Next pageNo action
586 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
571 of 586  Wed 13th Dec 2017 8:35am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3947

Hi all Wave Wave I noticed this headline today, Do you hate your job? This is awful. If I had hated my job that much, I would have changed it. We spend a huge chunk of our lives working, so not to feel a sense of achievement is a health issue, both physical as well as mental. I am reminded of this subject today as I am attending my Finance Dept Christmas lunch, meeting with chums from work who I last worked with seventeen years ago. I count myself so very fortunate.
News, Media and Current Affairs - Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
572 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 9:08am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4827

Although this article refers to an incident elsewhere in the UK, it is relevant to all you youngsters Wink driving to and from work in the Coventry area - perhaps worth checking your policy to ensure you're properly covered? Oh my
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
573 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 9:52am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:399

I've been driving for decades, and have never had a policy that didn't cover SDP and a fixed place of work. I didn't know there was such a thing as a policy that excluded the latter. I can understand a retiree not wanting to pay extra cash for something he/she didn't need.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
574 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 9:59am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:924

The insurance companies are naughty in that they often don't ask specifically if people will travel to work in the car. It's bunched together with 'social and domestic' and is easy to miss. I was only aware of it because I used to be insured for travel to the odd meeting at a sister site. It wasn't easy finding an insurer that wouldn't charge the Earth for that to be added. I opted for those that offered 'light business use, not for travelling sales' and increasingly insurers offer that as standard. It's worth trying various different descriptions of your job title to get a better deal. Comprehensive insurance is often cheaper than 3rd party fire and theft because it suggests that you value your car and will look after it. Very low mileage will drive your insurance up. Using your mobile phone as a sat nav is illegal as it's the equivalent of using your phone while driving. Beware letting your details roll over at an insurer and make sure that the comparison web sites copy your details to the insurer properly. Apart from needing to change insurer to get a good deal, I recently had to redo my house insurance because after the basic questions had changed and new questions were added, my details at the insurer didn't make sense any more. There were multiple mistakes on the insurance form, that I couldn't possibly have made. One maybe but there were many wrong answers. My historical answers stayed the same but the questions changed around them. Oh my To most of you these things will be well known, but we all had to learn them from somewhere.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
575 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 10:28am  

On 18th Dec 2017 9:08am, Midland Red said: Although this article refers to an incident elsewhere in the UK, it is relevant to all you youngsters Wink driving to and from work in the Coventry area - perhaps worth checking your policy to ensure you're properly covered? Oh my
When I first read the article, I thought several people were involved, probably using it as a taxi for financial reward, which most probably would not be covered by the insurance.

Police seize a driver's car as they returned from work because they 'weren't insured for COMMUTING'

It starts off implying the singular, then has three references to the plural. Newspapers again. Feh!
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
576 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 10:40am  

On 18th Dec 2017 9:59am, Helen F said: Using your mobile phone as a sat nav is illegal as it's the equivalent of using your phone while driving.
That's interesting, Helen. I was being driven round London yesterday by a lady who had her mobile in front of her on an arm stuck to the windscreen, just to the left of her. (In my opinion, it was obstructing her field of vision. Then it became unstuck from its holder, and she spent ages fiddling with it with one hand, whilst still driving, and talking to the passengers in the rear. She was clearly being distracted from her driving, and I did not feel very safe.) But she was using it in satnav mode. In 2009 the comedian Jimmy Carr was found not guilty of using his mobile phone at the wheel. He had Mr Loophole on the case, and claimed that he was only using it as a dictating machine, not as a mobile phone. I think it's called a point of law. Jimmy Carr gets off phone while driving charge
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
577 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 11:19am  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:403

Regarding Mr. Carr and his 'dictation' machine - I'm pretty sure all mobile calls are recorded and kept for a period of time. If the judge wanted to he could have requested a search. It would prove one way or t'other if he was honest.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
578 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 12:17pm  

It may be that they tightened the law since then. I know that I was surprised when I heard it on TV. Personally I think ordinary sat navs are distracting. I think the commands sometimes make people think that they should act immediately. Thus people turn down railway lines or pull out of junctions without looking. In the early days, our sat nav told us to do a U turn on the motorway! Oh my The current one has traffic data too and regularly asks me if I want to change my route, which would involve fiddling with the remote control. I want a setting that looks for the easiest junctions and roads and absolutely never asks me to pull out of a grass choked back road to turn right onto a busy A road. Angry
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
579 of 586  Mon 18th Dec 2017 5:47pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:21

The inclusion of sat-nav's in the driving test is interesting considering this capability is available on most mobile phones. Before I retired I travelled a lot on business for a university and regularly used a hands free mobile phone, however, I have always considered the control of the vehicle to be the top priority to the extent that, when a traffic situation could develop I would regularly loose track of the conversation whilst observing the road conditions. Practising the IAM advanced driving techniques definitely assisted in producing this response. The university eventually recommended that the use of mobile phones was not approved by drivers' on university travel due to research indicating that use of the mobile phone, with or without the use of hands free, had exactly the same level of distraction to driving. This was evaluated as equivalent to drinking four beers!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
580 of 586  Wed 14th Feb 2018 9:12am  

I take it that this is some sort of wind-up? Oh my Roll eyes
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
581 of 586  Wed 14th Feb 2018 9:42am  

I hope so MR. The UK has been ejected from the European Capital of Culture (despite being in the EU not a prerequisite.) I'd expect this to go the same way (after everyone has done the work and spent money). You'd have thought that the city had enough on its plate with the City of Culture.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
582 of 586  Tue 20th Feb 2018 4:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3947

"Asay, Asay, what dozy hen is running this joint"? "They need me to run it son, me a big bird brain"! "Now look son, they couldn't get it much worse, Asay now"! Off to McDonalds. Oh my
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
583 of 586  Tue 20th Feb 2018 5:07pm  

Wink Wink Wink
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
584 of 586  Fri 2nd Mar 2018 4:55pm  

WARNING! Suspected charity scammers targeting people in city centre Angry
mattash
Rugby
All posts by this member
585 of 586  Sat 3rd Mar 2018 11:37am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:612

With this weather at the moment, I would like to say that at least Coventry Council are keeping the main roads clear of ice and snow. On checking the ideal speed of gritting vehicles, i.e 25mph, 40 mph, 45 mph, for laying the rock salt effectively it is a shame that the driver employed by the Rugby Borough Council does not know this. Going down the A45 towards Cov I was doing 60 and he was in excess of this leaving me behind. I seen him again going down School Lane at Stretton definitely over the 30 limit and again Thurs at Bilton traffic lights heading for Cawston. I fully expected his two offside wheels to leave the tarmac he was leaning over that much going round the bend - me, heading the other way got the grit straight across my windscreen. He is an idiot and our roads are a disgrace. Going home along the Ashlawn Road, which is a main bus route from Dunchurch and with a school on it, looked as though no grit had been dropped at all. Where I live there is a lot of elderly people (Hillmorton) and we cannot get off the estate because the Council cannot grit one road (steep hill). They have been asked but refuse. On the few days every few years that we might get snow they save a few pounds to waste a small fortune on flowers. RUGBY COUNCIL IS A DISGRACE TO ITS COUNCIL TAX PAYERS. Sorry this might be in the wrong place, but being elderly I cannot get any milk for my coffee and I need a caffeine hit. Edited by member, 3rd Mar 2018 11:42 am

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 571 to 585 of 586 posts

Page 39 of 40

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 36 37 38 39 40
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Sorry state
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Weather Bulletins
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 112ms)