No actionNo action
50 posts:
Order:    

paulsadler
hillfields
All posts by this member
46 of 50  Mon 21st Dec 2015 6:51am  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:72

disorganised1. I do also remember these watering holes and you're right, they have all changed for the worse. Mymain local was the Market Tavern and the City Arms and the Rockhouse, ending up at the Top Spot but I also used go to the Penny Black and all of the pubs you have mentioned - good old days, why did they have to go. Wave
p l sadler

City centre pub and club crawl
sadman474
tile hill
All posts by this member
47 of 50  Mon 1st Feb 2016 12:40am  
Member: Joined Jan 2016  Total posts:2

We used to go to the Market Tavern and then go on to Jaguar where we group sang Mary Hopkins "All my ????" or Ringo Starr's "Yellow submarine". Then go to top of Broadgate where we were offensively moved on by the police and safely catch bus in Pool Meadow to home in Wyken.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
48 of 50  Mon 1st Feb 2016 7:56am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4660

"Those were the days". Thumbs up
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
49 of 50  Mon 1st Feb 2016 8:20pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:488

On 21st Dec 2015 5:00am, Disorganised1 said: My friends all had regular girlfriends and I didn't, so I started drinking in town. My first regular watering hole was The Golden Cross, and so it remained for next 10 years. We formed a darts team and played all around the city as we worked our way up the leagues, achieving promotion in 4 consecutive seasons. From the Cross we would regularly set out on a 'crawl' around the nearest pubs. From the Cross we would go to the 'Dive', The Lady Godiva, then down to The Greyhound, back to The Bear, then on to The Dog and Trumpet. If we had 'the ladies' with us we would choose a more sedate group of hostelries. Starting from the Cross we would go to Water's Wine Bar, from there to The Rose and Crown, then out the backdoor and across to The Penny Black, before finishing up at the 3 Tuns. Not many of these old time pubs are left now, but others less popular at the time have grown with the student influx. The Oak Inn, which used a be a linoleum floored run down pub, used mainly as an Irish Club is now a large student venue, The Colin Cambell has become The Phoenix."
I`m glad you thought Water`s wine bar was "sedate" Disorganised! I remember one lunchtime was taken there by the Works Engineer from Morris Motors - I was with the Building Contractor`s Surveyor. We entered through the back door - had a few in the little back room then worked our way through to the front long bar - don`t know how many we had - don`t remember any nourishment other than liquid. Time to leave - picked up by our Contract Manager and dropped off at the office. Met him again the next day, he buttoned me with the words:- "Ay you! I got into trouble with my wife this morning - when she got into the car she said it smelt like a brewery" Not sure if the lesson learned was "don`t drink in sedate wine bars"
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
50 of 50  Fri 25th Aug 2017 7:46am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4660

On 22nd May 2014 2:29pm, NeilsYard said: Yes, Norm's correct - the club was in Watch Close and is still there and last I knew operated as Laser Quest though it looked like it was not in the best of condition the last time I saw it. The O'Briens used to own it. Their daughter Michelle and her mum used to collect the entrance fee inside the door. I was always quite keen on her - always immaculately dressed if I recall. Big grin
Neil - have a look through today's "On this day" Telegraph photos Wink

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 50 of 50 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Parks (other than War Memorial Park)
|

Next (newer) topic

Welcome to the Historic Coventry Forum
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 92ms)