No actionNo action
2 posts:
Order:    

Roger T
Torksey
All posts by this member
1 of 2  Tue 2nd Sep 2014 9:36pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2019  Total posts:569

I have started this topic, by way of showing my appreciation for the chance which Night School at the Technical College in the Butts for ONC Building offered and for HNC Building at the Old Lanchester College I was pretty useless at Seconday Education and only got 3 "O" levels, possibly having missed out from a lot of early education due to hospitalisation and a disproportionate love of cricket and rugby football. To cut a long story short, I went away to sea for 10 years as a purser, met my wife to be and gave up that career (to be quite honest I was enjoying life too much and felt I should return to the `real` world.) I joined the Surveyor`s dept of a building firm, part of the deal being I learned something about the trade. So to Night School I went. ONC Technical Drawing and construction, Mr. Parker Maths, Mr. Rathbone Building Science, Mr. Alan Heal Accounts, ? The teaching was excellent and the course was free (don`t know if my company paid!) HNC -similar results. I am profoundly grateful for that help. I hope similar opportunity still exists for present day dropouts and late developers.
Night School
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 2  Tue 2nd Sep 2014 10:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4155

Hello Roger Wave Hi all Wave Thank you for your posts. Three O levels was no mean achievement. The current GCSE's were the replacement of O levels, because so many youngsters (the majority) left school with nothing. GCSE's provided employers with a measuring stick by which to measure a greater number of school leavers, who had not reached an O level standard. I was very glad of the O level re-take facility in the November following that years results. That has now just been taken away which does give me serious concern, just as it does you. Sad
Night School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Street "Entertainment"
|

Next (newer) topic

Camden Street
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category