tapestry being hung inside a Coventry Evening Telegraph Supplement (18 May 1962). Unfortunately the quality isn't brilliant as I had to take a photo of the sketch on my phone (the drawing is A2 size and therefore is too big to scan). Luke. Smile
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
40 of 48  Fri 15th Sep 2017 10:13pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1196

Thanks for that Luke. The pictures seem to show the last usual last minute rush to complete with all trades working away !!
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
41 of 48  Fri 15th Jun 2018 11:47pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:327

Here is a different view of the interior with wide angle lens. Also very effective. I received this from an email so acknowledge the photographer Arnold Frederick Storey.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
42 of 48  Sat 16th Jun 2018 2:43am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1764

My favourite bit is often missed in those huge concrete aisle columns - many don't spot that the bases end in this reduced width - it's an amazing 'floating' effect Edited by member, 16th Jun 2018 2:44 am
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
43 of 48  Sat 16th Jun 2018 5:26pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2081

Yes Neil. Just like in plus fours of those days, I hate it, that's why I haven't posted on this topic before, why didn't they get the range right with those cannon balls and knock it down. Is that guy having a shower standing in a bottle? The outside looks like a prison and the guy on the wall reminds one of Belsen. The Cathedral was never re-built. And this one is not like any other Cathedral in the land. It upset thousands of people of that era that wanted the real Cathedral to survive as they had done, so they could pray as they had done in the past. Even Ypres was more destroyed than Coventry but look at it today and compare. Between 1945 and 1960 the working man in the city, the guys that returned from the war and the people who had lived their lives in the city had no say in the matter, the story on the streets was of money, backhanders, etc. and who knew who. Rob, Mods, if this is offensive in any way then please delete it, the Cathedral is of today all the people of the old Cathedral days have now departed and I'm about to follow.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
44 of 48  Sun 17th Jun 2018 5:04am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3030

Don't worry Kaga, we all know we all have a right to our own opinions and I am sure no offence has been taken, no matter how much we love the old Cathedral and the new (which I do happen to think has its own modern beauty) so let's hope it will stand for as many years as the old for the sake of the younger generations to come. Hey! there's a few thousand of us around from the old Cathedral days yet so hang around a bit longer will you. Cheers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
45 of 48  Mon 18th Jun 2018 9:12am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2081

Basil Spence did what few men achieve he got his name in the history books through Coventry but he did that for his own ego and finance, He did nothing for Coventry or it''s people in real terms, never helped a person across the road never spent any money in Coventry shops never had school chums in the City like you and me. In fact I don't think he ever stepped a foot in Coventry until he won the Competition. Unlike Jock Forbes- Stonemason, and a Mr Eaton, and two others who. The second morning after the raid (Saturday) I was taken into Coventry with my Father. we stood as close to the Cathedral as was possible what we heard that four men had been on the Cathedral roof from the start of the raid and for about three hours they kept the fires at bay by then a fire brigade had joined them but the water ran out otherwise it would have been a different story we would probably not have lost the Cathedral. Can you imagine high on a building, explosives, incendiary, all manner of bricks and flack flying through the air colossal noise, heat, (No I don't think you cannot imagine it) they neither asked for reward or got reward, unlike Spence who had no time for the old Cathedral and had never stepped inside the building and cared little of what had stood majestically for centuries over our City. I wrote those two names on the inside of a fag packet and kept in my Mothers bible and still have today. Sometime in the eighties I read that Spence was criticised for his work and designs by his own kind so l and other Coventry people were not the only ones.who hated his design.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 45 of 48 posts

Page 3 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Warwick Road Goods Yard & Grosvenor Road Footbridge
|

Next (newer) topic

St Michael's Baptist Church