No actionNo action
276 posts:
Order:    

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
271 of 276  Wed 19th Oct 2016 12:40am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3082

I remember Helen Shapiro appearing at the Belgrade at the height of her popularity and hoping to get a glimpse of her at one of the windows behind the theatre. I never did but what puzzles me is that I had already left Bond Street by 1961 although it's possible I was visiting a friend who still lived there I suppose.

You know when you've got old
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
272 of 276  Wed 2nd Nov 2016 10:20pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3082

You know you have got old when... Someone tells you they have Bluetooth and you suggest they visit their dentist. You can remember when there was only one type of battery to choose from.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
273 of 276  Wed 3rd May 2017 1:39pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:991

A 75 year old friend of mine in New Zealand was called to the local doctor's surgery to have his flu jab. After letting the receptionist know he was there he sat down to wait. 20 minutes later he got up and left. He went back home. A few minutes later his phone rang. It was the surgery wanting to know where he was. "Well, as I am talking to you at the number you rang I thought you might guess I am at home." "Why didn't you wait for your flu jab." "I did. But after 20 minutes it came to me that you all have more opportunities to waste 20 minutes in your futures than I have in my own future." He put the phone down. He got on with his business of the day. An hour later the nurse from the surgery drew up in her car and, with a very broad smile, gave him his flu jab.
Last of the Inkers
Windsor
All posts by this member
274 of 276  Fri 30th Jun 2017 6:32pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:205

The following is only for a bit of amusement, but perhaps contains a degree of truth! The young desire change. The old desire continuity. The young desire novelty. The old desire familiarity. The young desire adventure. The old desire serenity. The young desire technology. The old desire greenery. The young desire celebrity. The old desire affinity. The young desire success. The old desire participation. The young desire victory. The old desire the game itself. The young desire accumulation. The old desire retention. The young desire alcohol. The old desire cake. The young desire each other. The old desire cats and dogs. I did subsequently add "The young desire Facebook. The old desire a good book." which provided me with some low level mirth, but now I have decided against it, because it detracts from what I believe to be the broader and more significant observation. Which is that our values change as we age. Thus, the 20 year old who currently values many of the elements contained in column one will, by the time they reach 60 plus, have gradually switched to more of the elements contained in column two. Of course, these are not necessarily 'either - or' but this presentation serves to highlight the sorts of choices we find ourselves making which seem to be influenced by age. Again, not to be taken too seriously, but it is interesting to me how this has played out in my own life. It is not a groundbreaking revelation but it does, I feel, tend to get overlooked in the inter-generational differences of viewpoint that sporadically burst forth. I don't have children, so maybe this is stating the obvious to those that do. Edited by member, 30th Jun 2017 9:38 pm
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
275 of 276  Tue 4th Jul 2017 10:27am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4294

'Tainted Love' by Soft Cell was released nearer to the end of the Second World War than to today. Oh my
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
276 of 276  Thu 6th Jul 2017 11:25am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2870

It has finally caught up with me - Oh heavens above, I am getting just like my Mum Roll eyes

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 271 to 276 of 276 posts

Page 19 of 19

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 16 17 18 19
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Our Philip
|

Next (newer) topic

Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 107ms)