No actionNo action
98 posts:
Order:    

Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
91 of 98  Thu 23rd Feb 2017 5:19pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:258

That first picture of the two Baz is just as I remember the City Arcade, looking from Smithford St towards the Barracks Market, complete with the clock. But I only knew it late in the war and after. The windows were boarded up with small panes of glass in the centre when it came into use after the bombing!
Coventry's Markets
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
92 of 98  Thu 23rd Feb 2017 5:51pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4469

On 23rd Feb 2017 4:46pm, Prof said: What a fantastic image NeilsYard, it makes one feel you could walk down Market St to see it. Looks as if this was the side entrance to Boots which fronted onto Broadgate as seen in many photos, so this must be Market Street.
This postcard clearly shows Boots on Broadgate Thumbs up
Coventry's Markets
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
93 of 98  Sun 26th Feb 2017 11:27am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1735

Yes, these old photo's really do bring back old memories. But to me I believe the first world war was the start of the picture postcard, at the start of the twentieth century the only way people could communicate to others afar was by writing, and with photo's making giant strides someone put them together. With mass production thousands of cards were sent to the troops, I believe the Royal Mail and the Army had a special service. The Three Spires was the most popular postcard for Midlanders, but in the twenties and thirties the picture postcard was cheap and easy to send small items of news, with three deliveries a day was fast and efficient. Today we are most grateful for those cards to look back on history. The second war, it was widely used for home use, farther afield the six-penny airmail came in to use.
Coventry's Markets
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
94 of 98  Mon 11th Sep 2017 8:45pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1536

Thanks to Derrick Greer on the True Cov FB page - possibly the best / clearest post war image of the complete tower I have seen.
Coventry's Markets
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
95 of 98  Mon 11th Sep 2017 10:02pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4469

Thanks, Neil Thumbs up
Coventry's Markets
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
96 of 98  Tue 26th Sep 2017 4:06pm  

NeilsYard. I believe in the foreground where the photographer stood was the old fish market, and over to the right was the domed market hall, there was Weaver to Wearer, I believe, between the market and Burtons. The market tower was there early '45 when I went away, but had gone when I returned in '48. Someone said the council thought it stuck out like a sore thumb and was a pigeon haven, so the council pulled it down and made neat little piles of rubble that matched the rest of the rubble, and the pigeons moved on. I think a delayed bomb went off in Broadgate about 11am Friday morning. I believe the words you see on the front of Holy Trinity - "It all depends on me and I depend on God".
Coventry's Markets
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
97 of 98  Wed 27th Sep 2017 8:33am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:746

That is a very good picture Neil. I never noticed how decorated it was. I wonder if it was painted on or done with different bricks.
Coventry's Markets
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
98 of 98  Wed 27th Sep 2017 10:45am  

Helen F. Yes it is a good photo, very close up and only a few weeks after the raid I would think, no one puts dates on photos in books, also I believe it was brickwork decoration, they loved that kind of work before the war. I remember the small tile decorations of entrances to houses. but that market tower survived while all round was flattened. I think it deserved to have been incorporated in the new city. The Army came in for a while and cleaned up the main streets for transport to operate, but the council took a long time to really move the rubble, in fact some people said, it's a city still suffering from 'piles' even in the late fifties. The markets formed their own ARP or HG, unit same as the factories.
Coventry's Markets

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 98 of 98 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's development
|

Next (newer) topic

Longford (inc. The Red Hills)
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 50ms)