Next pageNo action
16 posts:
Order:    

morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
1 of 16  Tue 15th Nov 2011 9:12pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2234

Can you tell me what this is and where it is today, also can you connect this to what always puts Coventry on the map throughout recent history and makes Coventry successful. Some years ago I put the answer to a lady that worked at Coventry s car museum and she agreed and said she had never thought of the link which always is a success in Coventry manufacturing. Big grin
Rotherham's watch-makers
jetblue
Carmarthen
All posts by this member
2 of 16  Wed 16th Nov 2011 7:54am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:10

I would guess that its the old Cash's factory in the background which was famous for being one of the leading silk weaving businesses in the country so maybe the ironwork is something to do with the old weaving machines from the factory? The factory has been turned into flats / houses and last time I heard it was owned by Touchstone housing, I used to service a lot of the gas appliances in the building back in 2000 when I worked for a company that did all the gas/heating maintenance for Touchstone.
Rotherham's watch-makers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
3 of 16  Wed 16th Nov 2011 11:10am  

Hi Jetblue yes it is old Cash's factory, this was what drove the main machinery, the old factory you are correct are flats and houses, but Touchstone does no longer own them, it's Midland Heart now owns it. The connection of this to all other things which has put Coventry on the map is WHEELS, everything you might say is lucky for Coventry has been run by wheels, the watch industry have wheels inside, car, bikes, sewing machines etc. Wave Smile
Rotherham's watch-makers
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
4 of 16  Wed 16th Nov 2011 11:50am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

Hi morgana Those look like the bevel gears that linked the steam engine at the end of the row of top shops to the overhead shaft that drove the Jacquard looms in the top shops. I reckon they ought to put the looms back and start weaving again!!! Coventry could do with some of its former industries back, couldn't it? I have an early 1930s Alfred Herbert catalogue, and it is truly amazing what Herberts' made and sold, worldwide. In one way, it's hard to understand why such a large and famous firm has withered and died. I went there for a job interview in the 70s, and it was obvious then that it was doomed; too little investment, too late - the typical tale of British industry. The watch industry was another prime example. In 1868, delegates from Britain and Switzerland went to a US trade fair to try to understand how they could make watches so cheaply. The Swiss went back, and said "We must unite into large factories and mass produce, or we go under." The British came back, and formed the BHI, with the avowed aim of "keeping out these cheap and nasty foreign imports at all costs - they'll spoil our trade. But the British public will always want our high quality products." They missed the fact that American watches may have been cheap, but they were excellent quality. Four watch firms went for mass production: Ehrhardt's of Birmingham; The Lancashire Watch Co; Rotherham's, and the Coventry Movement Co. The latter was set up to make 10,000 movements a week. The largest order they ever received is said to have been 1000 in total. Rotherham's survived the longest, but only by buying a factory in Switzerland, and fitting an increasing number of Swiss parts in their Coventry-made watches. So much of our industry has gone the same way, especially in Coventry. And the sad thing is, it won't ever come back.
Rotherham's watch-makers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
5 of 16  Wed 16th Nov 2011 2:12pm  

Yes that is what they are and agree it would be great if we could regain this industry and others you have mentioned which I have sent you a private message on that. As for Rotherham they changed their name I'm sure as I used to work for Steve Fish at the Bablake Old Boys Cricket Club, his father started the watchmaker company as I read in the paper, which was a surprise to me as I didn't know this, at the time I was their tea lady, Rotherham's is an engineering factory which was based in Longford and changed the name to Aeromec not sure on the spelling of that, but now they have moved somewhere else. Smile
Rotherham's watch-makers
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
6 of 16  Wed 16th Nov 2011 3:00pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

Hi morgana Wave Wow, we're busy today!! Rotherham's was not only one of the older watch and clock makers in the country, but was the longest continuously in business. It started in 1747 as Samuel Vale and Co; Vale, Howlett and Carr in 1754, and Richard Kevitt Rotherham joined about 1760. It became Vale and Kenyon for a while, then with John Rotherham, in 1787, Vale and Rotherham. Ultimately it became John Rotherham and Sons, which I believe was changed in the 20th century to Rotherham and Sons Ltd. (Acknowledgements to Baillie) They became a part of Matrix Churchill, I believe in the 1980s? And in more recent times, I think there was a management buy-out of the Rotherham's part of Matrix when it went under? I had been in their social club several times in the early 60s, and around 1980, when I was a pistol shooter in the Midland Arquebusiers (Part of the Coventry and District Small-bore Rifle Association) the range was moved into Rotherham's old factory.
Rotherham's watch-makers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
7 of 16  Wed 16th Nov 2011 3:55pm  

Ahrr that would explain when I read on here about the watchmakers of Coventry being different name to Steve Fish. So perhaps that as you explain is why they went into engineering, which I was offered a job there too, lol, by his head foreman who name was also Steve no butter on his bread Lol at the cricket as I worked so quick and precise. Smile
Rotherham's watch-makers
eeggman
Surrey
All posts by this member
8 of 16  Mon 17th Jun 2013 10:18pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:3

Does anyone have a contact for Steve Fish, I'd like to contact him about Rotherham & Sons I understand the brand is still going but can not find any detail on the net. If any one knows of anything, be interested to hear anything.
eeggman

Rotherham's watch-makers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 16  Mon 17th Jun 2013 11:08pm  

Welcome to Historic Coventry, eeggman. Not sure if this helps, the man in the centre is Steve Fish,
Rotherham's watch-makers
eeggman
Surrey
All posts by this member
10 of 16  Mon 17th Jun 2013 11:11pm  

Thank you, Morgana, searched around, not found any contact for him yet, was wondering if he still owns Rotherham's
eeggman

Rotherham's watch-makers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
11 of 16  Mon 17th Jun 2013 11:28pm  

A few years ago he was in the Coventry Telegraph, last time I seen him in Longford was a fair few years ago, where Rotherham's was, then changed its name to Aeromech, so I assumed it had gone into engineering, prior to that it was at Bablake Old Boys Cricket Club. I could ask a man I know related to one of the cricketers he used to play cricket with, but I'm not sure when I will get to see him again. I would imagine he still does own it. Someone on here might know. Rotherhams has moved to Nuneaton - LINK
Rotherham's watch-makers
eeggman
Surrey
All posts by this member
12 of 16  Mon 17th Jun 2013 11:44pm  

Great, thank you, have emailed Coventry Watch Museum as I thought they may know him.
eeggman

Rotherham's watch-makers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
13 of 16  Mon 17th Jun 2013 11:48pm  

You're welcome, hope you find him.
Rotherham's watch-makers
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 16  Sat 19th Apr 2014 8:57am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:179

A relation of mine works at 27 Spon St, would I be correct in thinking that this is the old Rotherhams building. ?????????
Rotherham's watch-makers
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
15 of 16  Sat 19th Apr 2014 2:08pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3011

Yes! Smile
Rotherham's watch-makers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Virtual Rambling (Our World) Where You Live
|

Next (newer) topic

Banbury Buildings
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 345ms)