Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2371

Coventry City Ladies Football Club
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
2 of 18  Wed 3rd Sep 2014 6:04pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:881

That article covers the emergence of the factory teams during and after WW1 which led to the prohibition of women's teams playing on League grounds. However, it is by no means a comprehensive history of women's football in Coventry. During the 1970s we saw the era of Coventry's most successful team in competitive terms, Coventry Bantams. They were in the Heart of England League as there were no national leagues for women then, and played their home matches at Coventry Sporting in Kirby Corner Road. They were certainly the strongest team in the Midlands for several years and reached the semi-final of the Women's FA Cup on one occasion. They had international players in their line-up too, and regularly beat the teams from Aston Villa, Birmingham City etc. Although I was involved with the team at that time, it would seem that there may not be much archive material if nobody kept records. I suspect that the best source may be the Coventry Evening Telegraphs of the time. Or of course from the players themselves. Certainly no account would be complete without it. I am aware that Bantams were not the only women's team in Coventry at that time but they were the most successful.
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 18  Mon 22nd Sep 2014 7:31pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:44

Hello Mister D-Di The article was never intended to be a comprehensive history of women's football in Coventry.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
4 of 18  Tue 23rd Sep 2014 1:55am  

I realise that. What I am saying is that the team of the 70s had considerable success and was certainly in the top 10 teams in the country. I have some great memories of being involved back in the day, and I'm sure the players did too. They will all be in their 50s/60s now. Despite the success, it seems that nobody has kept any records of even the basics such as fixtures, results and scorers which is a great pity. The leagues and even the WFA are long defunct too so it would seem that the records are lost forever. Even the CET was reluctant to publish much in the way of match reports as I recall. I fear the chances of a comprehensive history ever being established are very remote.
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 18  Wed 24th Sep 2014 6:51pm  

I would be amazed if the Telegraph kept any sort of records. Due to your involvement in the 1970's you may consider contributing to a documentary which is being prepared by Metal Dog Media of Far Gosford Street. This will cover the emergence of the WW1 munition workers teams, formation of Coventry City Ladies F.C. in 1921, and women's football played in Coventry thereafter. If you are interested then please contact: Fran Porter email: franporter@me.com Please mention my name. This would be a great opportunity for you to record the knowledge you have for posterity as I believe very little would have been recorded in our local newspaper.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
6 of 18  Thu 25th Sep 2014 10:19am  

Thanks for that. I will drop them an email in the next few days. Thumbs up
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 18  Thu 25th Sep 2014 7:16pm  

Can anyone help? I am researching the formation of Coventry City Ladies Football Club in 1921. The club was formed by a gentleman named P. Johnson. I have no other information on him. I know its not much to go on but I have to try. I have checked the Coventry Directories for 1919/1920 and 1920/1921 at the Herbert History Centre. The following P. Johnson's were listed: Percy Harold Johnson born 12/5/1906, married Rose Ellen Johnson in 1930 Southwark London. He would have been aged 15 in 1921 so I believe it will not be him. Percy Albert Johnson born 1914 in Dudley. He would have been aged 7 in 1921 so it is definitely not him. PROBABLES: Percy Herbert Johnson born 1880 in Aston, married Ellen May M. Bates in Coventry in 1909. A daughter Phyllis E. Johnson was born in Coventry in 1913. The family lived at 10 Gordon Street, Spon End, Coventry. Possible marriages for Phyllis E, Johnson: to James H. Meek 1932 Birmingham South to George H. Pitkin 1939 Birmingham Percy H. Johnson died Coventry 1939 aged 59. Ellen May M. Johnson died Warwick 1959 aged 77 Percy John Beardmore Johnson born 1881 Cheadle, Staffordshire, married Minnie Mosley 1912 Cheadle, no children? They lived at 107 Oliver Street, Foleshill, Coventry Percy died in 1943 in Cheadle. Minnie died in 1966 in Coventry. Any of this familiar to anyone?
ChrisC
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 18  Thu 25th Sep 2014 8:17pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:8

All of those possibles have the same Christian name: Percy. Is that just a coincidence?
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 18  Sat 27th Sep 2014 12:37pm  

Hi ChrisC Yes it is pure co-incidence. Frederick Selman, the chairman of Coventry City Ladies F.C lived in Foleshill. There was a Foleshill Ladies F.C. and I wondered if that team provided the basis of the Coventry club, as there is no mention of a Foleshill Ladies team thereafter, to my knowledge. Selman was employed at the old A.L.Dunns works on Foleshill Road. Also Percy John Beardmore Johnson lived at 107 Over Street which is close to Foleshill. May all be co-incidence but I am not sure at all.
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 18  Mon 9th Jan 2017 2:06pm  

BERNARD BOYLAND I am trying to make contact with Bernard Boyland who was manager of Coventry Bantams Ladies Football Club in the early 1970's. I believe he may be in the Bulkington area. I am researching the history of ladies football in Coventry. Please can anyone help? Many thanks Lionel Bird.
Midland Red

All posts by this member
11 of 18  Mon 9th Jan 2017 2:57pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4153

He appears to be on Facebook Thumbs up - try that (don't know how it works, though Oh my )
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 18  Wed 11th Jan 2017 9:52am  

Thanks Midland Red. I do not know how to use Facebook either! Could anyone out there get a Facebook message to Bernard Boyland please?
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
13 of 18  Wed 11th Jan 2017 10:24am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:988

Hi Lionel. I have sent the Bernard on Facebook a message. He may not read it as people sometimes don't if they get a message from someone they don't know. I was wondering how old the Bernard you are trying to contact would be.
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 18  Mon 16th Jan 2017 10:33am  

Hi Annewiggy Bernard would be in his 60's. Thanks for your help.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
15 of 18  Mon 16th Jan 2017 10:54am  
Off-topic / chat  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry swimming (pools & swimmers)
|

Next (newer) topic

Foleshill Road
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 59ms)