No actionNo action
12 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 12  Mon 4th Oct 2010 7:14pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1045

My friend Brian in Australia sent me a newspaper cutting recently, which tells us about a bit of a character who used to wonder around Coventry. I don't actually remember seeing him, but by the sound of the newspaper story, he must have been well known by many. There's no date, but if this chap was 63 and served in WWII, then I would guess it was probably early 1980s. I thought this might be a good place to share a piece of old news. The photo below the article is Brian's...
'Little Jimmy'
BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 12  Sat 9th Oct 2010 11:53am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:119

Eccentrics and 'tramps' back then were certainly a lot more interesting than today's breed of young men begging in subways. I liked that crazy dude with the mobility scooter the best in the 1980's.
'Little Jimmy'
Lorraine
Rugby
All posts by this member
3 of 12  Mon 8th Nov 2010 9:07pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:1

I remember Little Jimmy. As teenagers in the 1970s we often used to see him in town on a Saturday. To be honest - at the time I think we were a bit frightened of him, but he was a lovely chap - always smiling
'Little Jimmy'
DiDav
Rugby
All posts by this member
4 of 12  Sat 5th Mar 2011 5:36pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2011  Total posts:4

Wow what a blast from the past! I remember him regularly coming round the market when I worked there as a teenager in the late 70's. He always seemed to be happy.
'Little Jimmy'
Wighter
Isle of Wight
All posts by this member
5 of 12  Sat 5th Mar 2011 5:48pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2011  Total posts:34

I remember Little Jimmy, but going on from eccentric Coventry characters, does anyone remember "Happy"? He used to be a sandwich board man advertising Benleys (the shop before Intershop was there and since then, The Litten Tree) He used to shout "Happy! Some on the back! Some on the front!" (This would refer to his sandwich board!) This would be in the 1960's.
'Little Jimmy'
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 12  Mon 7th Mar 2011 12:42pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4550

You'll find mention of "Happy" and a photo if you follow this link
'Little Jimmy'
Vtopian
Hertfordshire
All posts by this member
7 of 12  Sun 17th Jul 2011 10:07pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:47

There was another chap around this time (unless it was also Little Jimmy) who used to wear white gloves and use them to direct the traffic - my father always referred to him as 'sunshine'.
ManFromVtopia

'Little Jimmy'
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 12  Sun 17th Jul 2011 10:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3840

Opposite my Courtaulds office that I had in the late sixties & early seventies which fronted onto the Foleshill Rd, near to the canal bridge, there used to be a large square paved area. I saw a gent, as described by Vtopian, marching as though he was on a parade on an army parade ground. Another member of staff told me that he often did it, as I was to find out time & time again. He was very smartly dressed, maybe a Salvation Army type uniform, along with a flat cap & white gloves. So, I ask the question, was this Jimmy? Whilst we can smile at such a chacacter, which I am sure that I did at the time as I liked him, he is a reminder to me of how small the gap is between the loss of the gentle light of reason. Who knows.
'Little Jimmy'
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 12  Sun 17th Jul 2011 10:34pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:261

The man wearing the white gloves was not Little Jimmy, it was Happy, I remember them both well. Thumbs up
'Little Jimmy'
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 12  Sun 17th Jul 2011 11:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3840

Thank you for that, mayjan. Thumbs up
'Little Jimmy'
LesM
Melbourne, Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 12  Mon 18th Jul 2011 1:53am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:47

You're right mayjan it was Happy, although I stand to be corrected but I think he was also interchangibly called Sunshine. What a pleasant sight he was as he rode around the City centre on his bike, so distinct with his white gloves and straight back waving to pedestrians.
'Little Jimmy'
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
12 of 12  Mon 18th Jul 2011 5:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4550

If you look back on this thread (7 Mar 2011) there's a link to info on this subject
'Little Jimmy'

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Alfred Herbert Ltd, Gosford Street works
|

Next (newer) topic

Herbert Chapman football photographs
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 66ms)