Next pageLast page
51 posts:
Order:    

JayC
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 51  Mon 14th Nov 2011 7:38pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:15

In the mid 1980's, what pubs in the city centre did everyone frequent? On a Saturday night, we always started at the Tally-Ho. After that it was then on to The Silver Sword, The Alhambra, Penny Black, 3 Tuns and Clarets wine bar. If we were brave we occasionally stopped off at the Turks Head. Then to the Parson's Nose for a bag of chips before finally on to Tomango's night club. Great days!
City centre pub and club crawl
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
2 of 51  Mon 14th Nov 2011 9:34pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2216

Hi Jason it was more night clubs but not that often. Shades was one in the Burges, a friend used to be the bouncer there, Bill Wilson, I think it's called Reflections last time I heard, also Mr George's where he worked too, twice I went in the Three Tuns and once the night club known then as the Bags Ball Lol in Bishop Street just up from Maria's Parsons Nose. I've been once in the Jaguar, Corporation Street, and Coventry Climax in the Arcade by the birdcage to meet my friend whose regular it was.
jetblue
Carmarthen
All posts by this member
3 of 51  Tue 15th Nov 2011 8:40am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:10

Hi all, first post today. Smile I remember all them pubs, although some of the names were slightly different in the late 70's/early 80's. The original Turks Head then changed to the City Centre pub which is what it was called when I used to go down the town, then it changed back to the Turks Head again. I think the Bags Ball you refer to in Bishop Street was the Top Spot nightclub, and before it was Tomangos, that nightclub was called the City Centre Club. I also used to frequent the Smithfield now and again and the White Bear or the Bear up near the Godiva clock but I think that got knocked down quite a few years ago. I would venture into the Market Tavern now and again but that was always a bit too young / punky for me. End of the night would would normally end up at the Kwik Chik chippy in the Burges or the Parsons Nose - they did nice scallop batches there, you try asking for one of them where I live now and you get blank looks!
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 51  Tue 15th Nov 2011 3:55pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1815

My era for this kind of activity Cheers We'd get the 23 into town after meeting at The Spires or Holyhead then walk up from Pool Meadow to The Alhambra. Then over the road to the Silver Sword. Could be a take your pick from there on in but others normally included would be The Smithfield, The Bug and Black Bat, Waters, Cassidys'/Yates', that wine bar opposite the Quadrant whose name escapes me. A late one could be either Park Lane (with Memory Lane upstairs), The Pink Parrot (with Cleopatra's upstairs), Studio 21 or Browns when it was in Lower Precinct. To name but a few. Anyone else remember the names of the clubs in Lower Holyhead Road (with the dancefloor upstairs) and the bar that opened in Hales Street by the grammar school (which was also up some stairs?)
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
5 of 51  Tue 15th Nov 2011 7:18pm  

On 15th Nov 2011 8:40am, jetblue said: I think the Bags Ball you refer to in Bishop Street was the Top Spot nightclub.
Ahrr yes it was Top Spot, thank you Jetblue for reminding me. Cheers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
6 of 51  Tue 15th Nov 2011 7:28pm  

On 15th Nov 2011 3:55pm, NeilsYard said: . . . wine bar opposite the Quadrant whose name escapes me.
Was the wine bar the Litten Tree Wave
Genghis Smith
Ireland
All posts by this member
7 of 51  Tue 15th Nov 2011 11:23pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:70

Not sure of the name of the bar in Hales Street, but was it above the New Orient cafe? I seem to remember it was licensed upstairs. We used to go in there when the pubs shut on a Saturday afternoon at 2.30!!!!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 51  Fri 9th Dec 2011 2:18pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

The Kwick Chick in The Burges was run by the father of Martin Marquez (of "Hotel Babylon") and John Marquez (of "Doc Martin") - they lived in Binley Woods and Martin attended King Henry VIII Grammar School Martin's daughter is Ramona, Karen in "Outnumbered" Thumbs up
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 51  Fri 9th Dec 2011 8:16pm  

In the 80s my young friends (teenage lad) mother was the manageress of the Kwick Chick Lol you don't want to know what the lads used to do with the food there, hence me never eating out along with other things I've seen in my time Oh my
gizmo6
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 51  Sat 12th May 2012 3:01pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:1

Does anyone remember a pub in the city centre which Im sure was called The Thistle? Think it somewhere around the Arcade possibly near to where the large Argos is now. I remember going in there once and it ironically being full of scottish people. The Penny Black was the first pub I ever went into taking my first trip into town on a saturday night.
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
11 of 51  Sat 12th May 2012 3:28pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

You're right, The Thistle was down at the end of the arcade, near to the hi-fi shop called 'Electronic Services' run by the Barton brothers. Cheers
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
12 of 51  Sat 12th May 2012 3:43pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3000

On 12th May 2012 3:01pm, gizmo6 said: Does anyone remember a pub in the city centre which Im sure was called The Thistle?
Opened 6th March 1962. Replaced a pub of the same name in West Orchard destroyed in 1940. Closed 1991 to be replaced by Argos.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 51  Sun 13th May 2012 4:04pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1815

I remember The Thistle well. For some unknown reason my mate decided it would be a good place to have a mid-morning drink before he got married at the Registry Office not too long before it closed down. It was like a scene from a set off The Sweeney. Full of smoke - sunbeams marked through browned window glass. About half a dozen drunks one of which was slumped over the pool table along with a couple of what appeared to be 'ladies of the night' doing a bit of OT Oh my
DavidG
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 51  Thu 28th Feb 2013 12:56pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2013  Total posts:1

Where were Times Square and Studio 21? Been trying to recall all the pubs/nightclubs from when we used to be out in the late 80s with some friends recently and remembered the names of these two but couldn't remember where they were.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
15 of 51  Thu 28th Feb 2013 4:16pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

This may interest you Cheers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 51 posts

Page 1 of 4