No actionNo action
61 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
61 of 61  Sat 24th Sep 2016 12:41pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1705

I looked out my lounge window a couple of days ago, and there was a pool of water all over the pathway - a workman came out and placed two planks of wood so people could negotiate without getting wet and . . . The new Precinct was a quagmire of mud and water, as I guided Mrs Chaplin along the roped planked pathway from the Lower Precinct to Broadgate, plank bridges on scaffolding poles in places, one huge building site in mud and water. Mrs Chaplin told me her fears and anxieties as we walked. Billy her son thought he may be recalled into the forces (reservist) and be sent to Korea. China had stepped in as well, like most people she feared atomic bombs would be used. National Service had been increased to two years. The state of affairs in Egypt, people spoke of the fear of the future, the chaos of the re-building.The purpose that got things done, which they knew in the war years, had gone. A few months ago Coventry had laid a statue of Lady Godiva in Broadgate, a symbol of a new city and new hopes, but rationing was still troublesome, petrol, soap, sugar, tea, clothes, and much more were still with us, and meat rations were to be reduced. War and the rationing were robbing people of vitality and humour. Coventry had good employment and wages, but people still had to scrimp and save for holidays. On average, a couple of 'bob' a week was spent on the football coupons. I think most people's budget around that time was near £5 a week.
Food Office and food rationing

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 61 of 61 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Swiss trip, 1946
|

Next (newer) topic

Alexandra Terrace, Foleshill
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 87ms)